Quality headphones with Good bass and mids and non peircing treble please?
Sep 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
Shure srh 840 - found the treble peircing

Denon d2000 - love the sound - find the treble peircing

Grado SR 325i - as above....

Any suggestions please? I am thinking about just buying the sennheiser HD650, do these have good energy for electronic music?

Budget is £150 - £250

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 76
My setup is as follows :

foobar wasapi > Xonar D2 > Cambridge audio dacmagic > Nad 315bee > headphones....

So i think that should be ok? as I have read quite a bit and most people seem to agree that nad amps are actually pretty good headphone amps...

I think i might give some HD650 a try just because of the sheer number of people that seem to like them and also the "smooth" sound.... Hopefully they arent too boring / distant though....

its annoying because I find these denon d2000 really really nice but my ear drums hurt after an hour or so listening to them even with a EQ set and the treble tone control on my amp turned down :frowning2:

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 76
Heya,

You may simply not tolerate headphones in general, I'm guessing it's because you listen at high volume, not even moderate volume. Lunch says I'm right. So virtually all headphones are going to fatigue you, because you listen at high volume.

You may be more suited to using loud speakers, or monitor speakers.

Very best,

Sep 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 76
Hmm but I can use my shure IEM's ok and also I really like listening to headphones.... The detail and immersion is something you cant get from loudspeakers without either annoying neighbours or spending loads on external speakers.

Do you not think it might just be the ones I have tried so far have slightly peircing treble?

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 76
Sounds like you want a pretty dark sounding headphone.

Doubt you'll go wrong with an HD650, but here's a couple cheaper suggestions:
Phiaton MS400
Beyer DT250

Cheaper still, if you're willing to mod you could try a Fostex T50rp. IMO they're not quite up there with a srh840, but they do sound good and are very non fatiguing.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 76

Quote:
You may simply not tolerate headphones in general, I'm guessing it's because you listen at high volume, not even moderate volume. Lunch says I'm right. So virtually all headphones are going to fatigue you, because you listen at high volume.

Not necessarily true in my opinion. To me, headphones are meant to be LOUD and as long as you get the right one, they shouldn't be fatiguing despite this fact. Of course I don't claim to be speaking for the original poster here, but just speaking from my own experience.

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 76

Quote:
Not necessarily true in my opinion. To me, headphones are meant to be LOUD and as long as you get the right one, they shouldn't be fatiguing despite this fact. Of course I don't claim to be speaking for the original poster here, but just speaking from my own experience.

But it is true.

Set speakers to listening volume. Now put your ear next to the driver. You will get fatigued a lot faster. Sound dissipates with more distance between you and the driver due to particle collision being random in the air, so you receive less of the force the further you are away. A headphone is right on your ear, there's very little dissipation, and there's also more containment so the wave is focused even more towards your ear and not just into the room. There's a huge difference. A pair of headphones will fatigue you compared to an equal sounding loud speaker that is perceived at the same volume, but is 3 feet away or so.

Very best,

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 76
Ok so it seems that the HD650 are decent headphones and will probably have less sibilance, peircing treble....

How would you rate the HD650 in terms of - Excitement to listen to (such as energy and listening enjoyment) are they boring compared to d2000?

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 76

Quote:
Ok so it seems that the HD650 are decent headphones and will probably have less sibilance, peircing treble....

How would you rate the HD650 in terms of - Excitement to listen to (such as energy and listening enjoyment) are they boring compared to d2000?

Heya,

The Denon has more impact and energy. But the HD650 does sound good, great bass, and very mellow. It's a smooth bassy Sennheiser. You'd have to simply hear it yourself. Any headphone with energy and impact is going to fatigue versus one that doesn't have it as much. It's really that simple...

Very best,

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #12 of 76
Quote:
But it is true.

Set speakers to listening volume. Now put your ear next to the driver. You will get fatigued a lot faster. Sound dissipates with more distance between you and the driver due to particle collision being random in the air, so you receive less of the force the further you are away. A headphone is right on your ear, there's very little dissipation, and there's also more containment so the wave is focused even more towards your ear and not just into the room. There's a huge difference. A pair of headphones will fatigue you compared to an equal sounding loud speaker that is perceived at the same volume, but is 3 feet away or so.

If both are perceived at the same volume, there should be no diffference. In fact, there isn't to me...
LOUD is relaxing, not fatiguing. Not saying this to be smart, this is my experience.

(with the right headphone for your ear, of course)

Sep 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 76

Quote:

From everything I've read, it is more laid-back but not lacking in detail despite this.
I haven't tried one, so I'll let someone who has comment on this.

(I just found out B&H don't send Sennheiser to Australia...doh!)

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 76
I'm surprised no one recommended the hd600/580. They get a lot of love....just do a forum search. IMO, they meet your requirements for good bass , mids, with somewhat relaxed treble(compared to k240DF). A bit less expensive than the hd650..

Sep 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 76

Quote:
If both are perceived at the same volume, there should be no diffference. In fact, there isn't to me...
LOUD is relaxing, not fatiguing. Not saying this to be smart, this is my experience.

(with the right headphone for your ear, of course)

Sorry but he is right. My cheap $20 logitech speakers never fatigue my ears. But every single pair of headphones I have tried does. Regardless of price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back