New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival 2013
Sep 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #196 of 339
I am happy to see that I am not the only one here who like the ED5 :D

When I auditioned it, I found the Grace Design M920 quite a good match. Even better than my HUGO !

I believe that the ED5 being quite detailed, it likes "clean" amp, and the 902 is a "monitoring" amp.

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #197 of 339
Tried a few amps today. The Bryston BHA-1 sounded powerful, and incredibly detailed. However there was a slight edge to the upper range that was a bit tiring. Icon HP8 sounded great with some music almost like an electrostatic. However it struggled with more upbeat stuff, but would be a great choice for jazz and classical. Lots of upgrade possibilities too with the valves and capacitors.
Finally settled on the Auralic Taurus MK2. This amp seemed to do everything right, beautifully fluid sound, almost valve like transparency, and only losing out slightly to the Bryston in the bottom end. Fantastic build quality and definitely the best fit for the Ultrasone. Fully balanced, so looking forward to upgrading the headphone cable.

What "upgrade" balanced cable do you have in your radar ? 

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #199 of 339
I am happy to see that I am not the only one here who like the ED5 :D

When I auditioned it, I found the Grace Design M920 quite a good match. Even better than my HUGO !

I believe that the ED5 being quite detailed, it likes "clean" amp, and the 902 is a "monitoring" amp.

Wasnt that keen on the Hugo myself, but I've never been a fan of Chord DACs and of course it is not balanced. The Grace was not available at the show or at least I didn't spot it!

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #200 of 339
I also have a Edition 5 now and I'm excited of the sound. Very detailed, great soundstage and the best very natural tonality. Not neutral, a little U shaped. A lot better then the shrilled unnatural Ed. 8!
I use them with my Phonitor2 and Taurus MKII.

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #201 of 339
I am actually a little confused, that so many people buy this very expensive headphone at the same time. But ok, keep the impressions incoming guys. And do not mention any discounts that you got here online, protect the sellers from the rage of the companies and discuss such things offline. Just saying.

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #202 of 339
Now that there's a decent amount of very positive impressions of the ED5, it begs the question, will the USA get any pairs to listen to at any upcoming audio shows? I am extremely curious to judge the sound for myself. 

For people who have the ED5:
1. Are the highs standard Ultrasone highs? ie: A bit towards the harsh side?
2. How hard does the bass hit? I doubt it's comparable to the TH900, right? 

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #204 of 339
Highs are like honey compared to Ed.8. Never shrill.
TH900 has more bass and hitting harder.

Wow, so Ultrasone finally fixed the biggest complaint they had since their inception I guess. The highs being smooth yet detailed is something I've never heard described from an Ultrasone can. 
The ED5 might be the real deal then. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #205 of 339
I compared now with my XC. Soundstage of Ed.5 is better. Bass hitting hard as XC. But in the end very good setting over the whole frequency spectrum. For me the Ed.9 was the best Ultrasone ever with Sig Pro. The Ed.8 and Ed.10 are a catastrophe. The Ed.12 with a warmer setting a lot better. And the Ed.5 is superb sounding and concurrent for the XC. For now the best US. I think they will come with a Ed.6 or something similar with same driver, simpler material for under 2000EUR.

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #206 of 339
Double Helix Cables probably, because they also do a great balanced cable for my AK240. Should get an email from Ultrasone tomorrow with their recommendations.

please can you forward (PM ? ) the answer from Ultrasone.  Indeed, I want to change my cable for better quality and shorter lengh versions (1meter with 1/4" and 1,5 meter balanced XLR)

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #207 of 339
In my comparison I think the bass was more extended on the Audeze LCD3, but the quality of the bass was better on the ED5. The ED5 is I believe more accurate in this sense. A guy at the show who was also knocked out by the Ultrasone commented on the Bass being more accurate on the ED5 also.
Returning today to try out amps, I was again struck by how superior the Ultrasone to most other phones.

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #209 of 339
Highs are like honey compared to Ed.8. Never shrill.
TH900 has more bass and hitting harder.

This saturday I compared the ED5 with my TH900..and bought an ED5.

I have loved my Fostex for 2 years, but now, after comparing it to the ED5 (and also to the hifiman he-560 that was a shock for me: found it better than the HE-6), I finally find my TH900 TOO BASSY, and that this extra bass blur the music, and hide many details.  I am not in love any more with my TH900.... and may replace it by a HE-560 ! 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back