New Woo Audio6
Nov 16, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #31 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy
pics?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dept_of_Alchemy, I, too, would like to see pics of the WooAudio6. If the pics of the 4 (in "WooAudio 4 Impressions (pics)" begun by LeChuck) are any indication, then it's a killer!

[ADDED LATER] Photos available at the WooAudio site:
http://wooaudio.com/products/

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #32 of 100
feifan said:
Dept_of_Alchemy, I, too, would like to see pics of the WooAudio6. If the pics of the 4 (in "WooAudio 4 Impressions (pics)" begun by LeChuck) are any indication, then it's a killer!

[ADDED LATER] Photos available at the WooAudio site:
http://wooaudio.com/products/[/
QUOTE]

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207350

OH lookit that there was a recent thread with links to the Woo Audio site also included in case if somebody may have missed it, just in case....

Beautiful looking and there are no photos that could ever do justice as to how good looking the Woo Products must look in person, especially at night with the lights off, glowing in the light of those tubes off of that shiny case work... Sounds beautiful ;-}

Nov 17, 2006 at 5:49 PM Post #33 of 100
I just did a check of Woo's web site. WoW! It's as slick as cow snot. Nice job Woo. I would like to hear a Woo4.
eggosmile.gif

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #34 of 100
The feel and look of the amp Woo3 and 6 is just right. It is not too big or small and they hit on the right balance in proportions. I look forward to more impressions on the sound and tube rolling. The rectifier tube should have a big influence here with the fairly direct power supply circuit.

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #35 of 100
Hello all,

Wonder if anyone has just done this ? If I am to pick an amp from Woo, which one should I go for ?

My cans are :-
HD650 (2, with G52 and RAL resp.)
GS1000
K701
W5000

Any recommendations are welcome. I am planning something for my Christmas.

Thanks in advance,
F. Lo

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #37 of 100
If it were me, and I were only driving the Senns (hi impedence phones) - I'd get the WA3 with the right tubes - hard to beat at the price, or twice the price.

If I were driving both Senns and Grados (low impedence phones) - I'd get the WA6... but, the reviews have been "less than glowing" to this point - so, I'd be prepared to return it within the 15 days.

So... I'd either upgrade to the WA4 for both Senns and Grados... or, I'd get the MAD EAR+ HD (at a much lower price and the better option for both, until the WA6 is perfected).

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:11 PM Post #38 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it were me, and I were only driving the Senns (hi impedence phones) - I'd get the WA3 with the right tubes - hard to beat at the price, or twice the price.

If I were driving both Senns and Grados (low impedence phones) - I'd get the WA6... but, the reviews have been "less than glowing" to this point - so, I'd be prepared to return it within the 15 days.

So... I'd either upgrade to the WA4 for both Senns and Grados... or, I'd get the MAD EAR+ HD (at a much lower price and the better option for both, until the WA6 is perfected).

Since you mentioned the WA4, do we have any impressions about WA2 which looks also attractive.

I was also considering the Ear+ HD but some were saying that it does not have enough juice for K701 ??? Not sure if it is actually the case, but sounds like the WA6 also have similar challenge ?

I like the finish and styling of the WAs, compared to the Ear+, but at the end, it is the sound that matters.

F. Lo

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #39 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you mentioned the WA4, do we have any impressions about WA2 which looks also attractive.

I was also considering the Ear+ HD but some were saying that it does not have enough juice for K701 ??? Not sure if it is actually the case, but sounds like the WA6 also have similar challenge ?

I like the finish and styling of the WAs, compared to the Ear+, but at the end, it is the sound that matters.

F. Lo

Do a search for WooAudio 2 / WA2 / Woo 2 / etc. - "doc wells" has some comments on the WA2.

From what I understand, from "doc" and Wu, it's just a more powerful WA3 - which may drive Grados a bit better, but may not completely resolve the issue with low impedence phones. I'm sure it's great with Senns, but I'm not sure I'd bet on it driving the Grados as well as other amps.

And... yes... while we'd like every amp to be as attractive as the WA amps, it's quite clearly "the sound that matters."

Dec 4, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #40 of 100
I bought the wa6 and it sounds far and away better than the dared mp5 i was using . My interest now is the drive tubes . All price ranges for the gz34 but only a few dollars for power tube 6de7 ? What gives???

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #41 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought the wa6 and it sounds far and away better than the dared mp5 i was using . My interest now is the drive tubes . All price ranges for the gz34 but only a few dollars for power tube 6de7 ? What gives???

Supply and demand. The GZ34's have been used with a number of pieces of equipment and are highly respected as a rectifier tube. They just plain perform well. The good ones are no longer made and so there goes supply. Are there still plenty around? Yes, there are many, many thousands of these tubes in NOS. There are some suppliers sitting on huge stocks waiting for the price to go up even more. The 6DE7 has been used very little. There is little current demand, if any. It is a good tube but no one that I know of, and I have done searches and I have contacted a couple of suppliers that also design equipment and they have no experience with the tube, has used this tube. So the price will be low, which is great as there are a number of good manufactures to pick from. If I had this amp and I would like to get one when back in the states, I would use my metal base GZ34, which is expenisive but worth the price. You have to think of the tubes as a true part of the amp and in many cases, an upgrade. The metal base can cost 150 dollars or more but worth it. It has a very high vaccum and will last a life time. I have some nos and some used. The used have many, many hours (1000's) of use and sound and perform, and measure like new and they are good looking.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #42 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The 6DE7 is both the gain and output tube in one tube. The GZ34 is a rectifier tube for the power supply. GZ34's are rare tubes so they cost much more. Hardly anyone uses the nos 6DE7 dissimilar triode so they are plentiful and inexpensive.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #43 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 6DE7 is both the gain and output tube in one tube. The GZ34 is a rectifier tube for the power supply. GZ34's are rare tubes so they cost much more. Hardly anyone uses the nos 6DE7 dissimilar triode so they are plentiful and inexpensive.

Actually the 34 isn't rare. I used to deal in these. What the problem is Earl is that there are some big suppliers that have bought huge lots of these and they are sitting on them. There are many 1000's of beautiful metal base 1957 GZ34's in storage with one supplier in Europe. In the US I know of one in California. There are many in other areas. On the Mullard 34's I still have around 40 or 50 NOS from 1962 and they sound great. There are just so many demands for the 34 design-wise that they can and do get a good price or bad price if you are buying them. I have a Cary SLA30 that uses 2 GZ34's. I will take tube rectification over silicon any day but even I use other methods due to practicality as tubes can't always be applied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back