Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Nov 11, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #4,636 of 4,655
Just recently got my MDR-1As and gave my wife an opportunity to listen to them. She usually never appreciates technology of any kind, but she loves music so I thought there might be a chance. She listened to them and made that "hmm..." sound when something sort of takes her by surprise in a pleasant way. The big test will be my dad with these cans: he's always hated anything Sony, and has sold high-end audio video home theatre equipment for over 30 years. If he likes them, I know I did OK.

PS: I know it isn't summit-fi, but a big jump from the other stuff I've owned.

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #4,638 of 4,655
When I bought my HD800s in the beginning of November last year, all my friends were like "Are you out of your mind, bud, I'd never drop that much cash on headphones". Most of them were more like, shocked, rather than impressed. Some of them tried them out and quite frankly, I couldn't get 'em to leave after that :D They absolutely loved the sound, but they were still convinced that they're not worth that price tag. Go figure.

Feb 12, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #4,641 of 4,655
  Choo Choo is way off the track now.  Lets get it back on track.
deadhorse.gif

So I was checking on my order for the Schiit Asgard on my work computer (slightly against the rules, but I had to know) and a buddy walked over and said, "What kind a schiit is that your looking at? That is not work appropriate!"  I think all he saw was what it sounded like and not the actual spelling. 

Sorry to hear you have to work with co-workers who are busy bodies and tattle tales. I have some of those myself.

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #4,642 of 4,655
co-worker: [upon going from her Sony MDRV55 to my ATH-M40x] *30 seconds* "Wow, these are way better." *20 seconds later* "OK, you can have these back now, I'm going to like them too much."

May 3, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #4,646 of 4,655
I was giving mt 15-year-old grandson a pair of Polk (forget model) on ear headphones after he said he really liked them. Then I let him listen to the same song on my HD-650s. His face lit up with a big wow expression after about ten seconds. "Can I have these," he asked when the music stopped? "Nope," says I.

May 4, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #4,648 of 4,655
I have my noble K10s and really hate when someone at work decides to push the subject of how much they cost. Everytime same shock horror and the worst part is that only I can listen to my CIEMs so they can't even try them out for me to explain the awesomeness. Now let's not get into DAC/AMP territory that's a whole another level of crazy to them!

May 7, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #4,649 of 4,655
I have my noble K10s and really hate when someone at work decides to push the subject of how much they cost. Everytime same shock horror and the worst part is that only I can listen to my CIEMs so they can't even try them out for me to explain the awesomeness. Now let's not get into DAC/AMP territory that's a whole another level of crazy to them!

You could always force fit it to their ears tbh

May 7, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #4,650 of 4,655
A friend of mine listened to my DT1350s as he was in the market for some headphones - his first after listening to nothing more than Apple Earpods for his entire life. He was very very impressed, but said he had a strict $200 limit.

I told him to go to my local dealer where he could find them for around $230, but told him that also the HD-25 would fit into his budget if he really couldn't go the extra $30.

Next time I saw him I asked if he got them. He replied no, but he did go to that dealer. So, what did you get then, I asked him.

Well he said, it was a quiet day, and he got talking to the dealer as they were about to wrap up the purchase of the DT1350, and the dealer invited to have a listen to some of the demo setups.

Well one thing led to another, and he ended up cancelling the DT1350s and walked out with a Focal Elear and a Mojo.

So much for the strict $200 budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back