New Woo Audio6
Dec 15, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #76 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too will be buying tubes . It looks like tons of options for the g34 but very little for the 6de7 .

There are many options on the 6DE7. They were made by Sylvania, RCA, GE Tung-sol and Raytheon. You also can start, though it will take a little work, in the 1950's and go from there. The tubes change as time progressed due to manufacturing differences and so goes it with the sound they produce. I always prefer the earlier tubes as the best days of the people on the line was from the 1940's and earlier to the early 1960's. This is a generalization but fairly accurate.

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #77 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many options on the 6DE7. They were made by Sylvania, RCA, GE Tung-sol and Raytheon. You also can start, though it will take a little work, in the 1950's and go from there. The tubes change as time progressed due to manufacturing differences and so goes it with the sound they produce. I always prefer the earlier tubes as the best days of the people on the line was from the 1940's and earlier to the early 1960's. This is a generalization but fairly accurate.

Thanks for the tube info , it seems I put in a lot of work getting a handle on my accent to rolling .

Dec 15, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #78 of 100
I should add that not always did a manufacture make all of their own tubes. GE might get some from RCA and mark them GE and so on but their are specs from RCA, Raytheon, Sylvania and maybe others and often they did make them though again, that is no garantee that always what you are getting is an RCA but I haven't found this to be a real issue. Tung-sol generally made their own tubes and Tung-sol, as Earl has noted, are normally good tubes.

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #79 of 100
OK... OK... OK...

You've had enough time to burn it in, and try it with multiple phones.

So how does it sound now... with Grados and Senns???

Does it sound great with Grados... or just OK???

How does it compare to the EAR+ HD???

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #80 of 100
Yeah, enough time already. :^)

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #81 of 100
My WA6 arrived a few days ago. Still burning it in using the stock tubes. Build quality is superb. It is heavy. The 5AR4 stock is a Chinese tube, and the 6CE7 are GE's. My WA6 has dual RCA inputs, and Cardas RCA plugs as part of the custom order.

I have powered it up and played continuously for over 48 hours now, and have not done any serious listening yet. But even with the stock tube and casual listening, it is IMPRESSIVE. Using my CD Player & DAC as source, my K701 is loun enough at 12 o'clock and perform effortlessly. My HD650 (with Zu Mobius modified by RAL) sounds great. The W5000 now have additional weigh on top of its silky smoothness. Haven't tried the GS1000 yet as I am now also burning in the modified Zu Mobius.

Setup: MF A3.5 glass optical to Zhaolu D2C; Marantz SA14 SPDIF (Au24) to Zhaolu D2C, BPT (Balance Power Techology) IC-SL (unshielded) from Zhaolu to WA6. BTW, the IC-SL is really remarkable ! Power supply to WA6 via Black Sand Cable Artic Blue MkIII with Wattgate Silver Plugs, tapped from PS Audio Duet.

Initial impression, though very crude, is that the WA6 offered an unmistakable tube sound but very good details and dynamics. Very involving. Tonality and texture is relative accurate (compared to my Lehmann BCL which is my reference for accuracy) compared to other tube amps I've heard.

Will have to wait a few more days and then do some serious listening, if time allows. Have ordered some Philips MiniWatt Metal Base and a Amperex GZ34 but they haven't arrived yet. Also ordered a RCA 5U4G to see how it sounds compared to the 5AR4.

In the near future when I have more time, will try to see how the WA6 compares with my Raptor, and the Earmax Silver Edition. But no promise though (my Earmax S.E. is still in the box, so is the Little Dot MT !)

That's for now.

So many amps, So little time.

F. Lo

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:58 PM Post #82 of 100
If you something you can run through the LD Micro Tube to burn it in I would use it because the amp takes longer to really run in than most any amp I have used but once it gets to that point, well it really needs a lot of play time.

I will enjoy reading your further impressions of the 6. Those opt's will take a little time. It will be nice to get your impressions of the differences, or not, or the amps you have to the 6.

Jan 13, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #83 of 100
Still following along,I find my w6 to be stunning.What are you going to do about the 6DE7's?I'm still looking for what and where.Will be picking up a mullard for the rectifier.

Jan 14, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #84 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still following along,I find my w6 to be stunning.What are you going to do about the 6DE7's?I'm still looking for what and where.Will be picking up a mullard for the rectifier.

I am not sure about your statement. Are you having a hard time finding the 6DE7's? They used to be very common but so few of people or companies continued to use them often like many tubes they were dumped. They are around though and with some suppliers very plentiful and not too expensive, around 7 dollars. I have also seen them on Ebay but Iwould check with different regular tube sellers.

Jan 15, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #85 of 100
I'm trying to find the year and brand that will make the biggest difference.I will be buying a mullard for the rectifier but nothing stands out for the 6de7that I can find like the tunsol.

Jan 16, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #86 of 100
That will take investigation and trial and error since this is the first use of the tube, that I know of, in an audio application of this type. You can be base of knowledge, so buy lots of tubes and let us know. :^)

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #87 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have powered it up and played continuously for over 48 hours now, and have not done any serious listening yet. But even with the stock tube and casual listening, it is IMPRESSIVE. Using my CD Player & DAC as source, my K701 is loun enough at 12 o'clock and perform effortlessly. My HD650 (with Zu Mobius modified by RAL) sounds great. The W5000 now have additional weigh on top of its silky smoothness. Haven't tried the GS1000 yet as I am now also burning in the modified Zu Mobius.

In the near future when I have more time, will try to see how the WA6 compares with my Raptor, and the Earmax Silver Edition. But no promise though (my Earmax S.E. is still in the box, so is the Little Dot MT !)

F.Lo
I am particularly interested in your comparison of the Woo6 with the Raptor and HD650 (mobius) as I have auditioned the Raptor and have the HD650.
My thought at the time was that, while the Raptor was nice, it wasn't significantly different from my PreHead or Cyber20 to warrant the extra pain to my wallet...
Have you looked at the Yamamoto HA-02 at all?
regards
dalida

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #89 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird...I'm running my DT990 (250ohm) at somewhere between 10~11 o'clock range, depending on the music...

Doesn't K701 have impedance of 62 ohm?

it is 62 ohm, but is quite a beast to drive. i have tried it next to an hd600 which is 300 on the same amplifier and it needed the same or more gain applied. similarly, my beyers at 250 needed more gain than the hd600... something in me says that current is massive that needs to be applied to those 62 ohms. i am suprised that the grados run well off an amplifier that needs massive gain gains to drive the k701... bother me.

Jan 23, 2007 at 9:59 AM Post #90 of 100
Jamoto,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but lowering the impedance of the headphones on the Woo 3 (OTL) should reduce the volume, other things being equal, but have no effect on the Woo 6 (SE). So, for people who are a little bit hard of hearing, maybe the Grados would play louder on the Woo 6 than the Woo 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back