Quality headphones with Good bass and mids and non peircing treble please?
Sep 10, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #31 of 76
Are there any that have big bass and a slightly more recessed / smooth high end for < £250? eg. bigger bass like the pro 900 but smoother midrange like the 2400...

How does the bass on the 2400 compare with a denon d2000?

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #32 of 76
Whats with the speaker and headphone argument ? I thought speakers and headphones are the same but speakers are more fatiguing at higher volumes because theres also pressure felt by other parts of the body ? Don't humans hear by sensing sound pressure ? Then in that case sound perceived should be the same at the same SPL. 

I wouldn't say ALL Ultrasones are good for OP's needs. Some of them can have fatiguing highs, at least to my ears.  Never heard the 2400 though.

Edit : Why not buy from somewhere with 30 day returns ? That should solve your problem

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #33 of 76
Heard the Ultrasone 780 today and thought that it eclipsed my M50 for any closed back, boosted bass purpose.

It just felt punchier and more dynamic overall, which some might suggest was always a given with Ultrasone
and their S-Logic.

Recommended, ran it through the piano piece from 'Hill Street Blues' to Metallica's 'Battery' and it felt
like a much more enjoyable listen. Rarely mentioned on here too - this is one headphone that is built
to rival the Sherman tank like quality of the M50.

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #34 of 76
Just a comment on that statement that the hd600 can be bright. For the OP's needs, there shouldn't be any problem at all with piercing treble with those... no matter what system he has..The treble is very relaxed even out of the mkV amp and the emu0404 DAC which may err a bit on the bright side.  I admit, I'm a bit of a fanboy, but it's precisely because they DON'T have the excess treble problem that my other phones had, that these became my favorite for relaxed listening. If the OP wants open and  neutral without piercing treble or recessed mids, it wouldn't hurt to do a forum search on the hd600.

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #36 of 76
dt250....maybe one of the fischer's FWIR....never heard them myself. If on a budget RP21 for under $100

Quote:
I'm searching pretty much the same as what OP want, but closed-back

any suggestions?

Sep 10, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #37 of 76
nicolars...

Go listen to an HD600.....I think your search will end.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #38 of 76
Hmm not sure about that because I wasn't at all impressed with the HD598 and also I think I want something with a super nice bass response and good energy for electronic music which I dont think the sennheisers have...

Tbh these denons are growing on me the more I use them but I am also going to try some ultrasones.... I am just not sure which exact ultrasones to try.... Any more advice on this would be great!

eg. Ultrasone 2400 vs Denon Bass? and also any bassier ultrasones with smoother recessed treble like HFI 2400?

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #41 of 76
I would really suggest Sennheiser HD598. The magic is it doesn't necessarily need an amp to sound right, and it matches your price range and your taste of music.

Sep 10, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #42 of 76
I had a very brief listen to the 598 in a shop and I wasn't very impressed at all tbh... they were brand new out of the box tho I suppose... Also not a fan of the look of them personally...

I have realised that I am what would be classified on here as a "basshead" eg. I like well textured, deep, tunefull bass a LOT! From what i have read I really dont think the sennheisers are going to satisfy me in terms of energetic presentation and bass response.... They are more of a headphone for vocals, jazz, classical music etc. from what I gather... I do like some of this but also listen to a lot of punchy electronic music etc.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #43 of 76

Quote:
Weak bass on these, according to forum members here

Ridiculous.

I suppose If you are a real basshead then the Senns will not have enough bloated bass for you, but if you like a sane amount of bass, they're great. Awesome impact as well.

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #44 of 76
Weak bass on these, according to forum members here

.....who often mistake overly exaggerated bass for nice bass.

But what the hell, to each their own.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #45 of 76
Jeez why are sennheiser owners so protective of their headphones?

Ok so they are quite good headphones but sennheiser owners seem to find it impossible to take any criticism about them! It is like some sort of religeon or something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back