R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Oct 27, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #4,351 of 4,421
It depends what headphones/IEMs you are using. The R5 is more powerful than the dongles, but if your headphones are easy to drive, you may not need all that power. I like the R5’s sound but if you are streaming, it’s really crippled by its poor WiFi connectivity, which is somehow worse now than when I got it (on the same network). It’s also not the most responsive of interfaces with a very outdated processor. On the flip side, the dongles will deplete your phone’s battery and if you are using an iPhone the connection to the phone can be an issue. Of the dongles you mention, I have the W2, which I think sounds just terrific, but again the power is limited by what the phone it’s connected to can provide. For power requirements of different headphones, see e.g. http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html
Okay, thanks
I prefer for sound quality, maybe the dongle is the right choice for me.

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #4,352 of 4,421
It depends what headphones/IEMs you are using. The R5 is more powerful than the dongles, but if your headphones are easy to drive, you may not need all that power. I like the R5’s sound but if you are streaming, it’s really crippled by its poor WiFi connectivity, which is somehow worse now than when I got it (on the same network). It’s also not the most responsive of interfaces with a very outdated processor. On the flip side, the dongles will deplete your phone’s battery and if you are using an iPhone the connection to the phone can be an issue. Of the dongles you mention, I have the W2, which I think sounds just terrific, but again the power is limited by what the phone it’s connected to can provide. For power requirements of different headphones, see e.g. http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html
I've tried the R5, it looks interesting. But as for sound quality, the UA5 is in the same line. 😁

But, R5 has something UA5 doesn't have

Oct 30, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #4,353 of 4,421
I'm having an issue with my R5 I hope y'all can help me figure out.
I've been able to connect to the wifi hotspot on my phones to run Spotify. Unfortunately it suddenly started having an issue where it's connected to wifi but when I try to play Spotify it says that I have no internet connection.
Has anyone had this issue, where you are clearly connected but for some reason the app doesn't recognize it?
Thanks for any help anyone could provide. I use my R5 with My Beyerdynamic T 1.3 and it is such a good match it almost makes hooking the headphones up to my Ifi Zen can Signature pointless.
Well the problem wasn't fixed after all. It worked fine for one day.
I updated the software, did a factory reset etc. and still no luck.
The problem is, it connects to the wifi, but cannot access the internet for some reason.
Can anyone think of what might be causing this, or come up with a possible fix?

Nov 12, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #4,354 of 4,421
For some reason my R5 now only plays at 16/44.1 with Amazon UltraHD. I'm sure it used to work correctly at 192 kHz. Anyone else having this issue? Ideas?

Nov 14, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #4,356 of 4,421
Mine has been like that since Amazon updated the app. Also having similar issues with my dx320
Thanks. You wouldn't happen to know which version was the last one to work?

Nov 14, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #4,357 of 4,421
Thanks. You wouldn't happen to know which version was the last one to work?
Answering my own question, V22.12.2 is the latest version to work correctly on the R5.

Apkpure link:
V22.12.2

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #4,359 of 4,421

Attachments

• IMG_20221125_161601.jpg
    IMG_20221125_161601.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221125_161712.jpg
    IMG_20221125_161712.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #4,360 of 4,421
Planning to get R5S, does the convolver still working fine?
Just making sure in case something changed.

Also does the convolver works when used as USB DAC / BT receiver?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #4,361 of 4,421
Planning to get R5S, does the convolver still working fine?
Just making sure in case something changed.

Also does the convolver works when used as USB DAC / BT receiver?
Yes and yes

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 7, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #4,363 of 4,421
Hi there,

I can't answer for other manufacturers so I'll just try to solve the problem with this one...

There appears to have been a regression in the code to the convolver in recent updates. Here's what definitely works for me:
1. a 32-bit integer file (not floating point)
2. that is 4 channels (not 1 or 2)
3. that contains identical copies of the impulse on channels 1 and 4 (no signal on channels 2 or 3, for regular EQ. Those are used for crossfeed / BRIR simulation)
4. and is silent in the first 100 samples or so.

If it still doesn't work, try sending me the wave file you have for me to edit. If the app is crashing directly, try removing the wave file you had it pointed to, or failing that a factory reset.

I am trying to get the team to fix the convolver itself but until they come back from Chinese New Year's and actually do this (across the range, too), I'd have to advise on how to work around it like this for now...

Best regards,
Joe
HiBy Music

It seems I still couldn't manage to remove the clicking. Tried to find the previous one you modified for editing reference but seems the link is dead.
Is it possible to make this one working for R5?
Thank you!

Edit : Managed to do it via audacity!

Attachments

• audeze-preset-44.1k-linear-phase-LCDi4-match-lcd4-pref.zip
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #4,364 of 4,421
It seems I still couldn't manage to remove the clicking. Tried to find the previous one you modified for editing reference but seems the link is dead.
Is it possible to make this one working for R5?
Thank you!

Edit : Managed to do it via audacity!
It's still clicking on the latest firmware?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back