Review, Future Sonics Atrios: Comparison between different tips
Mar 16, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #46 of 237

Quote:
Wow, that's cool about keeping the tips for upgraded version of the M5.  I have a question, though.  Because I am able to fit Klipsch silicone tips on my Atrio, should I be able to fit the custom mold tips onto from the Atrio on my Klipsch Custom 3?

And good job for taking the plunge (I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting to see how it turn outs
popcorn.gif
).

I've got about 60 hrs burn in on my Atrios, loving them more every day.

How are the single flange Klipsh's on the Atrios?  I've been using Klipsch double flanges, but don't have singles.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #47 of 237

Quote:
How are the single flange Klipsh's on the Atrios?  I've been using Klipsch double flanges, but don't have singles.

Abysmal.  I was having serious misgivings about my new headphone purchase, until I took off the Klipsch tips and put on the stock foam ones (now I use the small foams exculsively.)  The bass was good, but the mids sounded like recessed, muddled garbage.  Acoustic music was out of the question, anything with vocals was out of the question.

But not anymore.  Now I'm just. . . in heaven. . . (currently listening to Random Album Title, by Deadmau5)

Mar 17, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #48 of 237

Quote:

Wow, that's cool about keeping the tips for upgraded version of the M5.  I have a question, though.  Because I am able to fit Klipsch silicone tips on my Atrio, should I be able to fit the custom mold tips onto from the Atrio on my Klipsch Custom 3?

Well that makes sense. If you're able to fit the Klipsch silicone tips on on your Atrios then I don't see any reason why the custom mold tips from Atrio can't fit on the Klipsch Custom 3.

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #49 of 237
I have found the solution!  At least for me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NH0V1M
These are the Shure soft flex sleeves for the Shure e2c.  If you are not familiar with that phone, it is no longer made but what is important is that it was a larger diameter nozzle, similar to the Panasonic HJE900 or UE TF10.  This means it has the larger sound hole.  It is also a different (better/softer) material than the Shure soft flex sleeves with the small sound hole that fit the Atrios.

To make them fit, I cut the stalk off a pair of the stock FS biflange sleeves.  I put the cut off stalks on the Atrios and then slid the PA749M (now called EASFX2-10M) on top of those.  These are extremely comfortable and best of all have the same bass as the foam olives but also have the treble of the stock biflanges.

This also would work with the Sony Hybrids.  The problem with the Sony's is their medium is smaller than everyone elses definition of medium, so they are too small for me.  Once again these Shures work perfectly!  I had already owned these Shure tips b/c I used to own the e2c and had forgotten about them.  Finally my Atrio sparkle is back!!

Edit: To me these Shure sleeves are more comfortable/softer than the Sony Hybrids.

Edit 2: Some of the pictures sellers use for these make them look like the version with the smaller hole.  I assure you they are not.  The smaller hole sleeves are grey and are for the newer line of Shures.  The larger hole version is black and is for discontinued models.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Mar 17, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #50 of 237

Quote:
These are the Shure soft flex sleeves for the Shure e2c.  If you are not familiar with that phone, it is no longer made but what is important is that it was a larger diameter nozzle, similar to the Panasonic HJE900 or UE TF10.  This means it has the larger sound hole.  It is also a different (better/softer) material than the Shure soft flex sleeves with the small sound hole that fit the Atrios.

To make them fit, I cut the stalk off a pair of the stock FS biflange sleeves.  I put the cut off stalks on the Atrios and then slid the PA749M (now called EASFX2-10M) on top of those.  These are extremely comfortable and best of all have the same bass as the foam olives but also have the treble of the stock biflanges.

This also would work with the Sony Hybrids.  The problem with the Sony's is their medium is smaller than everyone elses definition of medium, so they are too small for me.  Once again these Shures work perfectly!  I had already owned these Shure tips b/c I used to own the e2c and had forgotten about them.  Finally my Atrio sparkle is back!!

Edit: To me these Shure sleeves are more comfortable/softer than the Sony Hybrids.

