Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Sep 27, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #3,856 of 4,655
For portable, I'm wanting something closed, bass boosted, detailed, and won't change the topic of this thread.
For home, I'm wanting open, accurate, neutral, and (most importantly) won't cause the the mods to go insane.

Anyway, I have about five people who use me as their personal DJ.  I use cheap $100 Over the Ear WoodTones.
I'm not sure I wanna upgrade.  I don't need a line of testosterone induced teens to chase me around.
Then again, my wallet is a masochist. 

Lol, I don't have the slightest idea of what headphones are really bass boosted, except the M100.
I suppose the MS2 would be too bright for home use.

Sep 27, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #3,859 of 4,655
  I thought all (most) closed HP's were bass boosted.

Not exactly but generally, closed headphone will usually have more bass than open headphone with a few exceptions such as Philips X1. 

I think your HD598 for home and M100 for on the go is a good buy. They should be able to compensate each other well. For amp/DAC, I suggest E17/E07K if you are in budget if not, the iFi Audio Nano iDSD/iCan. All the amp/DAC suggested can be used for portable or stationary. as a standalone DAC or an amp or both combo [except for iCan, it is just an amplifier].

Hope it helps
Billson  

Sep 27, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #3,860 of 4,655
  Not exactly but generally, closed headphone will usually have more bass than open headphone with a few exceptions such as Philips X1. 

I think your HD598 for home and M100 for on the go is a good buy. They should be able to compensate each other well. For amp/DAC, I suggest E17/E07K if you are in budget if not, the iFi Audio Nano iDSD/iCan. All the amp/DAC suggested can be used for portable or stationary. as a standalone DAC or an amp or both combo [except for iCan, it is just an amplifier].

Hope it helps
Billson  

OK, thanks!  I shall build up my trading fuel supply, receive the M-100's for Christmas, then stick a knife into my masochist wallet to buy the HD598/E07K combo.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #3,862 of 4,655
I actually quite enjoyed the studio 2's. The frequency curve looks almost exactly like an hd25's. And dubstep? Meh. I like just calling it all electronic... Especially since a lot of the stuff I find is very... Odd. Listen to this! You'll like it I'm certain. I enjoy orchestra, but I can find electronic music that has just as many parts and layers to it.
smily_headphones1.gif
don't get me wrong. I too started listening to orchestra after buying my new headphones. http://m.soundcloud.com/omnitica/straw-hat-pirates-instrumental there's the song, tell me what ya think.

Again, old comment, but I very much enjoyed it.  It reminds me of some of YourEnigma's music.

Sep 28, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #3,863 of 4,655
Couldn't help but to jump in at the comment regarding Orchestra.  I love John Adams for layered instrumentals and soundstage testing.  Beethoven's symphonies are great for testing overall quality of Music, and a bit of Debussy on the side for fun.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #3,864 of 4,655
Quick l
Quick lesson not meant to be rude. Optical media like CD and DVD is spelt Disc with a C. Magnetic media like HDD is Disk with a K. Anyway parent told me the same thing. I told them it didn't make sense to pay more money for a lower quality MP3 so that's why I buy discs. Guy alI bought a PortaPro for said youtube to MP3 (192kbps thank god)was better than CD. I explained the whole 1411.2kbps thing. In the end it doesn't matter to me. I like my CDs

That's why I go digital FLAC. My parents won't complain.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #3,868 of 4,655
My roommate does not even want to listen to my headphones. He says he doesn't want to feel like he needs to upgrade (and spend money) and has decided to keep his ears used to the lower quality songs and headphones he already has.

I never would have anticipated this response, but it seems like a good idea considering that we are both strapped for cash while we are in college.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #3,869 of 4,655
My roommate does not even want to listen to my headphones. He says he doesn't want to feel like he needs to upgrade (and spend money) and has decided to keep his ears used to the lower quality songs and headphones he already has.

I never would have anticipated this response, but it seems like a good idea considering that we are both strapped for cash while we are in college.

Herm...

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #3,870 of 4,655

My friend said the same. I asked him to listen to the ZX100 and he said "Don't tempt me I'm saving for an SSD"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back