New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 18, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #916 of 3,599

Quote:
Y'know, life is funny.  Since I got them (and after a vigorous 100 hours break in), I have been listening to pretty much nothing but the W3000ANV when i am listening with headphones.  Not because I have been forcing myself to, but rather quite the opposite - because I found myself WANTING to.  I know they are not really neutral.  And I find myself not caring at all.  These things make music REALLY enjoyable to listen to.  I also find them superbly comfortable.  And that combination has meant they have been getting, and will continue to get a lot of head time.  Perfect? No. But highly enjoyable. I've never thought of myself as liking the AT sound, although I did like the W1000X.  But I do like the W3000ANV, much better than the W1000X, or any of the other AT cand I have owned, which includes the L3000, W1000 original, ATH-900, and probably several others I have forgotten.

I think the newer AT sound has meant a better treble. How are you finding the bass on them? I feel I want a bit more punch.  

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #917 of 3,599
Just to chime in, it is indeed surprising how well these work for metal. I certainly didn't by them with that genre in mind. But I'm currently listening to Kalisia, and they perform with such great assurance and speed; this is quite a difference when compared to their W5000 predecessor.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #918 of 3,599
Actually on most music I find the bass sufficient.  Not the bassiest cans I have, for sure...in fact, of the cans I have, probably the least bassy. But there is enough bass that I really don't find that I miss it.  If I could have a little more bass weight in the 40-80 Hz range, though, I would take it.

In fact, when I use these with my Pioneer SX-1980, I add 2dB at 50 Hz (the SX-1980 has exceptionally well implemented 4-stage tone controls).  This is a nice tweak.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #919 of 3,599
Listened to these from my Onkyo TX-SR608 yesterday, as I'm bit low on gear at the moment.
biggrin.gif
The bass was actually really nice, not lacking at all. It's really up to the material you're listening to, so it seems to my ears.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #920 of 3,599
Tonight is my first time listening to the W3000ANVs (or any headphones for that matter) in 2 weeks. Not much to say except that I'm happy that I might not buy more headphone equipment for maybe a few years.
wink.gif
Any suggestions for other hobbies?

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #921 of 3,599

Quote:
Tonight is my first time listening to the W3000ANVs (or any headphones for that matter) in 2 weeks. Not much to say except that I'm happy that I might not buy more headphone equipment for maybe a few years.
wink.gif

alright time to grow up... how bout speakers...  : P

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #922 of 3,599

Quote:
wink.gif

No, but are you sure you don't want any more cans, amps or Dac's? Really?  
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #926 of 3,599

Quote:
Order 2 and send one my way then!  
beerchug.gif

No seriously, what's the chance of still finding a green one? As I understand there were only 50 made.

ok, but they are so limited that by now i can only get a hold of their spare limited edition ear pads, u sure you still want them?
tongue.gif

alright, craps aside... (i really got to get back to my accounts rather than crapping here but im just too lazy...)
50 units and about 9 years late to purchase, prob during vanilla L3000. ( i though muppet face is really lucky to get a brown one)
i guess even if you are lucky enough to get a used one, you'll find cheese rolling out of the pads while you listen.
should be much cheaper consider dying your w3k in olive
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #929 of 3,599

Quote:
No seriously, what's the chance of still finding a green one? As I understand there were only 50 made.

Only 50 examples of the green L3000 were produced, and during a very limited time at the end of the L3000 life-cycle when a lot of people who had planned on buying the L3000 already did, and thus couldn't justify buying a second. I think as a result it ended up going entirely to collectors.

I heard one recently changed hands in China for about $15,000 USD. That's not an exaggeration, either.

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #930 of 3,599

Quote:
I heard one recently changed hands in China for about $15,000 USD. That's not an exaggeration, either.

I suddenly developped a slight preference for the brown one. How much did an L3000 actually cost when new?
And were the matching amps very limited as well? Else I might change my signature.  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back