New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Dec 17, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #901 of 3,599

Quote:
Or the R10 wood ...

I believe the upcoming Fostex TH900 will use the same wood as the R10, Zelkova Serrata. Coupled with the Urushi Japanese lacquer.... sexy. They're definitely on my consideration list for headphones for next year.

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #903 of 3,599

Quote:
I believe the upcoming Fostex TH900 will use the same wood as the R10, Zelkova Serrata. Coupled with the Urushi Japanese lacquer.... sexy. They're definitely on my consideration list for headphones for next year.

Wow! I thought Fostex made only orthos and I promised myself not to get into those anymore.
They look nice. Anybody heard them at CanJam or something?

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #904 of 3,599
Y'know, life is funny.  Since I got them (and after a vigorous 100 hours break in), I have been listening to pretty much nothing but the W3000ANV when i am listening with headphones.  Not because I have been forcing myself to, but rather quite the opposite - because I found myself WANTING to.  I know they are not really neutral.  And I find myself not caring at all.  These things make music REALLY enjoyable to listen to.  I also find them superbly comfortable.  And that combination has meant they have been getting, and will continue to get a lot of head time.  Perfect? No. But highly enjoyable. I've never thought of myself as liking the AT sound, although I did like the W1000X.  But I do like the W3000ANV, much better than the W1000X, or any of the other AT cand I have owned, which includes the L3000, W1000 original, ATH-900, and probably several others I have forgotten.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #905 of 3,599
Glad to hear you like them as well as the W1000X Skylab. Since I have the same feeling for the W1000X as you seem to have for the W3000ANV I can only hope my pair clears customs soon. Really eager to hear them, and see them as well since I love shiny wooden stuff.

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #907 of 3,599

Quote:
But I do like the W3000ANV, much better than the W1000X, or any of the other AT cand I have owned, which includes the L3000, W1000 original, ATH-900, and probably several others I have forgotten.

I got the w1000x today, and I'm enjoying them massively, so I'm very curious on your thoughts about the differences in sound between them and the w3000.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #909 of 3,599

Quote:
Y'know, life is funny.  Since I got them (and after a vigorous 100 hours break in), I have been listening to pretty much nothing but the W3000ANV when i am listening with headphones.  Not because I have been forcing myself to, but rather quite the opposite - because I found myself WANTING to.  I know they are not really neutral.  And I find myself not caring at all.  These things make music REALLY enjoyable to listen to.  I also find them superbly comfortable.  And that combination has meant they have been getting, and will continue to get a lot of head time.  Perfect? No. But highly enjoyable. I've never thought of myself as liking the AT sound, although I did like the W1000X.  But I do like the W3000ANV, much better than the W1000X, or any of the other AT cand I have owned, which includes the L3000, W1000 original, ATH-900, and probably several others I have forgotten.

Totally agree. They are supremely musical headphones, and highly addictive. I've put my beloved HD800s on the block.

o

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #910 of 3,599
Quote:

Skylab,

Since you like the W3000ANV so much, will it be leap frogging a few positions in your preference list?  I see it is currently listed below the DX1000 and the Edition 8.  I find that kind of surprising based on what you said above.  Which of those 3 closed headphones is your favorite?

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #911 of 3,599
Quote:
The standard Denon AH-D7000 isn't anywhere near as involving as the W1000X.
Order with Mark placed, will take over a month though. Specific wood to choose later on.
And still waiting for customs to clear my W3000's.

Haha, you just told me yesterday you weren't going to modify the D7000. 
wink_face.gif
   I recommend getting the Jenna Labs cable, it is expensive but worth it.  I have the claro walnut, and it really sounds great.  Also as I told you before, you may want to replace Mark's modified pads with the JMoney pads.   The cable will need to be burned in because out of the box, the LA7000 will sound a bit strange.  Congrats!

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #912 of 3,599

Quote:
.... I've put my beloved HD800s on the block.

Pretty much happened to me too, i find the brightness of W3K more acceptable to my ears that HD800, they are not that ear piercing. Agreed on the fact that W3K is just special ...and sexy', though i still thinks that im more of an open headphone person.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #913 of 3,599

Quote:
Haha, you just told me yesterday you weren't going to modify the D7000. 
wink_face.gif
   I recommend getting the Jenna Labs cable, it is expensive but worth it.  I have the claro walnut, and it really sounds great.  Also as I told you before, you may want to replace Mark's modified pads with the JMoney pads.   The cable will need to be burned in because out of the box, the LA7000 will sound a bit strange.  Congrats!

I told you differently today though. I sent you two PM's in a row but I think you only noticed the last one. Was wondering why you didn’t reply to the first one.
wink_face.gif

With the replacement cups and the damping inside those it should be easy to get the D7000 back to standard if I want it.
I ordered the stage 1 + stage 2 DIY package, seems like a good value to me and I don't need to send the phones and (possibly) import them back in.
Customs here are the same people that invented warm water, you know.

You have the Claro Walnut like MuppetFace. Does that classify under the soft or hard woods? Or put differently: did you opt for the dry and neutral sound or warm and romantic?
I have two pairs of J$ pads already, one pair is on the D7000. They are V1 or 2, not sure how to check that. I'll try with both the J$ pads and Mark's angled pads.

Dec 18, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #914 of 3,599

Quote:
I told you differently today though. I sent you two PM's in a row but I think you only noticed the last one. Was wondering why you didn’t reply to the first one.
wink_face.gif

With the replacement cups and the damping inside those it should be easy to get the D7000 back to standard if I want it.
I ordered the stage 1 + stage 2 DIY package, seems like a good value to me and I don't need to send the phones and (possibly) import them back in.
Customs here are the same people that invented warm water, you know.

You have the Claro Walnut like MuppetFace. Does that classify under the soft or hard woods? Or put differently: did you opt for the dry and neutral sound or warm and romantic?
I have two pairs of J$ pads already, one pair is on the D7000. They are V1 or 2, not sure how to check that. I'll try with both the J$ pads and Mark's angled pads.

When I purchased my LA2000 from a fellow head-fier, he showed me the correspondence with Mark to give me an idea of what the claro walnut mods would sound like. From the description given by Mark, they're "dead center, not to forward or back, and with a little warmth."

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #915 of 3,599
Thanks for the info. Sounds to me like a medium soft wood according to the info I got from Mark. I asked for warm and romantic rather than dry and neutral, with the remark that I wanted bass well controlled and not bleeding into the midrange. I'll probably get some choices of medium soft or soft wood. You get at least 2 varieties to choose from when he gets the shipment delivered for the batch.
I checked on the Zelkova Serrata but couldn't really find if the wood was hard. I have a friend who is a garden architect and he says the family that species belongs to would be rather hard. He's probably right since I read that the wood is known to be used in Japan to make temples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back