R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Apr 18, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #4,381 of 4,410
If I remember right, that resamples everything to that sample rate.

Do later versions *never* play at these high rates even for hi res content shown as being encoded at these high rates?

Correct, the earlier version plays everything at 24/192 and the status bar says 192 always.

The most recent version plays everything at 44.1 and the status bar says 44.1 always. Amazon reports 16/44.1 as device capability for anything over 44.1, but does report 24/44.1 only for 44.1 tracks (not 48 or higher).

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #4,383 of 4,410
Correct, the earlier version plays everything at 24/192 and the status bar says 192 always.

The most recent version plays everything at 44.1 and the status bar says 44.1 always. Amazon reports 16/44.1 as device capability for anything over 44.1, but does report 24/44.1 only for 44.1 tracks (not 48 or higher).

This appears to be fixed now (plays at 24/192 now). Not sure if it was the firmware update or an Amazon app update (I did both at the same time).

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #4,384 of 4,410
A public service announcement regarding TIDAL on our devices

Currently, TIDAL (builds starting from 2.87.1 that included Max level FLACs) does not seem to be working properly for devices of Android version 10 or below.
I included my investigation results (how I arrived at this conclusion) here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tidal-lossless-streaming.733233/page-340#post-17695132

One solution is for us to upgrade all our DAPs to 11 and up, but as some of you know, our ability to do update the Android version is pretty much tied to the SoC used and the SDK provided. 😅

Another solution, since the app does allow installation on all our DAPs ranging down to Android 6, is for TIDAL to make use of the info given above to debug the app for older versions of Android, so that they will actually run properly on devices they would install on. 😀

As of this writing, the last TIDAL version I tested that functioned properly, was 2.86.0 . I include a link to its installer here
https://d.apkpure.com/b/APK/com.aspiro.tidal?versionCode=1121

I will try to update here when this issue has been resolved.

Best regards,
Joe
HiBy Music

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #4,385 of 4,410
Thanks for the update, Joe, let's hope Tidal is going to do something about it.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #4,386 of 4,410
@Joe Bloggs Just installed the latest 2.10 firmware and now the unit won’t startup its stuck at the flashing Hiby logo. Powered it off/on did an Android rescue reset no joy at all. It’s saying on the rescue screen Hiby R6 and not R5 as well which is odd.

Can I get a download of the last firmware to try and restore it from an SD card as that’s an option in the rescue menu?

Sep 21, 2023 at 5:35 PM Post #4,387 of 4,410
Tidal 2.91 beta seems to have fixed the issue with the R5 not playing flac tracks...

Sep 22, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #4,388 of 4,410
Great shame the latest firmware bust my R5 as I can’t try it.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #4,389 of 4,410
The Hiby R5 battery had swollen up. Ran a CT scan on the the swollen cell and it's of the lowest quality by our standards here at work. Hiby needs to find a better battery supplier. Anyways, I stuck in a used ATL cell in the R5 and got 4AH now vs 3.5 stock. This cell will last me way longer vs the stock one.

Stock cell
PB220360.JPG

New "used" cell made by ATL. It's a tight fit.
DSC_3031.JPG
Lol happend to my hiby r5 too, like 2-3 days ago, btw the battery was bad after some months, just was able to listen for 2 hours max.
Will you buy a new battery and replace it or RMA?

best regards

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #4,390 of 4,410
Lol happend to my hiby r5 too, like 2-3 days ago, btw the battery was bad after some months, just was able to listen for 2 hours max.
Will you buy a new battery and replace it or RMA?

best regards
I replaced the battery myself and it's an branded ATL cell, that is used in HP laptops. Way longer runtime and it was a tight fit.

CT scan of the original swollen R5 battery.

Attachments

• HIby R5 upgraded battery..jpg
    HIby R5 upgraded battery..jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 0
Dec 4, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #4,391 of 4,410
I replaced the battery myself and it's an branded ATL cell, that is used in HP laptops. Way longer runtime and it was a tight fit.

CT scan of the original swollen R5 battery.
Wow nice to hear, where can i buy it, is it difficult to replace it?, btw isnt it dangerous, to change a blown up battery, i have 0 balls to touch the battery, i will give it to a professional to remove the blown battery first :=)

best regards

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #4,392 of 4,410
Wow nice to hear, where can i buy it, is it difficult to replace it?, btw isnt it dangerous, to change a blown up battery, i have 0 balls to touch the battery, i will give it to a professional to remove the blown battery first :=)

best regards

The battery cell cannot be purchased by itself. I harvested the cell from a HP branded laptop battery pack and soldered it onto the old BMS. I used a heat gun to warm up the rear cover to soften up the glue that holds it down. So it's not really job to be done by a novice.

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #4,393 of 4,410
@Joe Bloggs Just installed the latest 2.10 firmware and now the unit won’t startup its stuck at the flashing Hiby logo. Powered it off/on did an Android rescue reset no joy at all. It’s saying on the rescue screen Hiby R6 and not R5 as well which is odd.

Can I get a download of the last firmware to try and restore it from an SD card as that’s an option in the rescue menu?
Sorry for the late reply. PM sent

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 22, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #4,395 of 4,410
The battery cell cannot be purchased by itself. I harvested the cell from a HP branded laptop battery pack and soldered it onto the old BMS. I used a heat gun to warm up the rear cover to soften up the glue that holds it down. So it's not really job to be done by a novice.
If we're still talking about the R5 I have replaced the battery with one from Aliexpress for about $10. Took all of 5 minutes to replace it. Not dangerous, nor difficult. If one can get the back off,pull the battery out (the battery is adhesed but can be pried out)-unplug the battery wire and put the new one in and plug it in and you're set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back