New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil
May 1, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #6,468 of 9,484
With a dac such as the Yggy, words like "good" and "great" aren't enough. Because a "great Yggy" - hype - placebo = Modi that is 2k over its price. I don't know, I just don't trust expensive dacs anymore lol. I doubt that dacs get "better" after the a certain price point, they just get different.

Pleasae read the Yggy DAC FAQ. It addresses all of your concerns.

May 1, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #6,469 of 9,484
Friends- I've been reading here for quite some time, but since I am not a headphone guy I stayed out of commenting since I am unfamiliar with all of the cans and amps, and many of the DAC's, that dominate the discussion here. I have owned a Gungnir for a couple of years, I've known about Yggdrasil during that time, and have read with interest Baldr's tech peeks, as well as the early review's by purrin and others. So I did what any sane Schiithead would do- I ordered an Yggy the day they went on sale!

I picked it up from FedEx Office last night, and tried to drive within the law while hurrying home to set it up. Powered down my Gungnir and disconnected the cables from the back, popped Yggy on the shelf and plugged all the cables back into a still cold World Tree. Hit the inconveniently located power switch, dropped a CD into my Oppo BDP-93 (Wireworld coax cable connects to Yggy) and hit the "play" button.

I can honestly say it took me about 20 seconds to begin to hear the differences, and the superiority of Yggdrasil. Without getting into the standard audiophile glossary I will offer this: back in the '80's I sold audio gear and got some good ear training; now I play congas in a band with friends and get to hear real voices and musical instruments live on a regular basis. What became immediately apparent, cold out of the box, is that Yggy is an order of magnitude or two closer to reproducing the natural sound of human voices and musical instruments than my Gungnir. More than anything else this is what got me last night, and now with power on for a mere 10 hours hours I hear it again this morning. It's all about the music.

I know form my experience with Gungnir that it will take a couple of weeks easily for the Yggdrasil to stabilize and settle into the promised glory, and as of this writing I cannot imagine what I will be hearing come next week. Listening to the changes will be fascinating, but I am already more than pleased with Yggy.

fyi- since someone will eventually ask:

Oppo BDP-93 > Yggy > Parasound P3 preamp > Sub-Woofer line-level x-over via effects loop > P3 > Parasound Halo A 21 amp > studio monitors. My speakers are custom built monitors (stand mounted) with matched subwoofers. I am using xlr's out from the Yggy > P3, and from the P3 > A 21. All cables are from Wireworld, and I use a PS Audio P5 Power Plant for clean electricity. 

May 1, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #6,470 of 9,484
  With a dac such as the Yggy, words like "good" and "great" aren't enough. Because a "great Yggy" - hype - placebo = Modi that is 2k over its price. I don't know, I just don't trust expensive dacs anymore lol. I doubt that dacs get "better" after the a certain price point, they just get different.

as you approach perfection, prices rise exponentially.  
average Chevy 0-60 about 10 seconds for $25,000, Chevy corvette 0-60 in 3 seconds for $60,000 , dodge viper 0-60 in 2 seconds for $120,000 and not sure what comes after that.

law of diminishing returns seems to apply to most things

May 1, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #6,471 of 9,484

IMHO, you haven't had the right gear to evaluate DACs-  The Modi 2 Uber I have been borrowing is fantastic for a few hundos… honestly I've never used such a cheap DAC for several days before (& this was breaking on too, btw)… a surprising quality level indeed… BUT… a better DAC (albeit at 35x the price!) kills it !   Shouldn't it ?  The multitudes of people all over the world buying good stuff can't all be wrong, haha-

I will definitely agree to diminishing returns as you go up the ladder…  & indeed there are many flavors of all kinds of gear, regardless of price….  

To say that any audio gear, let alone DACs don't get "better" after any price point… is almost silly, haha… sorry, there's a thriving high-end community, there's stores, there's shows….  GO OUT & LISTEN, dangit !

OTOH… I am hoping the Yggy is a giant killer !

David

May 1, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #6,472 of 9,484
IMHO, you haven't had the right gear to evaluate DACs-  The Modi 2 Uber I have been borrowing is fantastic for a few hundos… honestly I've never used such a cheap DAC for several days before (& this was breaking on too, btw)… a surprising quality level indeed… BUT… a better DAC (albeit at 35x the price!) kills it !   Shouldn't it ?  The multitudes of people all over the world buying good stuff can't all be wrong, haha-

I will definitely agree to diminishing returns as you go up the ladder…  & indeed there are many flavors of all kinds of gear, regardless of price….  

To say that any audio gear, let alone DACs don't get "better" after any price point… is almost silly, haha… sorry, there's a thriving high-end community, there's stores, there's shows….  GO OUT & LISTEN, dangit !

