New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 20, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #962 of 3,599
Quote:
I can vouch for the Churi transformers. They work quite well.

Any import site will have them, for sure.

Yep, I use a 200W Churi with my Onkyo Intec 205 system; has been working fine for half a decade now.

And indeed, I reckon most export etailers of electronic nippon goods will carry them.

AppleheadMay, if you have not ordered the HA5000 yet (I went back a few pages in the tread, but couldn't quickly find confirmation) you should be able to order a step-down transformer alongside it, and for cheaper than buying it on its own.

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:37 AM Post #963 of 3,599
Thanks for the tips. I should have mentioned I need one from 220V too 100V though.
200W was what I had in mind as well although the amp only needs 30W.

I have bought the HA5000ANV already from Craig at Kuboten and it should be on its way by now.
I ordered the W3000ANV from him as well and they are here in Brussels already, held up at customs. I dind't wait for them to send me a letter and mailed them the necessary info myself to speed things up a little. I'll call them again tomorrow.

I asked Craig about a transfo but he said the ones he had weren't of the best quality and he advised me to look for one in Belgium as these would be better.
I'll try to find a Churi then. I remember reading in another thread about those but couldn't find it back and couldn't remember the name anymore. Thanks for the links @Oz, I'll check them out.

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #964 of 3,599
Still a bit in doubt here. I found the Churi CCW200W and Kashimura TI-20.
The Kashimura will be a bit overkill with it's 1500W but that's ok by me. It looks like a nice device but since you all mention the Churi I wonder if Kashimura is a good brand as well. If it does anything to SQ or from keeping my amp from getting damaged then I wouldn't mind the extra $.
Kashimura seems to be made in China and Churi in Japan. Hmmm ...

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #965 of 3,599
Quote:
Still a bit in doubt here. I found the Churi CCW200W and Kashimura TI-20.
The Kashimura will be a bit overkill with it's 1500W but that's ok by me. It looks like a nice device but since you all mention the Churi I wonder if Kashimura is a good brand as well. If it does anything to SQ or from keeping my amp from getting damaged then I wouldn't mind the extra $.
Kashimura seems to be made in China and Churi in Japan. Hmmm ...

There's a 100W version of the Churi transformer; 1500W is definitely overkill if you don't plan on running more Nippon gear from it; but as a brand, Kashimura is fine: I have numerous lower wattage units scattered around for my bookshelf systems & Hi-MD MiniDisc Player charging docks, of the 35 & 100W flavours.

Actually, the Kashimura TI-352 (35W) is available from Amazon & eBayTailer joynetcafe.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #966 of 3,599
Good to hear Kashimura is ok as well. So the Churi is not higher quality per se?
I wouldn't go for the 100W though, I heard a bit more wattage is better.
As for more Nippon gear, who knows, I have the Onkyo Dac 1000 in mind MuppetFace recommended me. If the Kashimura has multiple outlets it might not be a bad idea.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #967 of 3,599
Build quality is better with the Churi I'd say. The Kashimura low wattage transformers are designed as "travel" transformers, hence the "Travel Inverter" label on the units. That hasn't stopped me from using them permanently in the house with the aforementioned gear. The 1500W surely is in another league.

Hey, my next Onkyo set-up would be built around the DAC-1000 too :) !

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #970 of 3,599
Quote:
Marketing or not?

Could be, but there could be some genuine noise filters, which would be actually expected with devices in that price range.

Quote:
As well if it's true.

Not true:

But I wouldn't worry about that too much; Made in China with Japanese Quality Control is fine by me. I have no complaints with my Onkyo D-152E speakers.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #972 of 3,599

Quote:
Could be, but there could be some genuine noise filters, which would be actually expected with devices in that price range.

Not true:

But I wouldn't worry about that too much; Made in China with Japanese Quality Control is fine by me. I have no complaints with my Onkyo D-152E speakers.

Thanks for the pic, I see it has 2 outputs.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #973 of 3,599
I ordered a Churi along with my ORB from PriceJapan. Both are being stored at the customs, for a week so far. *** **** ******* ****!!! Try filling in the missing letters.

I'm really in a mood for a kill or two right now.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #974 of 3,599

Quote:
I ordered a Churi along with my ORB from PriceJapan. Both are being stored at the customs, for a week so far. *** **** ******* ****!!! Try filling in the missing letters.

I'm really in a mood for a kill or two right now.

Same here, shall we team up? 
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #975 of 3,599
The more the merrier... Or how it was? =D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back