Quality headphones with Good bass and mids and non peircing treble please?
Sep 12, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #76 of 76
Has anyone mentioned the AKG K181 DJ ? By far my favorite headphone for house, hip-hop, rap, Rock, and anything else electronica! These are the full range speakers w/ subwoofer to finish these on ear cans. More on this later...

I have my favorite D2000's and when I first got em they were a bit harsh. They have now mellowed to be my favorite kick back at home cans. They sound good for above genres and everything else as well but...... As big as the bass is on the Denons the AKG K181s will trounce the Denons in terms of BASS and speed. The AKGs have that club like subwoofer to create the full background bass tracks like the original artist intended. Kick drums have that thump so realistic you could point it out, electronic bass lines have the depth AND texture that won't intrude into the mids no matter how hard you push em!
A critical listener may say the bass is loose on the AKs but its is much tighter and more accurate than the Denon. The sheer enjoyment of quality bass is my favorite part. It presents the sub bass like a proper club should have. The AKs have Tony the Tiger "GREAT" rating. The D's bass is good.

The AKGs have a much more involving luscious mid range than the Denons. All vocals sound real and present just in front of you. The Denons feels a tiny bit recessed comparatively. But both are awesome.

The AKGs have a real natural realistic treble range without the slight sibilance in the Denons. All percussion instruments sound real and natural. Now after spending much time with both I feel like the Denons treble is almost exaggerated extension compared to the AK's. The AKs have a real ability to accurately display whatever is playing.

The AKs are so accurate in the mids and treble that they are very source revealing. You can run em directly out of an iPhone but if you want to squeeze the most from these you better feed these cans with an amp of some sort.

So all in all I would like to say my search for club bass headphones but real natural for almost any kind of music all rolled into an almost portable, single corded, 270* swivel drivers, and all for only $120 delivered with amazon prime. Sign me up again.

I've never heard the Ultrasone 780's myself. I hear they are a great recommendation for anything electronic but I also heard they have slightly harsh treble without spending how much on a cable!?! I have a pair of 15gs from Ultrasone and while they are great and comfy the S logic seems to diffuse the mids and the AKs will show you clear as a bell this phenomena. I also read a major proponet of the recabled 780 has gone to the AKG K181 as well.
These cans may have some comfort issues for some but just man up. It'll be easy if you ever get a chance to witness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back