New Teac HA-P50-B Portable DAC Amp
Aug 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #61 of 319

Downside is, Mac driver is not available on their website at the moment... Bummer... 
So far I've been testing the HA50p on my MacBook.
I found Teacs app to be a touch temperamental so I'm using Audirvana Plus.

The Rig -

MacBook Pro
Teac HA50p
Beyerdynamic Tesla T70p

Yep that's All Along The Watchtower by David Matthews Band.

Sounds extremely detailed, A touch more bass than I'm used to but it's not overbearing.
Mids are slightly forward but nice and smooth.
Highs are crisp and snappy.

So far I'm very pleased I made the jump
smily_headphones1.gif

Works fine for me :)

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #64 of 319
Hi all. I got my HA-P50 yesterday. The sound is so clear and linear (compared to my old Fiio E10).
When I try to use it as a USB dac for my notebook, I find some problems:

1. It has only a micro USB entry (instead of the mini USB). Is there any adapter from mini to micro USB?
2. (Most series one) The DAC keep charging when I try to restart my notebook, would it affect the battery?

(Sorry for my bad English)

Aug 8, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #65 of 319
I can confirm that the iPod Touch G1 works via digital USB cable with this DAC.
No additional app needed.
Will get some pics up in a while.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #66 of 319
Works smoothly with iPod Touch 4G as well and a modified U2 Classic with a CF card.  Not a RB iPod 5.5, no surprise! LO works with this one, no surprise either..
Also works fine with Win/foobar using the Teac driver or some Wasapi drivers. No problem playing 24/96 files and can even playing 24/192 files when using a down sampling plugin, sounds the same to me anyway..

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #68 of 319
A little off topic. It would seem the prices of e-earphone prices are slightly better than those of Yodobashi and Bic Camera, but do the two latter stores give tax rebates for international customers since I doubt e-earphones do? 

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #69 of 319

HA-50p with iPod Touch 1st Gen.
Toxic Cables "Silver Poison" 30-pin Digital LOD in use.

Its actually a great combo and its nice getting some use out of the 1st Gen Touch again!
As long as the source files are very good quality its brilliant.

And as much as I love my iPc>Solo>Db2>Pb2 combo ( Fully balanced )
This little rig has a lovely small footprint & Its definitely my go to rig when Im going out anywhere. :)

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #70 of 319
Battery life on the i-devices seems to take a significantly hit when taking the digital out into the Teac. I can run the Teac above the 8 hours before charging, actually closer to 10 hours using some relative demanding headphones, so that's all good!

Both my i-units battery life, based on one test of two units, seems to drop by approximately 65-75% vs. their present HO battery life. I have to measure it again to be certain.  Payoff for sound improvement/performance.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #71 of 319
I am waiting for denon Da-10, considering how quick it is to charge an idevice and its great UI i am happy to live its reduced battery life when paired with portable amp/dac combos.

Honestly if one day i can find a portable dac for it which sounds good and apples decides to release an ipod with 128 gb worth if storage i am putting all my DAPs for sale.

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #72 of 319
I am waiting for denon Da-10, considering how quick it is to charge an idevice and its great UI i am happy to live its reduced battery life when paired with portable amp/dac combos.

Honestly if one day i can find a portable dac for it which sounds good and apples decides to release an ipod with 128 gb worth if storage i am putting all my DAPs for sale.

I'm not contemplating or questioning the reduced battery life. I'm just bringing it out as a piece of info. for others to absorb.  

Personally, I truly enjoy the Teac and what it offers to me!

One of my units is a modified iPod Classic with a 128GB CF card, and it works absolutely great with the Teac, when using digital out from my 128GB "Flashpod", despite the reduced battery life :) Sounds stunning too, if that's important...

Aug 15, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #75 of 319
Got the HA-50 as my first portable DAC.  I'm currently pairing with the IE800 and iPod touch 5G.  I'm liking the sound quality so far. My music seems to come out with much more detail.

Software-wise on iOS: 
On my iOS devices it does not need the TEAC app. to stream sound to the DAC and so far I've played music through the default music app. and Spotify with no problems.
If using the TEAC app., note that it will disable itself unless the DAC is connected. I don't use equalizers so I can't really comment on this app's feature.  The app. is able to see your iOS music collection as well as its own (http://www.teac.com/product/hr_audio_player_for_ios/).  To keep it simple, it's just plug and play for iOS devices.  No adapter needed nor app.

Software-wise on PC (Win7):
So far, I have only got sound to it from the TEAC music player app (http://www.teac.com/product/hr_audio_player/). I couldn't figure out to use it as a sit-in sound card for my PC which was disappointing. 
frown.gif
  The app. works like a regular music player, you create the playlist by opening your .mp3, .flac, etc. files.  I don't really see myself using it for the PC anymore since it can only play music files when paired with a Win7 system.

Hardware-wise:
Very solid build. All metal throughout the main body and the side rails are nice since they provide some protection for your cable connections and against accidental touching of the controls.  It is a bit heavier than I'd like, almost as heavy as a 5" hard drive. I was really worried how much damage it would take if I were to drop it since it was so dense.

I really like the knob since my fingers grip it pretty easily and it provides a bit of friction so you don't turn it too easily. When charging with the barrel plug cable from USB 3.0, it does spark on touch. I'm not sure if this is bad or not. It's probably due to the higher amount current available via USB 3.0 vs USB 2.0.  When using USB 2.0, it's doesn't spark, at least that I can notice.

With the sound, I do notice some noise pass the 60-75% volume level and when I my iPhone 5S nearby or strapped to it, I can hear the radio noise generated by cellular signals.

Also as mentioned before, I do notice my iPod's battery drains much more quickly when paired with the DAC then without.  Whenever I connected the lightning cable the iPod would think that the DAC was a power source for a brief second.  The DAC's power status also flickered during that brief second.  Not sure what's going on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back