New Teac HA-P50-B Portable DAC Amp
Aug 29, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #91 of 319
  Ok, thanks. So regarding hissing it seems as if my device was defective.
Like I wrote before, now I own the fiio E18. No problem here concerning charging/discharging, so why does Teac Japan say it`s because of android design?
That`s bad because I liked the sound of the Teac more than the analytic character of the fiio.

What kind of Android device is it correctly working with your Fiio E18?
Is it maybe a Samsung S3 or a Note?

Aug 29, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #93 of 319
Do these Android devices work with the Teac HA-P50
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/5145#post_10762672

via "A", iPod/iPhone/iPad/Android connection port (only 16/44.1 playback):
Android device >> regular USB cable >> "A" > Teac HA-P50 >> headphones
or 
via "B", computer connection port (24/96 playback possible using USB Audio Player PRO app)?
Android device >> USB OTG cable >> "B" > Teac HA-P50 >> headphones or
Android device >> USB OTG adapter + regular USB cable >> "B" > Teac HA-P50 >> headphones 

Thanks

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #94 of 319
I only used the A port, with the stock regular mini usb to usb cable that I found in the Teac box.
It looks like a standard usb cable.
It should work also with an otg cable too connected to the B port, but in that case the Android device will be charging the Teac.

As far as I know the only way to avoid it is using an OTG "Y" cable like this one:

And connecting an external power source, (i.e. a battery pack), as you already know.

I can't understand why the Lg Pad connected to the Fiio doesn't have the charging issue.

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #95 of 319
Got this a few days ago and had the chance to compare my (not burned-in) unit with a Centrance HiFi-M8 using my Ipod Classic 160GB as a source (digital line out to each device's DAC section), and using my ZMF V1's (Fostex T50RP mod). I used high gain on both amps and the medium impedence setting on the HiFi-M8. Tone controls were turned off on the HiFi-M8.

The HiFi-M8 is more neutral overall, and has slightly better resolution and a slightly larger soundstage. Next to the HiFi-M8, the HA-P50's bass feels a little emphasized and bloated, and bleeds into the mids very slightly.

While the HiFi-M8 was indeed better to my ears, the TEAC HA-P50 sounds pretty darn good less than half the price. The TEAC's strong bass response is actually a good thing for me (provides that slam when I listen to certain bass-heavy genres), though I can see how it might very slightly annoy a neutrality-head. The HA-P50 produces a clean, lean, and spacious, sound overall, with a slight bass emphasis.

Hope these impressions help anyone considering this product!

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #97 of 319
  Thanks for your input, the onkyo version that is paid for by ony (Onkyo HA200) is designed for more of the neutral sound. 

Ah, I see! They didn't have it at the audio store in Singapore (E1 Personal Audio) that I tried it at. The owner told me that he auditioned the Onkyo before, and found it very slightly better, but didn't think it was worth the additional 100 SGD that he would have to sell it at. I wonder how the Onkyo would compare to the HiFi-M8 though!

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #98 of 319

Ah, I see! They didn't have it at the audio store in Singapore (E1 Personal Audio) that I tried it at. The owner told me that he auditioned the Onkyo before, and found it very slightly better, but didn't think it was worth the additional 100 SGD that he would have to sell it at. I wonder how the Onkyo would compare to the HiFi-M8 though!

I have tried neither one but the pricing for both seems quiet reasonable considering how not long ago we had DAC alones costing 500 USD. Congrats on your purchase and I hope you enjoy it.

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #99 of 319
Does the HA-P50 charge an iDevice during playback when its optional AC power supply is plugged into the wall?

It should since its MFI-certified, but you never know until you check yourself.

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #101 of 319
What's the SD slot for?
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 17, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #102 of 319
Teac just released the 1.21 firmware update:

October 2014 fix
Fix in firmware version 1.21
o
The noise level has been improved during silence with USB digital connections.
o
When the input switch was changed, the input source was not correctly recognized on rare occasions. This has been fixed.

Oct 17, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #103 of 319
We all need to thank sony for pushing this Hi-res audio thing. Because of them next year we will have so much option to choice from, so many great performing product and so many competition that the ear of highly priced gears should slowly come to an end.

I have Denon DA-10 and boy can it perform. We have come a long way from the time of DD socket 1 D.

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #105 of 319
Im really loving my HA-P50 it just keeps getting better by the month.
Now with Sony, JVC/Kenwood, Teac/Onkyo & Denon all on the portable bandwagon, 
I would love to see Technics step into the portable realm as part of their return!
Maybe even Marantz, Philips, & a few UK brands, - Arcam and Rega being the two I would LOVE to see
step into portable.
But this is another topic for another time and place lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back