Philips Fidelio L2
Nov 21, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #61 of 1,146
Thanks for your L2 impressions.  I plan to buy the L2 when it becomes available here.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #62 of 1,146
Excellent.  I have ordered a pair of L2s from Amazon France.  Hopefully arriving in the next few weeks.

Ade

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #63 of 1,146
http://www.amazon.it/Philips-L2BO-00-Auricolari-Microfono/dp/B00F4P7NG0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1384977551&sr=1-1&keywords=fidelio+l2

Like Frenchy said. I own the L1 and love the design and the build quality. The sound? Imho "HIFI" demands a neutral reproduction of the recorded sound. The L1 is farer away from that than Germany from winning World War 3. The Accudio App from Golden Ears is very helpful.

For me still not comprehensible why Tyll put the L1 on the WOF.

Just my 50...

Anyways for 150 it is a steal!

From Tyll's review...

Sound Quality
I'm not going to mince words here: these are not audiophile grade cans. They simply don't have the transparency and refinement of a truly great headphone. BUT! They deliver a very good mid-fi listening experience. The vast majority of headphones miss the boat by failing in some way or another. Not so with the Philips Fidelio L1, which perform well across the board. It's just not reference quality (not that any are at this price). 

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #64 of 1,146
  From Tyll's review...

Sound Quality
I'm not going to mince words here: these are not audiophile grade cans. They simply don't have the transparency and refinement of a truly great headphone. BUT! They deliver a very good mid-fi listening experience. The vast majority of headphones miss the boat by failing in some way or another. Not so with the Philips Fidelio L1, which perform well across the board. It's just not reference quality (not that any are at this price). 

Is that taken from the Canjam report? I can't remember seeing a full size review like Headfonia did.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #66 of 1,146

Is that taken from the Canjam report? I can't remember seeing a full size review like Headfonia did.

It's a 2 page review:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/handsome-philips-fidelio-l1

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #68 of 1,146
Like Frenchy said. I own the L1 and love the design and the build quality. The sound? Imho "HIFI" demands a neutral reproduction of the recorded sound. The L1 is farer away from that than Germany from winning World War 3. The Accudio App from Golden Ears is very helpful.

For me still not comprehensible why Tyll put the L1 on the WOF.

Just my 50...

Anyways for 150 it is a steal!

Just to clear things up regarding Tyll's WOF list. It's not a list of headphones which are neutral or stays true to the "intended's artist's sound" or call it HiFi headphones or whatever. It's a list of headphones which do specific things exceptionally great for different purposes. It includes "basshead champ" V-Moda M100 that are very good alternative for basshead users which demand strong bass but also good overall quality. Of course M100 for example isn't meant to be neutral, it's targeted towards bass aficionados with still care for decent overall sound quality and it does good job at that.

Philips L1 isn't either meant to be a neutral headphone but it's a very "musical" portable good looking headphone. Term musical can be defined as headphones which have an engaging/immersive sound, not necessarily accurate but it makes you "groove" along with the music and doesn't care much about hearing the maximum amount details possible, they enjoy music.

Now everyone isn't looking for that, by your description you belong more to the audiophile camp, the HD800, Stax, LCD, Hifiman etc camp. You want to hear a neutral sound with as much details as possible because you like analyzing the sound and that's what brings the excitement or satisfaction. (Yes I'm talking sound psychology here)

So understanding this makes it more clear why Tyll's WOF list contains different kinds of category headphones which do great for specific usages. Because we all have a bit different kinds of "holy grail" headphones due to we get listening satisfaction from different things. Also some need more durable or portable headphones etc. In this hobby you have to know what you want to achieve or what exactly brings you satisfaction and then look for headphones meeting those criterias.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #69 of 1,146
Tyll said that he will review the L2 probably in January when it is available in the US. I have read the review for the L1 and hence know his conclusion. I enjoy his reviews and think they are the best and most objective on the subject of headphones. In most cases I agree with him. But in this case? Lets put it this way: you build a new sports car and it looks gorgeous but the engine sucks and the next door soccer mum with her station wagon gives you a hard time on the road. Imho no WOF Car. If you sell a 299 Headphone it should be at least HIFi grade. But MidFi? Come on...

I did not hear the L2 but I am very shure that it will sound a lot better than the L1 (also I dont believe in the hype from headfonia)

BTW price for the L2 is up on amazon.it

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #70 of 1,146
Tyll said that he will review the L2 probably in January when it is available in the US. I have read the review for the L1 and hence know his conclusion. I enjoy his reviews and think they are the best and most objective on the subject of headphones. In most cases I agree with him. But in this case? Lets put it this way: you build a new sports car and it looks gorgeous but the engine sucks and the next door soccer mum with her station wagon gives you a hard time on the road. Imho no WOF Car. If you sell a 299 Headphone it should be at least HIFi grade. But MidFi? Come on...

I did not hear the L2 but I am very shure that it will sound a lot better than the L1 (also I dont believe in the hype from headfonia)

BTW price for the L2 is up on amazon.it

Did you read my message at all? The problem is that your midFi experience could be another person's holy grail. It's not a case of inability to hear "good quality" but it's that different kinds of sounds appeal to different people. L1 has an in-your-face forward presentation which is very attractive to some people, I like that kind of sound too but for me personally it has slightly too much subdued highs though.

For you it might be a smeared chatastrophic disaster, another person might get his head headbanging like crazy due to the engaging experience...

L2 is totally different sounding though it seems, more to your taste probably. :)

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #71 of 1,146
As a matter of fact i did not read your message. Just read it. But it does not change my opinion at all. Tyll can put on his wall what ever he wants but that doesnt change my opinion. And if you have read all the messages you can easily figure out that I was referring to Frenchy who asked about the sound quality of the L1. And I think it is a save assumption that most people - even here at headfi - want to listen to music like the artist intended.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #72 of 1,146
 And I think it is a save assumption that most people - even here at headfi - want to listen to music like the artist intended.

For me that has very little meaning. I want to get maximum enjoyment out of my listening and I get that when my senses are pleased. My senses doesn't care about if it sounds "like artist intended or not", probably it's reasonably close anyway, but there's no such thing that makes me more satisfied just because I know it sounds like artist meant it to be - to me it doesn't matter if my senses doesn't enjoy that sound. I have one taste, the original artist could have another. 

I think you have to broaden your view regarding how people get satisfaction from their music listening. :) There's no such as one rule applies to all.

Nov 21, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #73 of 1,146
Different strokes for different folks people.  

I'm just excited to hear what L2 sound like when they hit the US.  After reading Ty's CamJam report and the Headfonia review, how could you not want to try them out?  Plus Philips really have been making some very nice headphones.  Oh, and I think they look absolutely gorgeous!  Kind of like a baby X1.

My only reservations about the L2 are the non-replaceable pads.  But if they sound as good as people say they do, I just might have to get a set.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #75 of 1,146
Precisely. I ordered the L2 because I dig the design and I am hopeful that the sound is a big improvement over the L1. Also what Tyll measured for the L2 doesnt look too good for my eyes.

Link for the measurement please...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back