Official 2016 SF Head-Fi Meet, July 16, 2016, Wikia HQ
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #286 of 458
DecentLevi

Faulty capacitors will be easier to see than faulty resistors. It'd be easy enough to try to open it up and check. Generally, capacitors are cylindrical in shape, and you'll know if they are bad based on if they have blown out of shape (likely due to heat) and liquid could be leaking out of the top where the insulation likely had ruptured. There are ways to tell if a resistor is bad as well, but just check inside for the capacitors for now. When the manufacturer gets back to you, let them know which part is faulty so they can let you know know the specifications (different current ratings) for that part(s) to be replaced. If you need any help for where to buy capacitors/resistors, then feel free message me. Since you are a friend I wouldn't mind helping you with soldering them in either. I hope all goes well, and that we'll get a chance to try your Elise again at the meet.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #287 of 458
Thanks partner :) In fact there were no explosions and it didn't seem to overheat, so I'm still speculating. I kept this 'on the DL' from the Elise thread so they won't attribute this to my recent tube combo creation (which I'm sure wasn't the cause). Man I'll tell ya though with this new setup on the Elise, I've been having by far and wide the best home-audio experience of my life - in a word, I chose "transcendental"!!! It still usable but really needs a fix. I could open it up once I find the right size screwdriver. This $699 OTL tube amp pushes well into summit-fi territory and I really think a lot of you would like it. But I have limited resources and am still hoping someone will offer a hand on this, thanks!

Jun 27, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #288 of 458
  Thanks partner :) In fact there were no explosions and it didn't seem to overheat, so I'm still speculating. I kept this 'on the DL' from the Elise thread so they won't attribute this to my recent tube combo creation (which I'm sure wasn't the cause). Man I'll tell ya though with this new setup on the Elise, I've been having by far and wide the best home-audio experience of my life - in a word, I chose "transcendental"!!! It still usable but really needs a fix. I could open it up once I find the right size screwdriver. This $699 OTL tube amp pushes well into summit-fi territory and I really think a lot of you would like it. But I have limited resources and am still hoping someone will offer a hand on this, thanks!

Maybe @2359glenn can help?

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #289 of 458

DL, you have PM.

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #295 of 458
Is noble audio still coming?

Unfortunately not, due to a last minute schedule conflict.

triportsad.gif

Jun 28, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #296 of 458

My Elise amp is exhibiting a sort of pulsating white noise sound in the left channel and believe me, I have tried everything short of opening it up (swapping cables, tubes, cleaning with air, electrical oil, etc.).

[...]

I kept this 'on the DL' from the Elise thread so they won't attribute this to my recent tube combo creation (which I'm sure wasn't the cause).

Good God, man.

Now I understand why we don't hear about more problems resulting from """"adventurous"""" tube rolling in the Elise thread - I think people are too embarrassed to post when their experiments go awry.

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #298 of 458
Well @RiddleyWalker and @velvetx I guess I can't blame ya, because almost everybody else who saw my tube rolling photo also assumed the same thing, including those with experience.

However many of the enlightened hobbyists happen to know some general things namely about not judging a book by it's cover nor making unsubstantiated assumptions without any basis of proof / communication with the individual involved, and even that this audiophile hobby is shrouded with mysterious 'grey areas' where things are not always as they seem or would be expected.

In my case, the fault was determined to lie somewhere between the left front tube socket and the headphone output jack (most likely a faulty solder joint or potentiometer), whereas my adventurous appearing tube rolling was done on the rear tube sockets, however it was more of an illusion of risky configuration due to the fact that the only thing that was different on my rear tube sockets from many others with this same config. was a dual 6J5 setup in place of a single 6SN7 tube which are completely identical and compatible to each other. It was determined to be at no fault of my own and I will be getting a replacement Elise to exhibit at the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back