Quality headphones with Good bass and mids and non peircing treble please?
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #46 of 76
Because headphones are srs bsns.

You don't tell someone who spent 400 on headphones, 300 on an amp and dac combo and another 150 on a cable upgrade

that their rig sucks. 

Quote:
Jeez why are sennheiser owners so protective of their headphones?

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #47 of 76

Quote:

Ok so they are quite good headphones but sennheiser owners seem to find it impossible to take any criticism about them! It is like some sort of religeon or something!

There are many misconceptions about them. 

They are more than "quite good" 
wink.gif

They do have problems, but none of the ones mentioned here. 

I'm not completely devoted to Sennhesier, if I find something that is genuinely better (and not for stupid reasons like, they need a more crazy amount of bass) I'll instantly become a fan of X (whatever) brand. No religion here, I abhor religion. Just perception and reason. 

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #48 of 76
Heard the Ultrasone 780 today and thought that it eclipsed my M50 for any closed back, boosted bass purpose.

It just felt punchier and more dynamic overall, which some might suggest was always a given with Ultrasone
and their S-Logic.

Recommended, ran it through the piano piece from 'Hill Street Blues' to Metallica's 'Battery' and it felt
like a much more enjoyable listen. Rarely mentioned on here too - this is one headphone that is built
to rival the Sherman tank like quality of the M50.

When I joined here, the HFI-780 got a lot of praise. The hype continued with the ALO mod plus amp.

Thus, this became my first head-fi headphone. I liked it a lot, but the lacking comfort forced me to upgrade.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #49 of 76
Hmm... everybody launched in suggesting this or that headphone.
While most likely the OP doesnt need the HF from his source, the Dacmagic.

Try the D2000 or another headphone that u like with a different, more laid back DAC (maybe better), and you wont need to replace it.

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #51 of 76
Bassheads are srs bsness

*unsubscribe*

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #52 of 76

Quote:

Ok so they are quite good headphones but sennheiser owners seem to find it impossible to take any criticism about them! It is like some sort of religeon or something!

We're did you get that from? I'm sure they're are equal numbers of k701 or Beyer fanboys. You want to hear 'protective', talk to some of us dt48 owners. For some of us they actually ARE a religion!
biggrin.gif
But it's not being protective to say the hd600 isn't bass light. They're only 'bass light' if you want to hear more bass than is in the recording. Maybe they're not the ideal choice for electronica though

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #53 of 76

Quote:
Hmm... everybody launched in suggesting this or that headphone.
While most likely the OP doesnt need the HF from his source, the Dacmagic.

Try the D2000 or another headphone that u like with a different, more laid back DAC (maybe better), and you wont need to replace it.

Do you think it is my dac then? How do you know this? People genrally say it is a smooth sounding dac?

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #55 of 76
OP, you shouldn't use words like "energetic" because it means something different for every person.  Sometimes it means a lot of punchy bass, but usually it means a lot of upper midrange and treble emphasis.  Which will sound harsh if you are sensitive to it.  By most people's use of this word, you certainly do NOT want an energetic headphone.  You want something warm that will not bother you with "energetic" forward, exaggerated treble. 

It would help if you could be more specific about what frequencies are harsh to you.  Easy way to do that is describe which instruments are hurting your ears or sounding sharp/harsh/piercing.  If it is often electric guitar, piano, that can mean it is the upper midrange, if it is cymbals then it might actually be treble.  Most people experience harshness in the upper midrange. 

If it is in fact treble that bothers you, than the HD600 could be a good choice.  But the HD600 have a bit of a forward upper midrange and since your goal here is to avoid harshness or forwardness in that area, and you consider yourself a basshead, you should go for the HD650.  It is probably your best option.  If you get a used one, you'll be able to sell it with minimal loss. 

I'm amazed by the Ultrasone and DT990 recommendations. 
confused_face.gif
  The DT990 and DT770 are both bright and harsh, and every single Ultrasone I've ever heard has been incredibly bright and harsh.  You're better off staying far away from those two brands. 

It's honestly not that easy to find headphones that aren't fatiguing.  I know because that's been my primary goal for 6 years here, and I've only had marginal success.  If you need something cheaper than the HD650 and you are ok with a vintage headphone, I would highly recommend the AKG K240 Sextett.  They have an "energetic" sound but they are completely smooth and lack any exaggeration or forwardness in the upper mids and treble.  You can find them on the F/S forum here or on ebay if you know how to ID them. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #57 of 76

Quote:
Do you think it is my dac then? How do you know this? People genrally say it is a smooth sounding dac?

I'm pretty sure it is. I have listened to a few iteration of the Wolfson dac and they can sound harsh.
You may be a person sensitive to HF distortion and response (I am), so at least give a try with a different source which is surely not as bright, like something more old style.

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #58 of 76
hmm maybe I will try that new asus xonar essence dac. I ordered som ultrasone 2400 (before I read the post saying they were all harsh lol) I will see what they are like and make a decision between the denons and the ultrasone... Then maybe try a new dac when it is released.

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #59 of 76
Do you have an ipod?  Try your headphones on the ipod.  If they're still harsh, it's not the DAC, it's the phones.  The ipod might not be the best source/amp, but it isn't harsh at all. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #60 of 76
I tried it on my Sansa clip and it sounds the same except for rubbish bass and treble lol....

I think what I will do is keep the Denons because they are very nice all rounders and also very comfy and the try the xonar essence one DAC when it is released as it has a dedicated headphone amp.

I think the comments that I a going to find any headphone fatiguing to some point is probably right.... and generally reviews of the denons report them as being relatively smooth compared to most others except maybe sennheiser hd650....

Thanks for the suggestion on the new DAC I was looking at trying the xonar anyway so I will try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back