New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 1, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #6,481 of 9,484
Butler is outstanding.  A good friend has a TBD5150 in his home theater and it is a very sweet sounding amplifier.

May 1, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #6,482 of 9,484
  IMHO, you haven't had the right gear to evaluate DACs-  The Modi 2 Uber I have been borrowing is fantastic for a few hundos… honestly I've never used such a cheap DAC for several days before (& this was breaking on too, btw)… a surprising quality level indeed… BUT… a better DAC (albeit at 35x the price!) kills it !   Shouldn't it ?  The multitudes of people all over the world buying good stuff can't all be wrong, haha-

I will definitely agree to diminishing returns as you go up the ladder…  & indeed there are many flavors of all kinds of gear, regardless of price….  

To say that any audio gear, let alone DACs don't get "better" after any price point… is almost silly, haha… sorry, there's a thriving high-end community, there's stores, there's shows….  GO OUT & LISTEN, dangit !

OTOH… I am hoping the Yggy is a giant killer !

David

I'm not sure which DAC you're talking about that is 35X the price of the Modi 2 Uber since Yggy is a little over 23X its price in the US.  That said, I think you're looking at it wrong...based upon my experience with Yggy, people should be comparing it to much more expensive DACs and not saying "my $100 DAC can't be much worse than Yggy".  

I put Yggy into my main system on Saturday afternoon and have deliberately listened only a couple of hours each day so that I would be attuned to changes as it comes up to optimal temperature. First, it is amazing how it sounds with just a couple of hours of being plugged in and it is also very interesting to see how the sound is changing and, I'll use the word, maturing.  

Last night, with about 125 hours of "on time", it took a major step towards "digital vinyl".  

I have a revealing/neutral system (Linn Klimax Kontrol preamp, Hegel H30 amp and Vivid Audio B-1 speakers) and, to be honest, up until last night I thought I might have to get a tube preamp into the system because, while not hearing a digital glare or fatigue, the sound was still a little bright for my tastes (I should also mention that my listening room has been acoustically treated so it's not the room), but like I said last night was different.  The brightness was gone and, while I haven't had a turntable in my system for a long time, it certainly didn't sound digital. There is a depth and texture to the sound that I haven't heard before, yet the DAC doesn't paint every song with its own "sound", it lets the details through good or bad, and it is very musical.

Yes, the air guitar came out last night...and it wasn't a pretty sight! 

I've had DACs from PS Audio (DLIII w/Cullen Stage IV Modification, PWD v1), Linn (Akurate DS, Klimax DS/1) and currently an Audio Research Ref DAC in the system that I'm auditioning Yggy in.  As you can see, I've been moving up the price levels looking for "one DAC to rule them all" and I'm coming to the conclusion that Yggy is better than any of these DACs.  Yes, a $2,400 DAC is better some very expensive DACs that I've owned.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether or not it is a giant killer, but I'm confident that the Men of Schitt have a winner here.  For those of you that have doubts and think it is all hype, I suggest that you park your skepticism at the door and, if you can afford this DAC, get your order in 'cause I don't think you'll be disappointed.

May 1, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #6,483 of 9,484
  as you approach perfection, prices rise exponentially.  
average Chevy 0-60 about 10 seconds for $25,000, Chevy corvette 0-60 in 3 seconds for $60,000 , dodge viper 0-60 in 2 seconds for $120,000 and not sure what comes after that.

law of diminishing returns seems to apply to most things

I wonder where my 1965 Volkswagen beetle (was my daily driver street car) goes in this category of 3.5 seconds 0-60, 11 second street car  :wink:

Sometimes there's a "diamond in the rough"......

I certainly hope the  yggy is a top tier performer.  I haven't ever really heard anyone call any solid state dac as "digital vinyl". That type of description is definitely extremely difficult and IMO almost not attainable from my experience. 

IMO my tube dac that uses anything from a 6L6, KT66, KT77, KT88 and I can upgrade to even a larger power tube as a buffer too...... sounds truly like "digital Vinyl" as I even stream Tidal. I have yet to hear lush intimate depths in female vocals from solid state dacs.

