Philips Fidelio L2
Nov 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #33 of 1,146
Still wondering whether or not I should pick up a pair, interested in trying some new headphones as it's been a long time. It costs around 200€ in my country which is not too bad compared to 279€ on philips.fi.  

My only expectation about it is that it probably doesn't satisfy my bass needs which not a lot of headphones do (both quantity and quality).

Nov 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #34 of 1,146
The X1 has more bass emphasis but for sheer SQ these cans are amazing. I can't wait to get a pair myself..Will report as soon as I can get my grubby hands on a pair. The level of drivers Philips is using. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if these EQ and take to bass amping like a champ.. If you can demo a pair I would.. That stage.. RPG. That stage!

Nov 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #36 of 1,146
  The X1 has more bass emphasis but for sheer SQ these cans are amazing. I can't wait to get a pair myself..Will report as soon as I can get my grubby hands on a pair. The level of drivers Philips is using. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if these EQ and take to bass amping like a champ.. If you can demo a pair I would.. That stage.. RPG. That stage!

If even X1 has more bass which is an open-back that's a little disappointing, they should have sticked a little closer to the L1 in terms of bass, then it had been very consumer-friendly too. Besides, L1 had a decent boosted quantity but also had top-notch quality to it according to measurements.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #37 of 1,146
It is a balanced sound from memory. Not too emphasized in the low region but it was their overall sound that got to me. Very nice definition and a rich musical tone to the sound. Plus that stage. I am all about them L2s.

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #38 of 1,146

If even X1 has more bass which is an open-back that's a little disappointing, they should have sticked a little closer to the L1 in terms of bass, then it had been very consumer-friendly too. Besides, L1 had a decent boosted quantity but also had top-notch quality to it according to measurements.

The bass on the L2 was quite good when I auditioned them (I compared them to the Sony 1R and B&W P7). It extended deep into the sub-bass regions and was very tight and controlled. I really liked the quality of the bass. I actually thought it was a very very good sounding headphone, and the soundstage was very wide, much wider than a closed headphone. It just didn't fit my ear, so out the door it went :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #39 of 1,146
How is sound isolation on the L2?  I'm so torn between the L2 and the HP50.  Neither of which I can really audition locally.  So sad.  But then again, I don't really need another pair of HP's. 
wink_face.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #40 of 1,146
Well they're open headphones, or semi-open, so in terms of isolation it simply will not compete with a closed headphone. You will hear mostly everything around you, and the leakage is quite high too. I guess normal for an open headphone, or maybe slightly less, but again nowhere near the levels of a closed headphone.

If you're looking for isolation, look elsewhere :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #41 of 1,146
Yeah, i just wanted to know how bad leakage can get with a semi-open.  The X1 is like a speaker.  I don't even know why I bother putting it on my ears.  LOL!  
But I guess the most important thing is the sound.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #42 of 1,146
  Well they're open headphones, or semi-open, so in terms of isolation it simply will not compete with a closed headphone. You will hear mostly everything around you, and the leakage is quite high too. I guess normal for an open headphone, or maybe slightly less, but again nowhere near the levels of a closed headphone.

If you're looking for isolation, look elsewhere :)

Well L1 was pretty decent in isolation, has that changed for L2 then? I personally need some isolation for the sake of muting my computer fans a little.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #44 of 1,146

Well L1 was pretty decent in isolation, has that changed for L2 then? I personally need some isolation for the sake of muting my computer fans a little.

I've never heard the L1, so I wouldn't know. I was only comparing it to a closed headphone. To give an example, I could hear myself clattering on the keyboard very clearly when I was listening to the L2, while I could barely or not at all hear myself when I put on the P7 or 1R at the time.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #45 of 1,146
  I've never heard the L1, so I wouldn't know. I was only comparing it to a closed headphone. To give an example, I could hear myself clattering on the keyboard very clearly when I was listening to the L2, while I could barely or not at all hear myself when I put on the P7 or 1R at the time.

How would you describe the tonal balance as compared to your MDR 7520s? I understand that they are both very resolving and detailed headphones and I'd like to know the pros and cons of each

Users who are viewing this thread

Back