Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI)
Jun 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #4,847 of 37,643
Okay, so, it was some 25 or 30 years ago when....
smile.gif
.  Ortofon just reminded me to my younger years. These MC20S was in my Stabi/Stogi system (+ Luxman tube amp + Quad ESLs). Now I'm happy to enjoy my WAV files through my portable audio (J3, Clip+, Waterline, CAL...). BTW WAV files :  maybe I'm old fashioned - but I don't beleive in losless file compression, and what is worth (or best ... ) I can always hear the difference - in blind testings, too , made by my friends - between FLAC and WAV. Long live r'n'r ! 

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4,848 of 37,643
Quote:

Nup, made your point. It was also educative for us in the portable thread to learn about Ortofon's history and how it received its place in the HiFi scene!

Exactly, here's my current Ortofon on my Debut Carbon (2nd system)
wink_face.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #4,851 of 37,643
My apologies BUJeff, I did not have a close up of the Ortofon
blink.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #4,853 of 37,643
Haven't posted in a while - 

iPhone 4s
Toxic Cables Silver Poison Digital LOD
Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo
Nordost Odin ic
Graham Slee Voyager
Sony MDR SA-5000

Also taken with Forza Audioworks CLAS single ended interconnect kit.

Chris Jones's Roadhouses & Automobiles never sounded better! Well to me so far anyway lol! 

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #4,855 of 37,643
Quote:
For sm 64 v1 I use Shure silicon eartip I. Grey colour .

Have you already tried the Westone Star tips with them? A lot of people like that combo. Still on the brink to order some. I get really good seal with the standard tips, but other tips might improve the sound more....

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #4,856 of 37,643
Quote:
My Work Rig for Today:

Source - AK100
Amp - ALO Rx Mk-3B
IEM - Tzar 350 with Magnus 1
IC - Forza AudioWorks Silver Mini to Mini

Pretty sexy. Do you get any hiss? The Clas -Db and MkIII combination users say there is slight hissing with sensitive IEM. I see from your profile you are an original Clas owner as well. How do you find AK100 vs Clas dac wise?

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #4,857 of 37,643
Quote:
Mmmm, vinyl

THX robm321, you have any vinyl coming thru the VR4's? The Carbon is new to my Klipsch/Jolida setup, this is a shot of my baby
rolleyes.gif
 I better stop or BUJeff is going to get me
normal_smile .gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #4,858 of 37,643
Pretty sexy. Do you get any hiss? The Clas -Db and MkIII combination users say there is slight hissing with sensitive IEM. I see from your profile you are an original Clas owner as well. How do you find AK100 vs Clas dac wise?

Thanks LFC_SL, With my Tzar 350 / ASG 1.2 / HD650 and T70p I don't get any discernable background hiss from the Rx Mk3.....when I owned the A.4i I did get a fair bit of background hiss.

As for the Class Solo Vs AK100 it's hard to say really because I haven't actually done any critical listening or comparing yet.

To my ears at the moment I would say they are very comparable and wouldn't like to say one is better than the other really. The Solo is used with my iPhone 4S (Spotify) and my 128Gb iPad 4 and of course the ak100 is a stand alone DAP......however I do find that the AK100 connected to the Rx and using balanced out is just an utterly amazing sound. I would say that the AK100 connected to the Rx with Tzar 350 does just pip the Solo / Rx / iPhone / Tzar 350 combo especially with the AK's ability to play Hi Res files.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #4,859 of 37,643
Many thanks. The second gen Clas -Db + Alo MKIII blew me away at the London meet. Regardless whichever route is still pretty expensive though (I do understand of course a dap is standalone and amp is optional but who does not like shiny things)

Need to get my hands on AK120 for a demo

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #4,860 of 37,643
Many thanks. The second gen Clas -Db + Alo MKIII blew me away at the London meet. Regardless whichever route is still pretty expensive though (I do understand of course a dap is standalone and amp is optional but who does not like shiny things)

Need to get my hands on AK120 for a demo

Yeah I'm thinking about upgrading to the -DB and running a fully balanced rig.......just trying to work out whether that's the route I want to go down or whether the AK100 may get more and more use.

I find that the Ak100 is very good as an extremely small and very portable DAP, but I do sometimes feel that it is underpowered (for instance the Tzar 350 need to have the volume at 65 and that doesn't sound loud and the aK100 maxes out at 75). Connecting the AK100 to the RX improves the volume and expands the soundstage and dynamics....especially with balanced out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back