New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival 2013
Mar 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #182 of 339
  You can compare quantity and quality of a bass E5 and DJ Sig? (I owned these headphones)

I tend to be a very cautious reviewer. I may be able to compare the SigDJ (which I have) to the Ed5 the next time I visit the showroom but right now I wouldn't even dare write what I think about comparing the two. The last time I heard the Ed5 was back in early November at a speaker show. Although I listened for 20-30 mins it was way too long for me to remember any details.

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #184 of 339
LOL, I woke up this morning and I had a nightmare about buying the ED5's. I've heard from multiple people this is a midrange headphone and my favorite source said it would work well with a tube amp. So I'm at a lost of why the nightmare occured, I thought I had moved on from this debacle.

No idea what it means but time will tell once they are released. Hopefully all of you that order them will have them by the end of this month so you can let the rest of us know how they feel and fit and sound.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #185 of 339
Funny you gave this topic a boost again. Coincidentally I saw a 2nd hand one for sale in Fujiya Avic (for something like $4600 or thereabouts). Decided to give it another listen off the AK240 :-

The Edition 5, to me sounds quite U-shaped to my ears and the trebles are quite typically the Ultrasone house sound trebles. I think for those who do like Ultrasones would probably continue to like with this model as (to me at least) it sounds like a refined Ed8. On the other hand if you're not an Ultrasone fan, well this model isn't going to change your mind.

I would say though it's a really comfortable and reasonably isolating headphone. Not as much as the Alpha Dogs but still quite reasonably isolating.

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #186 of 339
Good for you for giving it another listen. A little shocked someone is already selling a used one that is basically the same as the purchase price. The ED5 in Europe is going for about $4,700, in the US it's going for $5K. Interesting about the isolation, the ED8 is the best isolating headphone I've ever has the pleasure of listening to. 

After my order was cancelled I jumped on the HD800 and a nice amp instead, it took my ears a while to get used to open headphones, Wow, I'm at a lost for words when it comes to Open VS. Closed. I will find a way to listen to the ED5 and thank you for this information. 

I am curious what does U-shaped mean? I understand what V-shaped means, but never heard the term U-Shaped. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #187 of 339
  Good for you for giving it another listen. A little shocked someone is already selling a used one that is basically the same as the purchase price. The ED5 in Europe is going for about $4,700, in the US it's going for $5K. Interesting about the isolation, the ED8 is the best isolating headphone I've ever has the pleasure of listening to. 

After my order was cancelled I jumped on the HD800 and a nice amp instead, it took my ears a while to get used to open headphones, Wow, I'm at a lost for words when it comes to Open VS. Closed. I will find a way to listen to the ED5 and thank you for this information. 

I am curious what does U-shaped mean? I understand what V-shaped means, but never heard the term U-Shaped. 

To -me-, U shaped the mids are recessed but not as much as V-shaped. The limited edition Ultrasones are kind of a hit 'n miss. The Ed8LEs fell too but the Ed9's shot up like crazy.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #189 of 339
Read the entire thread. From whT I've gathered these are incredibly overpriced and not worth the money. I'm currently rockin signature dj's. I listen to a lot of various techno/EDM and the bass from the sig dj's is mesmerizing to me. So basically the extra 4300 dollars these would be is rly not even an upgrade from the sig dj's. Are they even worse sounding than the sig dj's?

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #190 of 339
I've heard them only for a short time at the High End fair in Munich this year, but while they did not sound worse than the Sig DJ (actually they sounded quite decent with less pronounced bass), they by no measure sound 2800€ better. Plus the Sig DJ as a more robust construction, fold flat and are readily available... keep them, maybe upgrade your amp/DAC or, even better, get some music for the money... you'll overall be served better I'd say.
Read the entire thread. From whT I've gathered these are incredibly overpriced and not worth the money. I'm currently rockin signature dj's. I listen to a lot of various techno/EDM and the bass from the sig dj's is mesmerizing to me. So basically the extra 4300 dollars these would be is rly not even an upgrade from the sig dj's. Are they even worse sounding than the sig dj's?

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #191 of 339
Went to the National Audio Show today. Had plenty of time to listen to some great phones. Came down to a shoot out between the Edition 5 and Audeze LCD3. My wife was not wowed by the Ultrasones at all, while I absolutely loved them. So apparently I am the first person in UK to buy a pair. Should be here in a couple of days.

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #192 of 339
Did you also listen to other Ultrasones in comparison?

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #193 of 339
I listened to them today at a show in Germany (& compared to "closed headphones: LCD XC, T5P, SigPRO...), and much to my surprise... Liked them a lot !

Very detailed, quite airy, and VERY confortable. Better than my TH-900 that now by comparaison I find too basy and less precise.

My quest for my " isolating" headphone may End there :).

Sep 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #194 of 339
I did listen to some of the other Ultrasones but as it came straight after the Audeze phones, I went straight to the Edition 5s. They struck me as extremely uncoloured and transparent. Through an AK240 there was frankly little to choose between the Ed5 and the LCD3. Through a Bryston amp the difference was clearer, although as I say my wife disagreed with me!!

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #195 of 339
Tried a few amps today. The Bryston BHA-1 sounded powerful, and incredibly detailed. However there was a slight edge to the upper range that was a bit tiring. Icon HP8 sounded great with some music almost like an electrostatic. However it struggled with more upbeat stuff, but would be a great choice for jazz and classical. Lots of upgrade possibilities too with the valves and capacitors.
Finally settled on the Auralic Taurus MK2. This amp seemed to do everything right, beautifully fluid sound, almost valve like transparency, and only losing out slightly to the Bryston in the bottom end. Fantastic build quality and definitely the best fit for the Ultrasone. Fully balanced, so looking forward to upgrading the headphone cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back