New Ultrasone Edition 5 hinted in the Fujiya Avice Autumn Festival 2013
Dec 21, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #151 of 339
  Oh wow!

Had a feeling they'll get some. 

What £20k Black Widow headphones are these. 

For the regular harrods customer a £5k headphone probably isn't special. They'll have shoes / handbags / coats that cost more, not to mention jewellery that costs much much more. Heck, even a celebratory wine for them must cost more.   

Its a  Monster Diamond Tears.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a464059/monsters-gold-plated-gbp20000-headphones-come-to-harrods.html

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #152 of 339
Feb 10, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #154 of 339
I was fortunate to see Bootsy1's post of the Edition 5 pictures and what he thought of these headphones. Has anyone else listened to them? I've contacted Ultrasone asking for an link or some type of review of these headphones based on the no return policy. Not surprising, I haven't received a reply.

I own a pair of  ED8 and I love everything about them. The most  comfortable headphones I've ever worn and pluged into the right source (Hifiman 901) they make my entire body tingle with joy. I would truly love to get a pair but I have no desire to spend that type of money with no reviews out. Hopefully someone has purchased them and can give me some honest feedback.

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #155 of 339
Jan Meier sells them. Maybe you can pm him and ask what he thinks. He is highly respected so I would trust him.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #157 of 339
When I first got a look at the retail price I was in sticker shock and laughing to myself. The way I would like to compare it is like a S.T. Dupont LE Lighter. I can purchases a quality Butane Lighter for $40 or I can pay $3,500 for a S.T. Dupont Lighter. They both produce fire, so why would someone spend the extra money.

Quality, Comfort, Reliability and Customer Service is my answer (granted they're only really nice to you because your willing to spend that type of money on their products). Do I believe these headphones are worth the price (No comment, yet), Will they be sought after in years to come (yes). If I go broke will I be able to sell them and re-coup some of the cost (yes). Will I be able to pass this item on to my kids (yes). Those are the questions I ask myself before I make any purchase.

Due to my profession I have Auditory Hyperesthesia (really sensitive ears, due to a really sensitive brain). I've had a lot of ear buds and headphones throughout my life and I've never had a headphone make me feel like I'm at the Ministry of Sound, until I heard the ED8's. I hope the ED5's are worth the price but if they are not I will be sure to let everyone know.

It's not like I can return them.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #158 of 339
  If anyone is interested in the ED5's you can find them in Europe for $700 to $1,000 dollars less than in the US. I ordered a pair from Meier Audio, when I receive them I will give a full review after about a week of listening to them (Early to mid April).

When I first got a look at the retail price I was in sticker shock and laughing to myself. The way I would like to compare it is like a S.T. Dupont LE Lighter. I can purchases a quality Butane Lighter for $40 or I can pay $3,500 for a S.T. Dupont Lighter. They both produce fire, so why would someone spend the extra money.

Quality, Comfort, Reliability and Customer Service is my answer (granted they're only really nice to you because your willing to spend that type of money on their products). Do I believe these headphones are worth the price (No comment, yet), Will they be sought after in years to come (yes). If I go broke will I be able to sell them and re-coup some of the cost (yes). Will I be able to pass this item on to my kids (yes). Those are the questions I ask myself before I make any purchase.

Due to my profession I have Auditory Hyperesthesia (really sensitive ears, due to a really sensitive brain). I've had a lot of ear buds and headphones throughout my life and I've never had a headphone make me feel like I'm at the Ministry of Sound, until I heard the ED8's. I hope the ED5's are worth the price but if they are not I will be sure to let everyone know.

It's not like I can return them.

Look forward to your impressions Trey36.  I get ya with the Dupont lighter comparison, especially with that famous "ping" when popping the cover open.  LoL the good old days.

Keep us updated.
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #159 of 339
Mortalcoil,

Cheers to you as well :). The good old days, I can remember when I bought my first cell phone 17 years ago. It was a $20 Nokia and it was in destructible. I would have never imagined I would be paying $800 to $1,000 dollars for a smartphone and not even blinking about it (because it's the norm with no contract). I read a few quotes from other post and we all know it's only going to get worse price wise. So I figure I might as well get in early before this stuff gets to ridiculous and everyone just starts walking around with Boom Boxes on their shoulders again.

Enjoy Mate

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #160 of 339
Trey36,

Cheers...Well you went right for the tops on this purchase. Speaking of cellphones,  I recall the "brick" (Motorola) priced at $2000 or more back in the day.

You have definitely taken a "take no prisoners" approach to your foray into this hobby by shooting for the cream of the crop. 

I hope you enjoy the ED5,  and I think I speak for many headfier's when I say we all look forward to your impressions.

Welcome to Head - Fi Trey36 "Sorry about your wallet"
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #161 of 339
+1 here!

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #162 of 339
Wow,

I have to disappoint and let everyone know I will not be giving a review of the ED5's. After my original post explaining where the headphones could be found at a cheaper price. All Hell broke loose, if you look at my post, and then look at Mortalcoil's reply you will notice the first paragraph is gone. I was told I caused some problems by putting this information up and letting ED5 fans know where they can get the headphones a little cheaper. I deleted the paragraph because I was asked to but that wasn't good enough.

If any one has any questions I have no problem telling the entire story, but I'm done with this company. I did 3 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan, I've treated people who've tried to kill me with more respect than this company has shown towards the man who sold me the phones and me by pressing to have my order cancelled even though I already paid for the phones

Sadly I was a fan even though most comments I read, people laughed saying their Iphone Earbuds sounded better than this company's headphones. I still stuck with them after the ED10 disaster willing to shell out money for the ED5's. On the Brightside when I got my refund I made $12 because of the conversion rate (the dollar is tanking). Enjoy and sorry about not being able to give a review.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #163 of 339
So it was Ultrasone who cacelled the deal?

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #164 of 339
Wow they broke with Jan Meier. He does no longer carry any phones from them. Hopefully they don't sue him.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #165 of 339
No, since the item was already paid. From what I was told it was the distributor because they were being pressured by the company with no name.

I've contacted the distribution company expressing my concerns about this issue.

Thanks for recommending the supplier, a genuinely good person with a lot of knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back