I can only assume some may experience incredible sonics with a warm darker headphone using a solid state dac. However for a fast, light on the bass HD800 your source has to be filled with lush realism that cannot rely on the final transducer aka headphones.

Having a warm amp with warm dac with warm/dark headphones will give a totally different experience using a different combination of components. 

Hopefully my local headphone shop will get a yggy soon for me to analyse :)

May 1, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #6,484 of 9,484
  I've also found that I much prefer my tube buffered DAC with several different "holy grail" 6DJ8 family tubes to any SS dac's I've heard. There is a level of realism, atmosphere and sonic layering that CCa tubes somehow manage to flesh out that just isn't existing with the SS dac's I've heard. I do believe that R2R's could reduce digital glare, without introducing the "dirtyness" of tubes. Waiting to hear for myself, and enjoying CCa's and pinched waist tubes for now.

Currently my favourite tube buffer is a tung sol 6L6G.  It provides enough detail but as you describe "sonic layering" is unbelievable. I'm not a hyper detail person so the realism is much more important to me for string/vocals.

I'm so curious how well note decay is with a yggy. That is my benchmark...with my 2 channel speakers.

May 1, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #6,485 of 9,484
  I'm not sure which DAC you're talking about that is 35X the price of the Modi 2 Uber since Yggy is a little over 23X its price in the US.  That said, I think you're looking at it wrong...based upon my experience with Yggy, people should be comparing it to much more expensive DACs and not saying "my $100 DAC can't be much worse than Yggy".  

I put Yggy into my main system on Saturday afternoon and have deliberately listened only a couple of hours each day so that I would be attuned to changes as it comes up to optimal temperature. First, it is amazing how it sounds with just a couple of hours of being plugged in and it is also very interesting to see how the sound is changing and, I'll use the word, maturing.  

Last night, with about 125 hours of "on time", it took a major step towards "digital vinyl".  

I have a revealing/neutral system (Linn Klimax Kontrol preamp, Hegel H30 amp and Vivid Audio B-1 speakers) and, to be honest, up until last night I thought I might have to get a tube preamp into the system because, while not hearing a digital glare or fatigue, the sound was still a little bright for my tastes (I should also mention that my listening room has been acoustically treated so it's not the room), but like I said last night was different.  The brightness was gone and, while I haven't had a turntable in my system for a long time, it certainly didn't sound digital. There is a depth and texture to the sound that I haven't heard before, yet the DAC doesn't paint every song with its own "sound", it lets the details through good or bad, and it is very musical.

Yes, the air guitar came out last night...and it wasn't a pretty sight! 

I've had DACs from PS Audio (DLIII w/Cullen Stage IV Modification, PWD v1), Linn (Akurate DS, Klimax DS/1) and currently an Audio Research Ref DAC in the system that I'm auditioning Yggy in.  As you can see, I've been moving up the price levels looking for "one DAC to rule them all" and I'm coming to the conclusion that Yggy is better than any of these DACs.  Yes, a $2,400 DAC is better some very expensive DACs that I've owned.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether or not it is a giant killer, but I'm confident that the Men of Schitt have a winner here.  For those of you that have doubts and think it is all hype, I suggest that you park your skepticism at the door and, if you can afford this DAC, get your order in 'cause I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I was referring to the MSB Analog DAC w/o Power Base...

The reason I mentioned the Modi 2 Uber, as stated previously, is because that's all I had at that time-

Looks like you have a great system !  I've heard the Vivid G2 for several hours w/ all top VTL tube gear… really, really impressive !  Haven't heard the AR Ref.. it must be killer-   Can't wait to hear from you how it compares to Yggy !

I too have been on a DAC hunt, albeit at a much higher price point than the Yggy, like yourself…  Started many years ago w/ Theta Gen III + Data...

Can't wait for more hours to accumulate !!

