New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 1, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #6,511 of 9,484

My compliments to Mr. Moffat.

And BTW, would Mike care to comment on the question of balanced outs vs. RCA outs?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I certainly would like to know if balanced is the only way to get the best from Yggy. I can't see buying any amp without balanced inputs if the balanced Yggy output is superior.

May 1, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #6,512 of 9,484
SPDIF IMHO  Either BNC (slightly preferred) or Coax
I understand Mike is talking about CD transport-> Yggy connections? I suppose if I am using USB then USB is preferred over using a third party USB-Spdif converter?

May 1, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #6,513 of 9,484

I am surprised by the number of people who went straight for the kill with the Yggdrasil, coming off very entry level DACs/gear. I would have thought the main audience for this was going to be off the Gungnir, PWD2, Master 7, NAD M51, Metrum Octave tiers mostly. That's for me around the entry level to "finer wines". Both for the audience experience with this kind of gear, as well as the rest of the system...

Same,

Ragnarok was a bit of a shock for me. Not at all what I expected. I bought it because it fit a niche for me and solved some problems. I expected minor improvements and received major ones.

I'm very happy with my NAD M51; but my experience with the Ragnarok means I have to try the Yggy. If Ragnarok wasn't so damn good, I wouldn't have bothered.

I will be very pleased and $2300 richer if Yggy doesn't beat the NAD. I just feel an obligation to compare them.

I'm in the same boat. The Ragnarok has exceeded my expectations and I'm curious to hear what Schiit have managed to deliver in the Yggy.

I've consciously avoided threads on the Yggy. There's a lot of noise about this component and it'll be interesting to see how the hype simmers down over time. Happy to slum it with the M51 for now.

May 1, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #6,514 of 9,484
  I've also found that I much prefer my tube buffered DAC with several different "holy grail" 6DJ8 family tubes to any SS dac's I've heard. There is a level of realism, atmosphere and sonic layering that CCa tubes somehow manage to flesh out that just isn't existing with the SS dac's I've heard. I do believe that R2R's could reduce digital glare, without introducing the "dirtyness" of tubes. Waiting to hear for myself, and enjoying CCa's and pinched waist tubes for now.

I read generalizations that are made about SS and tube gear all the time, and on balance, those generalizations are generally reasonably accurate. But they are not absolutes. I say this as a someone who has excellent tube gear for his amplification chain, but also quite a bit of experience with some very well designed SS gear. Let me expand on that a bit: Tim de Paravincini, one of the best designers in the audio industry, says that he can can design an amplification component, either way, SS or tube, and they will sound identical. This is because he understands the functions that are required to design and build a very good sounding piece of gear, and he is sophisticated enough to know that there is ALWAYS more than one way to achieve a function. An example, Tim makes a some very good phono stages, both tube and SS. I own his EAR 324, an SS design and can personally attest that if I did not tell you that  it was not a tube phono pre, there would be no way for you to know. It has all of the wonderful tube qualities you mention above, that my Conrad-Johnson gear has, and yet is solid state. Same was true for the SS amp I bought from Wino, the amazing Conrad-Johnson Premier 350. Conversely, the best tube gear these days has many of the qualities associated with SS: transparency, low noise, resolution, detail and bass performance. 

If you get a chance some time, go to an audio show and listen to TAD, Technical Brain, Burmester, MBL, or DarTZeel for an extended while. All of these brands have all of the wonderful qualities you associate with tubes, and more. 

May 1, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #6,519 of 9,484
  If anyone is looking to sell the Yggy, PM me, my Vega sold in 12 hours, was expecting it might take a few weeks! And I see now on Schiit's website that the expected shipping date is not until the end of June now, guess I planned that poorly
cool.gif

Stay tuned. 

My Yggdrasil will be here on Monday.  I placed an order for the TotalDAC D1-Dual.  One will stay, one will go.  I'm very doubtful the Yggdrasil will hang with the TotalDAC, I guess because I don't believe in all this magic. 

The reason I waited to order the TotalDAC is because I wanted to give the Yggdrasil it's proper stabilizing time.  I will also give the TotalDAC a few days, so the Yggdrasil will have at least a two week lead.   

May 2, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #6,525 of 9,484

Stay tuned. 

My Yggdrasil will be here on Monday.  I placed an order for the TotalDAC D1-Dual.  One will stay, one will go.  I'm very doubtful the Yggdrasil will hang with the TotalDAC, I guess because I don't believe in all this magic. 

Thanks for taking one for the team! Looking forward to the results of your comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back