Edit 2: Some of the pictures sellers use for these make them look like the version with the smaller hole.  I assure you they are not.  The smaller hole sleeves are grey and are for the newer line of Shures.  The larger hole version is black and is for discontinued models.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Cool idea.  I have some of those sleeves laying around, I think; I'll have to give this a try.  You're right about the nozzle being much larger than sometimes pictured.  I'll give it a go and post impressions later.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #51 of 237
Any pictures of this idea?  I guess since none of the stock silicone tips from FS work I can cut them to bits

Mar 17, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #52 of 237

Quote:
Any pictures of this idea?  I guess since none of the stock silicone tips from FS work I can cut them to bits

Pics would be great.  Hey scannon, I assume you've tried the small silicone tips?  I wear a medium in like everything except for FS silicones, which do much better for me in small.

Mar 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #53 of 237
FYI, I have updated my OP with more tips: FutureSonics silicones (small), Klipsch double flanges (small and large), and JAYS tips.  Some of my conclusions changed, so go have a look!

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #54 of 237

Quote:

The pics in this link are of cn11 de-coring a Shure olive and using it's core to fit a Sony Hybrid over for the M5. What I did is the same thing.  Instead of using the core of a foam tip, I just cut off the stalk of the bi-flanges, leaving the stalk as long as possible.  Put the stalk on with the cut side towards your ear, then slide the Shure tips over them. 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/232312/futuresonics-atrio-m5/2190#post_6131069

Edit: just remember that Sony Hybrid mediums are smaller than the mediums from the Shure e2c.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #55 of 237
I just de-cored the large FS foams and used that with the Shure sleeves. Works even better; no rough cut ends to obscure the sound hole.  Treble and Bass, living together in perfect harmony...

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #56 of 237

Quote:

To make them fit, I cut the stalk off a pair of the stock FS biflange sleeves.  I put the cut off stalks on the Atrios and then slid the PA749M (now called EASFX2-10M) on top of those.  These are extremely comfortable and best of all have the same bass as the foam olives but also have the treble of the stock biflanges.

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

I just did this, using cores from Shure Olives to act essentially as an adapter for the nozzle to bump up the diameter.  I tried Shure e2c, meelec M9 (or m11, or something) and HJE900 tips.  The HJE900 tips suck, just like they do on the HJE900's, so no surprise there.  The meelec triple flanges are a serious competitor, and the double flanges are ok too.  But the single flange e2c tips...

I'm not sure that I'd go as far to say they sonically match or outperform the FutureSonics small silicone double flanges included with the phones, but they're damn close and with 100% less pain and agony.  I'll give these a serious audition and add them to the OP, with pictures...when I manage to pry them out of my ears, that is...

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #57 of 237
I just spent a couple of hours with them doing yard work. Comfortable and awesome sound. It was great! Someone needs to convince Future Sonics to produce or source a tip just like the e2c tips but modified for the m5 nozzle and package them with it.

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #58 of 237
Wow, I've got a lot of ideas to try. 

@ Bazirker, I tried the small tips, still no luck.  I guess everyone's ears are unique. . .

I am going to try the Radian's custom mold, one of these days, but it looks some of you guys have found solutions.  Looks like there may be hope yet.

and +1 for the M5.  I will gladly go through a thousands eartips to find the perfect one for these headphones.  What they do for dubstep no other IEM has been able to do, at least of the ones I have tried.

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #59 of 237
Also I just ordered a Monster Supertip kit with gels and foams.  The come with adapters to fit the nozzle on the M5 according to Monster's web site.  I have a pair of their gel mediums that a fellow headfier supplied with the HJE900's I just bought.  The are really comfortable but their medium is bigger than normal mediums.  I bought them to use with the HJE900's but  I'll report back how the do with the M5's when I get them.

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #60 of 237

Quote:
Also I just ordered a Monster Supertip kit with gels and foams.  The come with adapters to fit the nozzle on the M5 according to Monster's web site.  I have a pair of their gel mediums that a fellow headfier supplied with the HJE900's I just bought.  The are really comfortable but their medium is bigger than normal mediums.  I bought them to use with the HJE900's but  I'll report back how the do with the M5's when I get them.

Yes, I'd be very interested to see how this turns out.       

Users who are viewing this thread

Back