Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 7, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #4,651 of 4,655
...Well he said, it was a quiet day, and he got talking to the dealer as they were about to wrap up the purchase of the DT1350, and the dealer invited to have a listen to some of the demo setups.

Well one thing led to another, and he ended up cancelling the DT1350s and walked out with a Focal Elear and a Mojo.

So much for the strict $200 budget.

And that, my friends, is why you never simply "talk to the dealer." :grinning:

May 7, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #4,652 of 4,655
And that, my friends, is why you never simply "talk to the dealer." :grinning:

LOL, yeah, I know what you mean, but I will come to the defence of this dealer in that they really are a no pressure outfit - you listen, and if you like you buy, or if what you like is outside your budget then they'll go to the effort to find something tonally similar within your budget. However, there absolutely is no pressure to buy at all.

I spent a couple of hours there recently trying out the HD800, HD800S, and the Beyer T1.2, but I didn't really get along with any of them, and when I mentioned that, the guy, who knows me from uncountable visits, said that he already had a pretty good idea I wouldn't like them as they didn't match the tonal characteristics of what I've bought from them previously. No sale that time, but the service means I'll go back again, and again.

As for my friend, well he's as happy as a pig in the proverbial. He said that he didn't believe that headphones could sound so right. He likens the Elear to something that sounds like listening on really good speakers, and said that while they last he'll never buy another pair of headphones.

For some of us it's the journey that's the most exciting part. For others, like my friend, it's the destination that counts.

May 7, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #4,653 of 4,655
He said that he didn't believe that headphones could sound so right. He likens the Elear to something that sounds like listening on really good speakers, and said that while they last he'll never buy another pair of headphones.

For some of us it's the journey that's the most exciting part. For others, like my friend, it's the destination that counts.

We both know those words are rarely lived up to in this realm, especially after the surprise budget jump your friend just made. Happy he's happy but I'd love to hear about where he stands in a month or two. Sequel? But in all honesty, it is possible. I'm happily going on a year now on a single pair of "destination" headphones when just months before that I had rapidly journeyed through five different sets with increasing price tags, and didn't see myself stopping. I guess the journey was exciting for me until the destination became more exciting :o2smile:. Anyway, sorry for the side-track. I need to find a pair of non-audiophile ears to put my headphones on.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #4,655 of 4,655
Time to breathe some life back into this thread.

A week or so ago I sent my relative a gift as he's starting university. He's in England, but I'm based in LA so the logistics proved tricky. All I knew about his tastes was that he liked Drake, dance music, some electronic. I gave him some of my own gear (Cascades, Cayin N6ii etc) but also sent him a new pair of LegendX's.

He had no idea how to use any of it, all he's used up to that point (to my knowledge) was Beats. I had to send him a how to video on wearing IEMs around the ear. After a week or so, I heard back from him. He's been listening for several hours a day, non stop. He was raving about the bass, how he could even taste it at times. Very interesting reaction! I began pointing him to sites like Bandcamp where he can get high quality tracks from all different genres, as all he's been using is Spotify (which isn't terrible, but still).

We started talking about how cables can affect sound quality (as I supplied him a silver Draug cable for the Cascade). We disagreed on this issue, he says it simply doesn't make sense for differences to be audible etc.. It was interesting, but we both agreed Norne cables are crazy good. It's a lot of fun being able to pass on the audiophile bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back