NEW! Pioneer SE-MJ591 "Audiophile" headphones unboxing & impressions to come.
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #121 of 188
Aug 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #123 of 188
Not really sure what's up with this headphone.

I've read three reviews that rave about it and three others that make it out to be total rubbish.

confused_face_2.gif

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #124 of 188
Quote:
Not really sure what's up with this headphone.

I've owned it for a while and I'm still on the fence with this one.  It's one strange earfellow.

Aug 19, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #126 of 188
Quote:

I've owned it for a while and I'm still on the fence with this one.  It's one strange earfellow.

Would you say that it is a beast that sounds OK one day and lousy the next? Or is it a case of it doing some things right and other things wrong simultaneously?

Or is it just a totally different sound that is hard to adjust to?

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #127 of 188
Quote:
Would you say that it is a beast that sounds OK one day and lousy the next?

Or is it a case of it doing some things right and other things wrong simultaneously?

Or is it just a totally different sound that is hard to adjust to?

Sorry for the delay, I wanted to give it another brief audition before I got back to you on this.

I would have to say that it's mainly a combination of your second and third questions, in roughly equal measure.  My main issue with the unit is that it has a very narrow (almost compressed-sounding) frequency range when used out-of-the-box. 

As a result it sounds bloody fantastic for certain genres (musicals, stage productions, audiobooks, etc.).  But for a lot of the music I listen to, it requires quite a bit of coaxing and foreplay to get into the mood for me.

Sure, I can amp it and take a v-shaped EQ setting to it.  And when I do that, I can get it to sound about as good as anything else in it's class and price range.  But TBH, I shouldn't have to work that hard.  Like any other pair of cans, its an audio tool.  It is meant to serve me, not I it.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #128 of 188
Thank you for taking the time to expound a bit more on the sound. I get the feeling that the Pioneer being genre sensitive is the reason that Sam Tellig in Stereophile liked them. He seems to listen to strictly classical/chamber music. I had similar issues with the Beyer DT1350 (the narrow-band FR you speak of).

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #129 of 188
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to expound a bit more on the sound. I get the feeling that the Pioneer being genre sensitive is the reason that Sam Tellig in Stereophile liked them. He seems to listen to strictly classical/chamber music. I had similar issues with the Beyer DT1350 (the narrow-band FR you speak of).

You're welcome of course.  You're probably right on that Sam Tellig call.  Though, I'm still bewildered as to why Tom Andry liked them so much.  My current working theory is this:

Someone at Pioneer headquarters in Japan decided that they wanted to get back into the hi-fi space after a number of years.  And in typical fashion, they decided that audiophiles listen primarily to classical and jazz.  And so they created two new models geared toward classical/jazz sound signatures, these being the SE-MJ591 and the SE-A1000

While they are right to a certain extent, they apparently didn't notice that today's audiophile market has evolved to account for a wide variety of genres.  Younger audiophiles looking to offload their disposable income are increasingly devotees of rock and even electronic music.  And since the SE-MJ591 seems to have been tuned for a limited number of genres, reviews can be very hit or miss depending on the tastes of the reviewer.

Interestingly enough, the SE-A1000 seems to be far more versatile than the SE-MJ591.  While I would never recommend it to those that listen primarily to hip hop or electronic music, I would easily recommend it to devotees of rock.  It seems to have a bit of that Grado sound to it.  And ergonomically speaking, it is ridiculously comfortable.  With a street price of only $50 (down from an MSRP of $145), I believe it to be a sleeper, just waiting to be "discovered" so to speak.

For the record, the two Pioneer models above seem to be the only ones that are limited to such an extent.  As you can tell from my inventory, I have a number of other Pioneer models as well.  And while some have been geared to certain markets (SE-MJ751 > Bassheads), they all tend to be quite versatile genre-wise.

I've never heard the DT1350 personally, but I understand that it is likewise a rather polarizing set of cans.  I believe there was one at the L.A. Head-Fi meet this past wekend, but I didn't get a chance to audition it.  There was just too much to do during the course of a single day. 
smile.gif

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #131 of 188
blink.gif
 Unopened?  Break out the trusty blade (actually you might need the trusty scissors for this one) and check it out.  Something Aerosmith (preferably live) will do just fine.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #132 of 188
:blink:  Unopened?  Break out the trusty blade (actually you might need the trusty scissors for this one) and check it out.  Something Aerosmith (preferably live) will do just fine.

Thanks for the tip! Which Aerosmith Live album is best sounding?

Aug 20, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #133 of 188
Quote:

You're welcome of course.  You're probably right on that Sam Tellig call.  Though, I'm still bewildered as to why Tom Andry liked them so much.  My current working theory is this:

Someone at Pioneer headquarters in Japan decided that they wanted to get back into the hi-fi space after a number of years.  And in typical fashion, they decided that audiophiles listen primarily to classical and jazz.  And so they created two new models geared toward classical/jazz sound signatures, these being the SE-MJ591 and the SE-A1000

While they are right to a certain extent, they apparently didn't notice that today's audiophile market has evolved to account for a wide variety of genres.  Younger audiophiles looking to offload their disposable income are increasingly devotees of rock and even electronic music.  And since the SE-MJ591 seems to have been tuned for a limited number of genres, reviews can be very hit or miss depending on the tastes of the reviewer.

Interestingly enough, the SE-A1000 seems to be far more versatile than the SE-MJ591.  While I would never recommend it to those that listen primarily to hip hop or electronic music, I would easily recommend it to devotees of rock.  It seems to have a bit of that Grado sound to it.  And ergonomically speaking, it is ridiculously comfortable.  With a street price of only $50 (down from an MSRP of $145), I believe it to be a sleeper, just waiting to be "discovered" so to speak.

For the record, the two Pioneer models above seem to be the only ones that are limited to such an extent.  As you can tell from my inventory, I have a number of other Pioneer models as well.  And while some have been geared to certain markets (SE-MJ751 > Bassheads), they all tend to be quite versatile genre-wise.

I've never heard the DT1350 personally, but I understand that it is likewise a rather polarizing set of cans.  I believe there was one at the L.A. Head-Fi meet this past wekend, but I didn't get a chance to audition it.  There was just too much to do during the course of a single day. 
smile.gif

Thanks again for the heads-up and clarification on the SE-A1000. This one is new to me. Sounds worth a try. 

Actually, I probably NEED something balanced after buying and reboxing the awful Monster Inspiration's this afternoon.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #134 of 188
Sorry guys, been stuck in a series of meetings at work...

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! Which Aerosmith Live album is best sounding?

My Aerosmith collection pales in comparison to others, but there's a live version of Sweet Emotion from Aerosmith Gold that I rather like.  Actually, the non-live version of Sweet Emotion sounds pretty good too. 
smile.gif

BTW, though it doesn't need it, you're DEFINITELY going to want to use the Black Cube here.

Quote:
Thanks again for the heads-up and clarification on the SE-A1000. This one is new to me. Sounds worth a try. 

Actually, I probably NEED something balanced after buying and reboxing the awful Monster Inspiration's this afternoon.

Ooh, ouch! 
blink.gif
  Just kidding!  In all fairness, I haven't heard them yet so I can't say anything about them either way.  What do you think of them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back