Philips Fidelio L2
Oct 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #16 of 1,146
  They sound more like the fidelio x1 with a smaller soundstage and more isolation.  The l1 was one of the most uncomfortable cans I've owned because of both the small earcups and crazy clamping pressure.  It seems those issues have returned.   Thanks for the impressions!  Now I'll look more into the k545 and HP50.  I always though I had a small head and smaller ears but now that I know that the Momentum is way too small, the K550 fits on my head,and the a900x almost (lol, how could this fit anyone's head?!) fits on my head (and the 1r's pads are too thin), I can't take any chances.  Thanks again.

Yeah, I'm also gonna look into the K545, which should be out here in the Netherlands any day now really. I also ordered the Focal Spirit Classic, which has just been released here, am curious how that will sound (but most of all, how comfortable they will be). Honestly, the Sony 1R is quite comfortable, but I don't think it sounds that great (quite veiled). But the Sony is the only closed (semi)portable headphone I've tried so far that actually has a decent earcup size.

Oct 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 1,146
Oh man I'm sick of you!   For some reason I though AKG  was American!  I envy you...
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 1,146
  It is... when I put some felt between my ear and the driver.

Yeah, that's the one thing I noticed too, the mesh they use is a bit roughly textured so it irritates my ears. But not nearly as bad as all the other headphones I've tried :)

And sorry, I guess high-end stuff gets released in Europe first? haha

Oct 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #21 of 1,146
  Can I make anyone happy with my impression of the Philips Fidelio L2? They're widely available here in the Netherlands (being that Philips is a Dutch company).

Just note, I am returning these, but that's purely because of comfort, as the earcups are too small for my ears (they're about 59mm long, my ears about 65mm). But let me tell you how they sound :)

So the soundstage is quite wide. I've never owned or heard open headphones before, so this was my first experience with such headphones. They're marketed as semi-open, so it does block out a little bit of outside noise (but not much, definitely doesn't compare to a closed headphone). So also in terms of leakage other people will be able to hear you, especially in quiet environments.

The bass is very taught and well controlled, yet delivers plenty of it when the music calls for it. It's not boomy or bloated, just very tight. The mids are slightly upfront (take this 'upfront' bit with a grain of salt, my ears might only have been used to headphones with recessed mids, I've never heard true neutral headphones before) but sound very nice. Vocals have a nice airy quality to it. The treble is also very crisp and pleasant. It got a bit harsh with some bad recordings, but otherwise it sounded great. There is also loads of detail in the music, in part because of the nice treble in the headphones. I heard new bits in some songs I hadn't heard before (not that it's not there with other headphones, but I just never really noticed because it was more in the background). I think this headphone will be a winner for a lot of people :)

how much would they cost in USD. even in your currency is okay I can translate it. I am sure it is more affordable than the p7. Your impressions concur with the ones I have read so far. 

Oct 24, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #22 of 1,146
  how much would they cost in USD. even in your currency is okay I can translate it. I am sure it is more affordable than the p7. Your impressions concur with the ones I have read so far. 

I'm assuming it will retail between $299 and $349 in the US, but don't take my word for it. I'm just taking that from past experience. For instance, the KEF M500 costs $299 in the US and € 299 here in the Netherlands. And the P7 is $399/€399.

The € 299 retailprice here in the Netherlands includes 21% VAT (sales tax). So without tax, the retail price here is € 236.21. At the current EURUSD spot rate, that would be € 236.21 x 1.38 = $325.97.

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #23 of 1,146
I have the P7 and L2 and the P7 is pretty darn good but the L2 is just exceptionally good so the P7 isn't a keeper for me. The L2 will normally be priced at $299, P7 is $399

Oct 24, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #24 of 1,146
  I have the P7 and L2 and the P7 is pretty darn good but the L2 is just exceptionally good so the P7 isn't a keeper for me. The L2 will normally be priced at $299, P7 is $399

I can see why you would like the L2 more than the P7. I was pleasantly surprised with how they sound. Too bad the comfort wasn't good enough for me (and I would have actually preferred it to be a fully closed headphone, instead of semi-open).

But don't write off the P7 completely though, I think the P7 still sounds better in terms of layering and creating a 3D space in the sound (left, right, front, back, above, below and everything in between). They've accomplished that very very well :)

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #25 of 1,146
  I can see why you would like the L2 more than the P7. I was pleasantly surprised with how they sound. Too bad the comfort wasn't good enough for me (and I would have actually preferred it to be a fully closed headphone, instead of semi-open).

But don't write off the P7 completely though, I think the P7 still sounds better in terms of layering and creating a 3D space in the sound (left, right, front, back, above, below and everything in between). They've accomplished that very very well :)

the l1 was like a closed headphone in terms of isolation is the l2 the same

also does the l2 fit the same way as the l1 ... Im assuming they do because they have the same form. 

I was thinking of going for an lcd2 but may consider keeping the he-500 and getting an l2.

Oct 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #26 of 1,146
  the l1 was like a closed headphone in terms of isolation is the l2 the same

also does the l2 fit the same way as the l1 ... Im assuming they do because they have the same form. 

I was thinking of going for an lcd2 but may consider keeping the he-500 and getting an l2.

I've never tried the L1 so can't compare. But the L2 definitely doesn't isolate like a good closed headphone though, not even close :) I could hear myself typing on the keyboard while wearing them, but I can't when wearing a closed headphone. (I can't hear any typing at all when I put my fingers in my ear)

Oct 27, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #28 of 1,146
From what I remember listening to them at CanJam. These had unbelievable stage. I kept on taking them off my head as the sound seems to come from outside the cups. Lol. The sound was balanced and rich sounding that left a lasting impression on me even though I was listening to some of the highest end headphones at the show.. I know this isn't much to go on but I was very impressed with how these cans sounded.  I should be getting a review pair and will post impressions.

Oct 27, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #29 of 1,146
  From what I remember listening to them at CanJam. These had unbelievable stage. I kept on taking them off my head as the sound seems to come from outside the cups. Lol. The sound was balanced and rich sounding that left a lasting impression on me even though I was listening to some of the highest end headphones at the show.. I know this isn't much to go on but I was very impressed with how these cans sounded.  I should be getting a review pair and will post impressions.

thats awesome... I believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back