OTOH… I am hoping the Yggy is a giant killer !

Just want to note this is a logical fallacy: Argumentum ad populum.

Easiest illutration of this fallacy is many people believe the beats to be the best headphones you can buy at $300 and the beats are the most popular headphones in the world.

No need to discuss, just wanted to point it out. your follow up will be an appeal to authority.

Edit: this is not saying anything abt the performance of the yggy/rag. just sayin that statments abt their performance best be left to those who have actually heard it.

May 1, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #6,473 of 9,484

Easiest illutration of this fallacy is many people believe the beats to be the best headphones you can buy at $300 and the beats are the most popular headphones in the world.

No need to discuss, just wanted to point it out. your follow up will be an appeal to authority.

Edit: this is not saying anything abt the performance of the yggy/rag. just sayin that statments abt their performance best be left to those who have actually heard it.

But - Purrin said so! Purrin is always right!! 
darthsmile.gif

May 1, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #6,474 of 9,484

Thanks for the link money !  Great point… also your point about the Beats headphones… I've not heard them, though I know some who have… I understand they're very bass predominant...

Also agree that speculation vs actually hearing gear is goofy-

David

May 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #6,475 of 9,484

while it doesnt PROVE that they are not wrong, it is still a good indicator...

regarding the beats... well it is very good at something(looking good
wink.gif
), which is why they are so popular. The popularity does indicate something about it that is pretty nice.

Popularity definitely wouldn't be my one and only reason for purchasing something, but it certainly would grab my attention at least, and then I'd do additional research to see if its the right fit.

May 1, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #6,477 of 9,484
I admit, I've never owned Beats headphones. However I did try some out multiple times at the store and they were pretty terrible. Though I'm comparing with HD800s (my only HP at the time) and the only headphones I've owned in $300 tier were DT-880s. Also, I'm not exactly sure which model of Beats I've tried out.

Also, maybe I was affected by confirmation bias, just in the opposite way lol

May 1, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #6,478 of 9,484
  Hmmmm not sure if it's a coincidence  but there's a Bob selling a vega on Canuck audio..... dumping it for a tube dac..

If the yggy is remotely close in giving incredible organic realism like my tube dac I'll seriously consider buying one for 2800 cdn (not including tax and shipping). So far my 2 channel presents live true to life vocal in my livingroom with tube dac and solid state amp.

I'm already considering on getting another custom made tube dac locally for my Burson Virtuoso and save about $1800cdn (cost of yggy would be about 3200 CDN to my door LOL!!). 

Hopefully my local headphone shop will be carrying the yggy for me to audition. They are already selling the vega for $4199 and it's a perfect opportunity to do a/b comparison. 

I've also found that I much prefer my tube buffered DAC with several different "holy grail" 6DJ8 family tubes to any SS dac's I've heard. There is a level of realism, atmosphere and sonic layering that CCa tubes somehow manage to flesh out that just isn't existing with the SS dac's I've heard. I do believe that R2R's could reduce digital glare, without introducing the "dirtyness" of tubes. Waiting to hear for myself, and enjoying CCa's and pinched waist tubes for now.

May 1, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #6,479 of 9,484
My Yggy is to arrive Saturday. The Yggy is supposed to be a very high end dac and I would like an extremely good amp. I read the Ragnarok is a super amp from some, others say there is better for speakers at least. I am not sure this is welcome in this forum, but is there anything up to $7000 for an integrated that is anyone would recommend? I have considered a Hegel 160, an Arcam A49, a few pure class A amps, and even a used Accuphase e-600, but the reports were the Accuphase did not have a great headphone section. Anyone have any thoughts?

If you can do with just pure amps, I hear these are some sort of bee knees amps
http://www.butleraudio.com/home.php
Using output tubes in a proprietary circuit tuned to only produce 2nd & generally even harmonics (the pleasing sounding kind) ... a steal for the price too. I did not test em though, really hard to find one of those anywhere. Btw, any tips appreciated.
From what I personally heard, the hypex nc400 had the cleanest & clearest sound ever.
http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/ncore/1.html

If you dont want to experiment, any of the headfi darlings like eddie current, woo, cavalli wont dissapoint.

May 1, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #6,480 of 9,484
average Chevy 0-60 about 10 seconds for $25,000, Chevy corvette 0-60 in 3 seconds for $60,000 , dodge viper 0-60 in 2 seconds for $120,000 and not sure what comes after that.  
law of diminishing returns seems to apply to most things

Then there's the $12k Suzuki Hayabusa that can outperform a Bugatti.

I'm really hoping that the Yggy is similar. Come at the problem from a different tact and kick some butt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back