New Woo Audio6
Dec 4, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #46 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what recommendation on brand for 6de7 ??

You cant go wrong with tung Sol.
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #49 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just about to order the WA3 (tomorrow). Hopefully I don't regret this
600smile.gif

You won't regret it...welcome to the club.
eggosmile.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #50 of 100
Quote:

Thanks for the info on the tung Sol , what about the nitrogen dip ? Also I have the 595's and will be buying the 650's or rs-1's .

If you know someone that uses the correct method of cryo. Tung-sol, like Early mentioned are a good bet. At the price I would pick up a few brands. I see on Ebay the metal base have gone up with used ones going for over 150 each. I wouldn't buy the US made if you can get Mullard or Amperex. The US are good but the others are better. Many times the RCA branded tubes are (GZ34/5AR4) are Mullard but you need to look for the hole in the guide pin and the etching on the glass. I also would not get the later scalloped edge model. The early tubes had straight not scalloped plates.

Dec 4, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #52 of 100
Quote:

I bought the wa6 and it sounds far and away better than the dared mp5 i was using . My interest now is the drive tubes . All price ranges for the gz34 but only a few dollars for power tube 6de7 ? What gives???

Hello,

This sounds very encouraging. Can you share with us what headphones you are using with the WA6 ?

Thanks,
F. Lo

Dec 4, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #53 of 100
Quote:

Uh oh...I'm starting to second guess my decision and wondering about the newer WA6....

I have 6.5 hours to decide...

I can't speak for the 3 , but I am extremely pleased with the 6 . I'm a set tube fan for pure tube sound , the 3 has otl transformer . They make my 595's sound so good I'm going to the 650's or rs-1's

Dec 4, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #54 of 100
Quote:

I can't speak for the 3 , but I am extremely pleased with the 6 . I'm a set tube fan for pure tube sound , the 3 has otl transformer . They make my 595's sound so good I'm going to the 650's or rs-1's

Hi, Bob, the wa3 doesn't have the output transformers, but wa6 does.
I recently bought a 701, and I hear it with my wa6. It sounds detailed and juicy. when I turn the volume at 1 o'clock, the wa6 makes enough energy to drive the k701. I love the combo.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #55 of 100
What made me buy the 6 after researching so many $3k and down was the fact I'm using headphones exclusively . I went for the quality of this set by design and material build . Just didn't want to spend excess $'s on too much unusable power when the sound is what mattered .

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #56 of 100
I recently had Mr. Woo tweak the Woo 6 for higher output for my AKG 701's. It is now perfect volume for me at Twelve O'Clock. This amp is great with Senns as well as the 701's. It has a round full musical and detailed sound. Extremely nice top end. Rivals the Mapletree audio Purist for sound with the Grados... The Woo is a bit more relaxed than the Mapletree,while the Mapletree has a slightly denser sound from the mids on up.

Dec 6, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #57 of 100
Quote:

Uh oh...I'm starting to second guess my decision and wondering about the newer WA6....

I have 6.5 hours to decide...

Don't worry... with the right tubes the WA3 is outstanding with high impedence phones (Senns) - the WA6 is likely no better... except with low impedence phones (Grados).

You will be very pleased, once you've burnt it in, and you've upgraded the tubes!

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #58 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Avin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently had Mr. Woo tweak the Woo 6 for higher output for my AKG 701's. It is now perfect volume for me at Twelve O'Clock. This amp is great with Senns as well as the 701's. It has a round full musical and detailed sound. Extremely nice top end. Rivals the Mapletree audio Purist for sound with the Grados... The Woo is a bit more relaxed than the Mapletree,while the Mapletree has a slightly denser sound from the mids on up.

How many hours are on the 6? I would think that 100 plus on the transformers will be needed and more on the rest of the components. I do like the layout and the tubes used. I just hope they put some money in the iron as the transformers are really the heart and sole of the amp. I have two Audio Note nickel double C core output transformers and they cost close to 1000$. It is in the iron and this can not be stressed enough.

The one thing I do like about the signal path in the 6 is that the channels are not in the same tube. The signal path is also very short; as within the same tube. The 5AR4 is also my favorite and I would love to put in a nice metal base Amperex or whatever else they made it in (I think I am losing it as I can't remember the manufactures of this tube and I have 5 or 6).

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #59 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just hope they put some money in the iron as the transformers are really the heart and sole of the amp. I have two Audio Note nickel double C core output transformers and they cost close to 1000$. It is in the iron and this can not be stressed enough.

The one thing I do like about the signal path in the 6 is that the channels are not in the same tube. The signal path is also very short; as within the same tube. The 5AR4 is also my favorite and I would love to put in a nice metal base Amperex or whatever else they made it in (I think I am losing it as I can't remember the manufactures of this tube and I have 5 or 6).

I am currently in dialogue with Mr. Woo on a potential buy of a WA6, and yes, Mr. Woo personally confirm that the specially made output transformer is one reason behind the WA6 performance.

Looks like my wallet is going to hurt again.

F. Lo

Dec 6, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #60 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am currently in dialogue with Mr. Woo on a potential buy of a WA6, and yes, Mr. Woo personally confirm that the specially made output transformer is one reason behind the WA6 performance.

Looks like my wallet is going to hurt again.

F. Lo

That is good to hear. I know he has been in the business for some time so he should know what he is doing and he does seem to be very dedicated. I like the solid and compact build quality of his amps. I would love to get a red 6. Maybe when i get back to the states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back