RE0 and why I can not recommend them to anyone
Jun 5, 2011 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 110
I'm not huge into IEMs or portable headphones for that matter, I'm rather happy with an $80-$120 pair I can beat up and not worry too much, without sacrificing on sound quality. I had a pair of Apple Dual Driver IEMs which were pleasant to the ears and held up amazingly through my 8 mile bike rides every day and 2 mile runs after. I was astonished at this to be completely honest. When they finally broke, due to an animal chewing them, I decided to do some research for the price range and I came across the RE0. High recommended for their clarity and similar sound to the Ad700, which I love. When they arrived I tried them and instantly disliked the sound. That's expected as I was used to the sound of one IEM and switched to another, no big deal. I listened for hours and still never fell in love with them, the bass was just not enough, but it was there enough to tease me wanting more, which is funny since the Ad700 are anemic in the bass department. I felt they were too analytical and I was dissecting my music, so I never fell in love with them.

Then the build quality hit me, man do I hate the casing. Whoever thought to put ridges on any part of a headphone that will come into contact with the persons skin should be fired, and I'm not the only one who thinks this. The ridges irritated my ears on runs and rides to the point where I didn't even want to listen to music anymore. The cable also seemed rather fragile and cheap on top of things. Time goes on, with minimal use, and finally they broke, the casing opened up today while switching tips. Now let me explain, they've been sitting in a room of 70 F roughly for 2 months untouched, and the glue somehow gives way and they pull apart. Now I know I can super glue them back, but this is horrible. I've never had this happen to me, especially with IEMs I've treated good/barely used.

Needless to say I will never recommend these to anyone. The sound was mediocre for me at best, but the build quality just threw away any chances of me every recommending them, even to someone who likes the sound signature. I've e-mailed Head-Direct and am waiting to hear, but I have a feeling I'm going to get the shaft since I don't have proof of purchase anymore.

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 110
how sad,
this RE0 is highly over rated in my opinion. Some one on this forum has done a great dead to promote this thing or else why this are so popular when they dont even last two months?

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 110
Overrated? Nah. They're as good as everyone makes them out to be in my opinion. But of course, that's just me. Sure, they're lacking in bass but they still sound great to me, especially with EQ.

As for the statement about their durability, the pair that I bought in January of last year is still going strong and hasn't given me even a bit of trouble and is holding up just as well today as it was the day I bought them.

Quote:
how sad,
this RE0 is highly over rated in my opinion. Some one on this forum has done a great dead to promote this thing or else why this are so popular when they dont even last two months?

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 110

Quote:
how sad,

Mine have lasted 4 months.  IDK, it all depends I guess.  You do get the one year warranty...

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 110
A 1 year warranty is bad and only helps people who are "mega clumsy." A badly built product, such as this, will hold up long enough to ensure they only need to replace it once, maybe twice of heavy abuse. These headphones are built poorly as to fall apart so easily when I'm simply changing tips. That's bad build.

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 110
My RE0's are still going strong after two years.  I have not used the warranty, which has expired anyway.
Some of you seem careless.  Yes, I have put well over a couple thousand hours into them.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 110
I have a friend's pair of RE0 that he bought last May. They look all beat up with deep scratches on the housing, but still work perfectly fine.

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 110
Gonna back up the re0, they have been champs for me. I like the re0 sound (flavor) and I can totally understand if someone else doesn't. I bought them when they first came out. I have had "zero" problems. OOH punny.

Sam

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 110
They are called wu maos, fifty-cents. They get paid 50 cents for every post they make that steers the public opinion in favor of whatever product they are paid to praise and jack up public interests. Each person even has several accounts to avoid being too obvious. 

Quote:
how sad,

Jun 6, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #12 of 110
How did you arrive at that conclusion?  It sounds reasonable given how much hype is here at this forum and Jude vid's with his background full of advertisements.

Quote:
They are called wu maos, fifty-cents. They get paid 50 cents for every post they make that steers the public opinion in favor of whatever product they are paid to praise and jack up public interests. Each person even has several accounts to avoid being too obvious. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 110

If this were happening, we'd know about it. If you think it's happening and we seem not to, report one of the person's posts and we can check. As things go, the popularity of most gear tends to be the result of people new to the hobby raving about their first purchase, which is amazing to them. Much of that depends on the headphones mating well with the kind of music they like. It's not far different from iBud users trying Beats and thinking the bass is amazing, lacking anything else to compare to other than whatever other rubbish the store they are in sells.

More on topic though, I have RE-ZEROs and, other than having pretty nice treble, I have to run an EQ app on my iPhone (along with using a Pico Slim) to get good results with them. Even then, after having tried a considerable number of IEMs in a local store here, I think in the face of my full-sized can rig, no IEM is really going to satisfy me unless I was to buy a TOTL custom.

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #14 of 110
The sound is really subjective, and I found it to have enough bass for my ears. I can understand if anyone thinks it's too little for their tastes though. Coming from a guy who uses the PortaPros.

As for the build quality itself... On my initial impression, the build was rather mediocre. The cable seemed too thin and the whole thing felt flimsy. But after actually playing around with it, it was a lot tougher than it looked. It went through a lot of abuse from me, and it lasted over a year. Well, the connection is loose now, so I guess it's dead, but it took over 14 months to do that. I would gladly buy another one. The sound was great for the value.

Just my opinion.

Jun 6, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #15 of 110
Most forum software have IP tracking that warn the mod team when two or more member share the same IP. Some have even more advanced tools for deep IP tracking. I used to mod misticriver.net (one of the major English based iriver fans site) and it is not as easy as be a 'gunner' (the Chinese slang for posting-for-money) as you might think.

Anyway, I have the first generation RE0 from 3 years ago and still uses it on weekly basic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back