New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 19, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #931 of 3,599

Quote:

I suddenly developped a slight preference for the brown one. How much did an L3000 actually cost when new?
And were the matching amps very limited as well? Else I might change my signature.  :wink:

Believe it or not, they were about the same price as the W3000ANV. Around $1500 in 2004.

I'm sure the matching amps are just as limited, if not moreso, as I've actually never seen one being sold second hand so far.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #933 of 3,599

Quote:
I still feel a bit sad for not buying those on the forum last week. They seemed in such good condition.

Don't feel too bad. I got 'em. 
tongue.gif

I'm trading my other balanced L3000 for a W10VTG and W10LDT plus cash. That just leaves the W2002...

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #935 of 3,599

Quote:
Only 50 examples of the green L3000 were produced, and during a very limited time at the end of the L3000 life-cycle when a lot of people who had planned on buying the L3000 already did, and thus couldn't justify buying a second. I think as a result it ended up going entirely to collectors.

I heard one recently changed hands in China for about $15,000 USD. That's not an exaggeration, either.

in my impression i thought its suppose to be way more expansive than that given recently.
and i think l3k was about 2000+ when its first released (not too sure), i wonder how much
did you get yours for muppet face if you dont mind, ignore it if you want to keep it secret.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #936 of 3,599

Quote:
in my impression i thought its suppose to be way more expansive than that given recently.
and i think l3k was about 2000+ when its first released (not too sure), i wonder how much
did you get yours for muppet face if you dont mind, ignore it if you want to keep it secret.

I should have said, "I recently heard" instead. Don't know when the transaction took place, just that I learned about it not too long ago.

The $1500 USD price was what they were going for in Japan. I'm sure they'd go for more via import sites, just like the W3000ANV. Especially a year later, I'm sure the price would have gone up a bit.

I've actually owned three L3000s. The first was purchased from my brother at cost and then eventually sold back to him at cost. The second was the balanced L3000 which I'm selling to another head-fier. The third is the one that went up a few weeks ago that is in near mint condition. Let's just say the range has been from $2300 to $3500 depending on time of purchase and condition, with the price only going up each time.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #938 of 3,599

Quote:
It was a lovely pair indeed, about as mint as they get I'd think.

The balanced ones I own now are close to mint as well, with their papers and original packaging. Honestly I'd be perfectly content if I ran a balanced system as my main rig. It's just the adapter to 1/4" makes them a bit awkward to handle.

Due to their limited nature and price, I hope most owners have had enough sense to treat them with kid gloves. I'd hate to see a pair of the L3000 in bad shape.

With certain "rare" headphones like the Grado HP1000, the lettering can rub off over time even if they're cared for. The gold on the Edition 9s flakes off really easily too. Wooden earcups or metal finishes can get scratches with the slightest nudge. Fortunately the leatherheads are actually really durable and resistant to cosmetic blemishes as far as exotics go.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #939 of 3,599

These W3000ANV cans are mighty tempting. To those who have owned it and have given it a good listen, are they worth getting? What is their sound signature like?

Also, how often does Audio Technica release limited edition headphones such as these? There seems to be many limited edition AT cans over the past couple of years.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #942 of 3,599

Quote:
I should have said, "I recently heard" instead. Don't know when the transaction took place, just that I learned about it not too long ago.

The $1500 USD price was what they were going for in Japan. I'm sure they'd go for more via import sites, just like the W3000ANV. Especially a year later, I'm sure the price would have gone up a bit.

I've actually owned three L3000s. The first was purchased from my brother at cost and then eventually sold back to him at cost. The second was the balanced L3000 which I'm selling to another head-fier. The third is the one that went up a few weeks ago that is in near mint condition. Let's just say the range has been from $2300 to $3500 depending on time of purchase and condition, with the price only going up each time.

phew talk about variances, you will leave me constructing a confidence interval the whole night coz im a sucker on these,
but for now i will take it as $2900 
tongue.gif
thanks for sharing by the way, oh and i didn't mean to pick on what you said earlier, just leaving my humble impressions.
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #943 of 3,599

Quote:
Can't you put on a 1/4 plug instead of the balanced ones? Or are we talking about two completely separate cables?

I could easily get them recabled back to a 1/4 plug I'm sure, and if I was keeping them that's probably what I'd do. I just prefer having the stock cable if possible. This way I can trade for some rare woodies, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back