David

May 1, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #6,486 of 9,484
  Currently my favourite tube buffer is a tung sol 6L6G.  It provides enough detail but as you describe "sonic layering" is unbelievable. I'm not a hyper detail person so the realism is much more important to me for string/vocals.

I'm so curious how well note decay is with a yggy. That is my benchmark...with my 2 channel speakers.

Have you tried a triode wired Tungsol 6V6GT reissue? I prefer that a NOS 45.

Note decay on my Yggy (with around 80 hours) is hard to "hear". Not so much as a separate identity, but as a feeling of organic wholeness.   

May 1, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #6,487 of 9,484
813 115v showed up today. It replaced my Gungnir. My near field system as it stands now:

Mac Mini/Pure Music (176.4 Upsampled AIFF from attached 1T WD USB drive)> Wyrd> Yggy> Rag Gain 2> KEF LS50/JL Audio e110 sub. Straight Wire USB cables/ Pyst Balanced cables from Schiit. Cables to speakers/sub DIY OFC with equivalent copper spades/silver locking connectors. Also have LCD-X with balanced WyWire cables but haven't listened to it yet today with new setup.

I spent an hour last night listening to the Gungnir play Andreas Vollenweider's AIR using a few tracks over and over to acclimatize myself to the SQ, noting the volume setting and dB level with my sound meter.

Within about 10 SECONDS of lighting off the new system today at the same volume dial setting, I confirmed a HUGE difference in SQ:

Bass was ENORMOUS like nothing I have ever heard (is this the fabled Moffat bass?), soundstage was wider, volume was significantly louder requiring the vol pot to be turned down about 1.5 O'Clocks to match last night's sound meter level, and everything just felt lusher.

The most amazing thing though is when I close my eyes, everything literally just feels "right" and perfectly balanced. I know that's a piss poor way to describe it, but it is a real feeling that's hard for me to explain. Almost like there was a layer of extremely fine grit or tension that has been removed.

In any event, I am one TOTALLY happy camper- and supposedly it is going to only get better!!!!!!!

Gentlemen, open those wallets!! Another home run by Schiit in my books- I'm DONE buying!!!!!!!!!!

DSNORD

May 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #6,488 of 9,484
^Try removing the Wyrd and see if you notice any difference, many have said that the Iggy does not need it and that its usb implementation is actually better than the Wyrd itself.

May 1, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #6,489 of 9,484
I'm leaving it in for now to be able to make better comparisons as the ONLY change to the previous Gungnir system as Yggy matures over the next 2 weeks. Once I'm familiar with the house sound, I'll pull it to see what happens.

DSNORD

May 1, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #6,490 of 9,484
If anyone is looking to sell the Yggy, PM me, my Vega sold in 12 hours, was expecting it might take a few weeks! And I see now on Schiit's website that the expected shipping date is not until the end of June now, guess I planned that poorly
cool.gif

May 1, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #6,491 of 9,484
If anyone is looking to sell the Yggy, PM me, my Vega sold in 12 hours, was expecting it might take a few weeks! And I see now on Schiit's website that the expected shipping date is not until the end of June now, guess I planned that poorly :cool:

Bummer sorry to hear that. I had to return my Yggdrasil, but Schiit Audio is making everything alright. I figured your Vega would sell, within a few weeks, but it selling within 12 hours is impressive. Perhaps you could het a modi 2 uber dac, to hold you over, till your Yggdrasil finally arrives.

May 1, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #6,493 of 9,484
Bummer sorry to hear that. I had to return my Yggdrasil, but Schiit Audio is making everything alright. I figured your Vega would sell, within a few weeks, but it selling within 12 hours is impressive. Perhaps you could het a modi 2 uber dac, to hold you over, till your Yggdrasil finally arrives.

what happened??

May 1, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #6,495 of 9,484

Damn sorry to hear something was actually wrong with it. I was primarily going to run it through usb when I got it, since I have everything ripped to FLAC, but will now definitely check every input with my CD transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back