Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Sep 27, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #3,842 of 4,655
well it was in WMA format :p

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #3,844 of 4,655
  A 320k file should be indistinguishable for the original.

I generally find that 320kbps is pretty darned good for most intents and purposes.  But my ears are not golden, I suppose. 
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3,846 of 4,655
  I generally find that 320kbps is pretty darned good for most intents and purposes.  But my ears are not golden, I suppose. 
tongue.gif

You don't have to have golden ears to really distinguish between 320 and FLAC -- anything you might hear is probably placebo. I still keep ALAC since I have the hard drive space for it, anyway -- also for backup reasons.

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #3,847 of 4,655
320 Kbps wma = lossy
Haven't yet seen anyone reliably picking out 320 kbps from lossless in a proper test.

Sep 27, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #3,849 of 4,655
So, I told some contractors from India that I am going to Denver to listen to headphones at CANJAM and they asked, "Don't they have headphones here (where I live)? Why would you travel so far just to listen to headphones?"  I explained that it is THE best place to see all of the new gear and audition them before I buy any more.  They did not understand completely, Their frame of reference was their iPhone buds...I will need to bring my HD800's in for them to listen to.

Sep 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #3,850 of 4,655
So, I told some contractors from India that I am going to Denver to listen to headphones at CANJAM and they asked, "Don't they have headphones here (where I live)? Why would you travel so far just to listen to headphones?"  I explained that it is THE best place to see all of the new gear and audition them before I buy any more.  They did not understand completely, Their frame of reference was their iPhone buds...I will need to bring my HD800's in for them to listen to.
yes. HD800 should do it lol. Either that or your stax lambda.

Sep 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #3,851 of 4,655
Apparently my local best buy has the M100's, some $310 Bose HP, and some sennheisers areound that price range.
My aunt insists that Bose are the best, so I'm gonna take a listen to everything.
Seems strange though; I live in West Virginia, and somehow the Best Buy has decent gear.

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #3,852 of 4,655
Apparently my local best buy has the M100's, some $310 Bose HP, and some sennheisers areound that price range.
My aunt insists that Bose are the best, so I'm gonna take a listen to everything.
Seems strange though; I live in West Virginia, and somehow the Best Buy has decent gear.
your aunt must not know anything about audio then lol... No offense intended. Lemme guess: They have the sennheiser Urbanites and momentums? Best buy has the same stuff in MN... If you see the AIAIAI TMA-1's check them about. I really liked em when I tried it at my local best buy... My suggestion is go to a head-fi meet in your area though. Best way to hear all the good stuff. :) if you want, I can give suggestions for headphones for you to look into if you PM me. Always do research before a purchase though. Read some reviews on here if you can't try them out. Amazon is your best friend for audiophile headphone purchases in the states. :wink:

Sep 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #3,853 of 4,655
your aunt must not know anything about audio then lol... No offense intended. Lemme guess: They have the sennheiser Urbanites and momentums? Best buy has the same stuff in MN... If you see the AIAIAI TMA-1's check them about. I really liked em when I tried it at my local best buy... My suggestion is go to a head-fi meet in your area though. Best way to hear all the good stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif
if you want, I can give suggestions for headphones for you to look into if you PM me. Always do research before a purchase though. Read some reviews on here if you can't try them out. Amazon is your best friend for audiophile headphone purchases in the states.
wink.gif

This is West Virginia:  One of the most desolate, yet beautiful places in America.  It is the northernmost southern state, the southernmost northern state, the easternmost western state, and the westernmost eastern state...  and I forgot where I was going with that.  Anyway, I'm not sure what Sennheisers thay have, but my HP plan goes as following: M-100's for portable use; HD598's for home use and music production, along with an amp.
     Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp, along with any HP's that I should try instead?

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #3,854 of 4,655
       This is West Virginia:  One of the most desolate, yet beautiful places in America.  It is the northernmost southern state, the southernmost northern state, the easternmost western state, and the westernmost eastern state...  and I forgot where I was going with that.  Anyway, I'm not sure what Sennheisers thay have, but my HP plan goes as following: M-100's for portable use; HD598's for home use and music production, along with an amp.
     Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp, along with any HP's that I should try instead?

For Portable or home? All I really have to say is try what I'm saving up to try - Alessandro MS2.

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #3,855 of 4,655

For Portable or home? All I really have to say is try what I'm saving up to try - Alessandro MS2.

For portable, I'm wanting something closed, bass boosted, detailed, and won't change the topic of this thread.
For home, I'm wanting open, accurate, neutral, and (most importantly) won't cause the the mods to go insane.

Anyway, I have about five people who use me as their personal DJ.  I use cheap $100 Over the Ear WoodTones.
I'm not sure I wanna upgrade.  I don't need a line of testosterone induced teens to chase me around.
Then again, my wallet is a masochist. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back