NEW! Pioneer SE-MJ591 "Audiophile" headphones unboxing & impressions to come.
Aug 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #106 of 188
I picked these up based on the new rave review in Stereophile. I'm listening to these now fresh out of the box plugged straight into my iPhone. I've been on a kind of a little quest to find something good for mobile use out of my iPhone. Definitely mid-centric, but that's okay. Craftsmanship and SQ are top notch considering my application. I wouldn't use this on my home rig really, but for on the go with no amp I'd rate it 4.5 stars. There's good detail without highlighting the deficiencies in my source which is quite a feat. Headband needs to be stretched out for sure for comfort. I'm glad to have these.

I've heard a lot of cans out of the iPhone, and this one is my favorite for now. My bet is that I'm going to favor the Fidelio L1 for this application when it gets here tomorrow, with it being open and having more bass. I will keep these regardless because of the nice compact design.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #108 of 188
Quote:
I picked these up based on the new rave review in Stereophile. I'm listening to these now fresh out of the box plugged straight into my iPhone. I've been on a kind of a little quest to find something good for mobile use out of my iPhone. Definitely mid-centric, but that's okay. Craftsmanship and SQ are top notch considering my application. I wouldn't use this on my home rig really, but for on the go with no amp I'd rate it 4.5 stars. There's good detail without highlighting the deficiencies in my source which is quite a feat. Headband needs to be stretched out for sure for comfort. I'm glad to have these.

I've heard a lot of cans out of the iPhone, and this one is my favorite for now. My bet is that I'm going to favor the Fidelio L1 for this application when it gets here tomorrow, with it being open and having more bass. I will keep these regardless because of the nice compact design.

I was surprised that Stereophile gave it such a strong review.  I haven't tried the L1, but you say the 591 is better?

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #109 of 188
Quote:

Nice, looking forward to hear impressions of L1 as it's a headphone that is still quite interesting to me and since you got experience with expensier headphones it gives a better insight of what might be lacking in it.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #110 of 188
Quote:

I was surprised that Stereophile gave it such a strong review.  I haven't tried the L1, but you say the 591 is better?

Awaiting L1 delivery today...............I do expect the L1 to be in a better class, although it is a more full sized headphone.
Quote:

Nice, looking forward to hear impressions of L1 as it's a headphone that is still quite interesting to me and since you got experience with expensier headphones it gives a better insight of what might be lacking in it.

Don't know if you've seen this, but I would defer to MF's impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591852/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-nearing-30/1350#post_8154344

Also Tyll's review is terrific:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/handsome-philips-fidelio-l1

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #111 of 188
Quote:

Awaiting L1 delivery today...............I do expect the L1 to be in a better class, although it is a more full sized headphone.

Don't know if you've seen this, but I would defer to MF's impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/591852/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-nearing-30/1350#post_8154344

Also Tyll's review is terrific:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/handsome-philips-fidelio-l1

Yea I've read those, it's just I read mixed reviews, especially 2-3 responses I've seen having problems with ~2kHz area, I'm guessing excessive resonance and shoutiness going on with certain female vocals especially. Well this is my main concern with them. Others didn't have that problem though so perhaps may be a quality control issue, large variety between different samples perhaps. I'm very allergic to midrange ringing these days especially after having used Q40 which I love for lack of resonance in the WHOLE mid & highrange, it's the first headphone besides M50 perhaps (which didn't fit my taste) that had non-audible low resonance, even the bass despite boosted behaves very well.

Aug 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #112 of 188
Quote:

I'm listening to the L1's now. Definitely the best listening experience from my iPhone. Completely different sound signatures of course. 591's, do have great mids, less emphasized bass. I am more likely to still grab the Pioneers for everday mobile use because of the compact design. L1's would be for longer road trips and tooling around the house. Both respond well to amplification.

As said by others, the L1 easily a top contender for best mid-fi headphone. Both the L1 and 591 do a terrific job with piano presentation. Great natural tones also. The 591 has a smaller soundstage due to the compact design.

Quote:

Yea I've read those, it's just I read mixed reviews, especially 2-3 responses I've seen having problems with ~2kHz area, I'm guessing excessive resonance and shoutiness going on with certain female vocals especially. Well this is my main concern with them. Others didn't have that problem though so perhaps may be a quality control issue, large variety between different samples perhaps. I'm very allergic to midrange ringing these days especially after having used Q40 which I love for lack of resonance in the WHOLE mid & highrange, it's the first headphone besides M50 perhaps (which didn't fit my taste) that had non-audible low resonance, even the bass despite boosted behaves very well.

I'm probably not the best reference for that issue, but I will say this area in general seems smoother than the D7100 for me. The track with the soprano that irritated me with 7100 is more enjoyable with the L1.

Aug 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #113 of 188
Are you're ok with the highs on L1? Do you concider it on a quite neutral level or a bit recessed? That would be my 2nd concern if it's maybe too veiled but as I prefer slightly on the warm side of neutral (well much rather than the other way round) I don't think this should be a big issue.

And hmm we should continue the L1 discussion in the appropriate thread. :)

Aug 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #114 of 188
Quote:
I picked these up based on the new rave review in Stereophile. 

Glad you didn't pick them up based on this one...they hated them 
eek.gif

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/08/08/review-pioneer-se-mj591-headphone

I was considering them but now I'm definitely not so sure...

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #116 of 188
Quote:
S&V really didn't like the 591, but Stereophile loved it. Hahahaha..... Just shows you can't buy headphones based on any reviews. You have to try, not hear it for yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

How do you try it and not hear it?

Aug 11, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #117 of 188
Quote:

Glad you didn't pick them up based on this one...they hated them 
eek.gif

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2012/08/08/review-pioneer-se-mj591-headphone

I was considering them but now I'm definitely not so sure...

The 591's were the first decent phones that I've heard in an i-type application. It was kind of like the Eddie Murphy "Ritz Cracker" phenomenon for me at first.

If you don't mind a mids dominated signature, these will work well. I think the mids do sound natural. The bass is present, but not readily audible. The Stereophile reviewer also loved his AT-W3000ANV, which I can vouch, is not your typical "run-of-the-mill" signature.

I think it's a bad idea to A/B these. When your brain adapts to these phones, they do sound good. A/B'd with the L1, they sound "abby-normal." The same thing happened when I tried to A/B the W3000ANV with the TH900.

Their compact design makes them a better choice for mobile use over the L1, but at home I'll use the L1. I'll also be testing the M-80 and B&W P5 for this same application.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #118 of 188
Quote:

It's not easy, and it takes a great deal of skill and experience to pull it off, but you learn how eventually. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #119 of 188

Hearing it is an in-store demo. Trying it is using it in your own environment. Can be a totally different experience. :)

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #120 of 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you don't mind a mids dominated signature, these will work well. I think the mids do sound natural. The bass is present, but not readily audible. 

Maybe their signature is like that of the Shure SRH1440. Very detailed midrange and subtle, non-overpresent bass.

I guess the big question is are they worth 300 bucks..

Quote:
Hearing it is an in-store demo. Trying it is using it in your own environment. Can be a totally different experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

True. But you gotta buy 'em first. Sometimes returning them is not an option from the dealers who sell them.

I suppose mixed reviews can mean a specific sound that some like and others don't, as opposed to something inherently flawed. But S&V have reviewed others that I own and we seem to be hearing them the same way..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back