RE0 and why I can not recommend them to anyone
Jun 6, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 110
While Head-Direct might not be the epitome of solid build, I have used my RE0 for a long time with no case splitting or build issues, despite the cheap feel of the build. I have had friends who have theirs split however, but it's nothing some super glue cannot fix.

Maybe some people need to learn to actually take care of their gear.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #19 of 110

Quote:
While Head-Direct might not be the epitome of solid build, I have used my RE0 for a long time with no case splitting or build issues, despite the cheap feel of the build. I have had friends who have theirs split however, but it's nothing some super glue cannot fix.

Maybe some people need to learn to actually take care of their gear.

That is too, some of us just arent careful enough with Made in China gear..

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #20 of 110
I use RE0 and re zero for more than a year and I never had any problems.
Re262 I bought and I can say the same thing.
In addition, the rough does not give me any trouble and the sound of the headphones is great for the price as long as you are looking for that sound signature.
It makes me wonder a little when I read all those complaints, I also have shure, soundmagic, fischer and Sennheiser and can not find the hifiman so bad.
Sorry for my bad english.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #21 of 110
Enjoying my RE0 for about two years now on a weekly basis. Took me about 3 months to fully appreciate them. They're now my favourite IEM (and I have bought and sold a lot of different IEMs). Never had an issue with build quality or comfort. Excellent sound for a good price. Would recommend them to everyone looking for a analytical IEM that responds well to amping. I can imagine people buying the RE0 and not feeling the urge to upgrade for a LONG time. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #22 of 110
It doesn't matter if people have been using their RE0 for 10 years, the fact of the matter is that some models, with extremely light use over a year (80-100 hours), come apart with little pressure. This:

Should under no circumstances ever happen on a practically new model. I've never had these things in a temperature that would have melted the glue enough to come apart, in-fact most of their time they've been in a 68 F room and occasionally used outside on nice Spring days. That is a sign of bad build quality. Yes super glue can fix this, but that should never be a necessary fix by a user, rather optional if they decide to take the IEMs apart themselves. I wish I had bought the Apple Dual Driver IEMs again over these ten-fold. Also 36 hours and still no reply from Head-Direct customer support, that is bad customer support if you ask me.

While I'm at it, I notice a piece of foam around the driver, only a half circle though. Does anyone here have experience with taking it out? Perhaps more bass?

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 110

Quote:
They are called wu maos, fifty-cents. They get paid 50 cents for every post they make that steers the public opinion in favor of whatever product they are paid to praise and jack up public interests. Each person even has several accounts to avoid being too obvious. 

Because it's not possible that people actually like the RE0s?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #25 of 110
I had an earbud die on my Shure e3c.  Twice!  Both times replaced under the 2 year warranty, but still. 

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #26 of 110
48 hours with no reply from Head-Direct customer service, this is beginning to get very annoying to be honest. It's a shame too because I was really considering purchasing the RE-Zero because I've heard it fixes, almost, everything I disliked about the sound of the RE-0, but with the IEMs being this fragile and no service within 48 hours it deters me.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #27 of 110
Might not mean much to you, but Monday is one of the biggest holiday for Chinese where family members all get together since the weekend.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #28 of 110
I think its pot luck - a workmate and I had exactly the same problem as keanex is demonstrating in the photo above, but others claim to have had no issues with them. For me, it comes down to a simple design fault, or rather a 'fault line' at the very point where many of us put pressure on the tiny housings while trying to get a decent fit. I havent had any problems with the RE262 yet (touch wood), but if I do you can rest assured that I wont be buying anything else from HiFiMan. There are simply too many reports of problems with the build on the RE0 for it to be a case of 'vocal minority makes big noise about little problem'. As the OP said, mass market headphones with far less 'cred' last longer - I had a pair of $90 Sony IEMs that put up with a lot more abuse than the RE0 had to deal with, over a considerably longer period.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #30 of 110
Re0 was my first hifi IEM, and I thought it was the strongest IEM I have ever had.  I did have ibuds and skull candies before that.  I have yanked them countless times, and never got damaged.  So, I thought they were strong.  Maybe I didn't yank them hard enough.
biggrin.gif
  I can't speak for durability of all Re0, but mine was freakin strong!  Then again, I have had many IEMs, and never damaged any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back