New Teac HA-P50-B Portable DAC Amp
Apr 28, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 319
u4y2esys.jpg

purymy3y.jpg

Only idevice dac/amp i have seen play at 96hz via the usb-a port. Probably still 16bits imho.

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #19 of 319
  Check out the changes in iOS7 with the CCK, they can play upto 24/192 on external DACs with third party apps.

yep, i know. Here is my hifi-m8 via the USB-B port and CCK.

As mentioned , what is significant is getting 96hz via the USB-A port with a Touch 5G. usually its only 16/41 or 16/48 for idevice dac/amps (iphone/touch).

May 11, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 319
Just picked up mine in Hong Kong today. One of the few sets left. They are literally flying off the shelves.

Pairing this with my Westone W40 and Beyerdynamic Tesla DT1350. From what I can hear right now, it has a nice warm sound, not the dreaded, typical "clinical and cold" Japanese voicing, which is a pleasant "bonus" for me. I was taking a risk at the store as they were not allowing any demos on the HA-P50s. It was not bright/trebly like some of the Japanese amps I have listened to before. Straight forward to operate and works nicely out of the box. I like the build quality. The Japanese attention to details on the aesthetics shows. They take pride in the product.

Downside is, Mac driver is not available on their website at the moment... Bummer... (Or am I missing something here?) Guess I will have to wait for that to come out. But I am happy to get a portable DAC/amp for my iPod. That is the most important thing for me. Desktop DAC duties can be handled by the FiiO E17/09K combo.

Will post photos and more of my thoughts later when I have more time. Now on the road traveling, would be a week or so before I head back home.

May 11, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #22 of 319
Well, looks like Onkyo decided to rebrand the TEAC... http://www.phileweb.com/news/audio/201405/11/14442.html

Instead of the OPA1652, they opted for the MUSES8920, but otherwise, the design looks identical.

I dare say, the color scheme looks a little nicer.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #24 of 319
  Anyone compared the Teac to the Sony or Fostex HP-P1 directly they look like the closest competitors I am in the market for an IOC capable DAC/AMP to go with my iPod classic.

I have had a brief listen with the Sony and it was that signature Sony sound (Smiley face EQ). The mids were somewhat missing and that did not work for me. I didn't have a chance to listen to the Fostex because the reseller did not want to open up a box for demo. Unfortunately. So it was the Teac for me.

If you are in the shops, you might want to also look at the Onkyo, they have re-branded the Teac but they changed some stuff internally and I suspect that means a slightly different (and likely less mids) voicing for the amp.

Happy shopping.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #26 of 319
Finally heard it tonight. It's great --- smooth, warm, and gentle in an elegant manner. I like it way better than the dry and grainy ADL X1 (which basically has the same functionality, just different implementation).

I like the way the Burr-Brown components work in this setup, very gentle and refined sounding.

As an analog-in amplifier, it's a bit colored (the ADL X1 is actually a lot more neutral in this regard), but it's fairly transparent as a DAC/amp (which is what I assume most will be using it as).

The background noise is quieter than a whistle, and the build exudes quality. Low gain is properly low gain --- I can use the volume pot properly with IEMs.

I like this device.

Jun 26, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #29 of 319
I'll definitely be jumping on one of these very soon!
What attracts me is the price and I have always liked Teac gear.
For those that have the fostex and Sony, even the solo, do the teac and onkyo come close in comparison,
Considering they're a darn sight cheaper?

I've never owned anything from Onkyo so I'm not really clued up on the brand, I take it Onkyo and Teac are under joint ownership? A bit like Marantz, Technics, PAnasonic and Philips etc.....

Sorry I really should do some research when I get home lol.

Anyway I hope to get one soon, Just need to choose Onkyo or teac.

Jun 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #30 of 319
The Teac/Onkyo is in the same ballpark as the Sony and Fostex.

The solo is difficult as it changes depending on which amp its paired with.

Then the next step up is the Hifi-M8 and Theorum.

Down the bottom the AK10 and X1(?).

I cant give any more details on the Teac and Onkyo but have listened to them both a couple of times. I will go to the store soon If you like and refresh my impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back