Ramen-Fi!
Dec 3, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #47 of 185
Same as flamerz, I wait until my noodles are cooked, put the egg in, stir and pour in my bowl! Delicious!

Ok! I went to the store today and I bought shin ramyun and mama pad-something-not-thai. I'm glad I found the shin ramyun (not that many koreans in montreal), but I can just hope the mama's are going to be good!

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #48 of 185
My favorite Ramen is the first I ever had. It's still served, more than twenty years after that wonderful meal, at the same restaurant: Sapporo East, at 1st Ave and 10th St in NYC. It comes in a big bowl, with plenty of noodles, plus delicious fresh veggies, chunks of fish, and pork. I don't remember exactly what I last paid for this bowl of steaming goodness a few months ago, but I think it was in the vicinity of $7.50. Can't beat that.

Meantime, I'm stuck at home on this snowy Manhattan night, slurping up a bowl of Top Ramen shrimp flavor with a good shake of Tabasco. Not Sapporo East quality, but it'll do...

Oh yeah...the dish at Sapporo East is listed on the menu as Sapporo Special Ramen. Yumm.

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #49 of 185
Egg's are a ramen's best friend. I do the same thing, flamerz. I think it mellows out the spiciness of shin ramyun and gives it a rich flavor.

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #50 of 185
I like Creamy Chicken from the package w/ an egg also.

180px-Ramen-packet2.jpg

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #53 of 185
I like egg in all my other noodles so there's not much to lose honestly. But I must say I was disapointed in the no-egg shin ramyun. Of course in "goong" they eat it with an egg so it must be better that way! (kdrama)

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:09 AM Post #55 of 185
Surprisingly, when I think of my favorite ramen in Tokyo, of course the famous ones like Jangara in Harajuku and Tsukumo in Ebisu come to mind, but I actually really like the shio ramen at Koumen, at least the branch in Ebisu. That's despite (obviously) being a huge tonkotsu fan. For shoyu ramen there's a place in Nishi-Shinjuku called Musashi that I liked quite a bit, but I don't eat shoyu ramen very often. I honestly haven't had a great miso ramen, but that's probably because I don't seek it out.

In the US, the list of edible (ok that's an exaggeration) ramen drops dramatically to pretty much just one -- Setagaya ramen which just opened up here in NYC in the East Village. I haven't been to Momofuku, as it doesn't to seem particularly authentic so it doesn't have that much of an appeal to me. After that, I suppose Minca is edible, but just avoid the cha shu, which just tastes like pure black carbon. I guess some people seem to think the ramen at Sapporo or Menkuitei or Ajisen are real ramen, but they aren't really. They wouldn't serve ramen that bad at the worst truck stop in Japan (slight exaggeration... well, maybe not).

Other than that, I can't say I've had decent ramen much else here in the States. I suppose there's Sapporo and Tampopo in San Francisco, but again, these places are like Sapporo or Menkuitei here in New York. Well Tampopo isn't terrible, but it's just not that good...

I think I'd rather have a good bowl of Goota or other fancy instant ramen that eating at most of these places. But unfortunately you can't get Goota here in the States. Someone linked a picture above to a nissin miso ramen that looked like it might be good.

Other than that, call me simple -- I like the Nissin Cup O' Noodle. Sapporo ichi-ban kitsune instant ramen isn't bad. Nong Shim Kimchee Bowl Ramen is a classic for the Korean stuff...

Man, now I'm seriously craving a bowl of ramen...
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Dec 4, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #56 of 185
Ramen with ham and green onions, with a splash of teriyaki sauce.

Dec 4, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #57 of 185
I just had a original Ichiban, very good for when you don't want something too flavorful. It isn't too flavorful but yet it tastes great, very recommended as an alternative noodle.

I haven't tasted my new mama's yet.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #58 of 185
i do this when lazy Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to enjoy eating it dry, usually with a beer.

Haven't had that much lately, but it was enough with an empty wallet. I still cook it here and there, but I like to stir in a couple of scrambled eggs, some onions, and maybe some veggies.

Dec 5, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #59 of 185
Call me old fashioned, but I like Beef Maruchan with Sriracha hot sauce.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #60 of 185
I just bought 10 packs of different Ramen to 'test the recipes'...thanks headfi
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back