New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Nov 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #1,201 of 1,588
Quote:

olegausany pointed out some important things to note. If you want a closed headphones (one where people can't hear your music, and your headphones block out some sound) the HE-400 are not a good choice. If you want a portable pair to go with you to a quiet environment, the HE-400 kill the D600. 

Also, the D600 are now down to $310 on ebay / open box. Prices dropping on these.

what about the hd650's vs he-400 ? 

Nov 1, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #1,204 of 1,588
Or $339.00 brand new...

https://fumfie.com/product/122.58/ah_d600-_Denon_Music_Maniac_AH_D600_Over_Ear_Headphones_AHD600_-/

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #1,205 of 1,588
Quote:
for roughly 300 dollars are they denon's d600 worth it ?? I also own the dragonyfly>o2 amp which is my primary setup for listening to music...  I'm looking to use the denon ah-d600 as a complement to my akg q701's and as a portable headphone. I'm also interested in the he-400's(full price)/HD650's ($300) any advice would be great !

If you don't mind MOOOOAAAAAR BASSS then they're definitely worth it 
atsmile.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,206 of 1,588
Quote:
what about the hd650's vs he-400 ? 

I think the HE-400 are a clear winner in this category. Also, for whatever reason, sennheiser keeps bumping up the price on the HD650, and locking it in at a higher level. I don't think it's worth the higher asking price. 

Be aware that HD650 are very picky with pairing and usually lacking deep subbas. I only aware of only 2 units where it's not the case while heard only one myself.
After I heard HE-400 bass straight from the box (even using not adequate amp) I can't go back to HD650 that's why they are for sale

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #1,207 of 1,588
Quote:
for roughly 300 dollars are they denon's d600 worth it ?? I also own the dragonyfly>o2 amp which is my primary setup for listening to music...  I'm looking to use the denon ah-d600 as a complement to my akg q701's and as a portable headphone. I'm also interested in the he-400's(full price)/HD650's ($300) any advice would be great !

As a portable headphone, D600 is the clear choice of the three as it is the only closed set that seals well and it is by far the most comfortable between those three. It is also much easier to drive compare to the HD650 and is more efficient than the HE-400. And for $300 I'm sure not very many here will say it is a bad purchase. For purely indoor, then it really is up to your preference and the type of music you will use them for. If you are ever temped about going with the HE or HD and think you can take them outdoors in public places, be prepared to have people looking at you like you are an a-hole, since what you are hearing will be blasted for everyone else and zero isolation for outside sound as well.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #1,208 of 1,588
Quote:
As a portable headphone, D600 is the clear choice of the three as it is the only closed set that seals well and it is by far the most comfortable between those three. It is also much easier to drive compare to the HD650 and is more efficient than the HE-400. And for $300 I'm sure not very many here will say it is a bad purchase. For purely indoor, then it really is up to your preference and the type of music you will use them for. If you are ever temped about going with the HE or HD and think you can take them outdoors in public places, be prepared to have people looking at you like you are an a-hole, since what you are hearing will be blasted for everyone else and zero isolation for outside sound as well.

thank you for ur input :) i'm definitely going to give the d600 a try if not save up for a he-500 and compare the q701's to them and see if there worth the hype :p

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #1,209 of 1,588
Purchased a pair of D600s off the FS forum here at a significantly discounted price. Just got them delivered today.

A few hours in and comfort is very good; the build is more solid than I imagined. I'm actually quite pleased with them in regards to aesthetics. They are also significantly larger and weightier than I had expected from seeing pictures. Can't see myself using these very often in a portable fashion, if at all. Worried listening to these will be fatiguing, will see how things go.

Definite emphasis in the lower end of the headphones. Can be very enjoyable with certain songs. I let a bass loving friend of mine try them, and she absolutely loves them and has pronounced them her favorite to date. This is after her having heard stuff I've brought to her like the HD 600, HD800, LCD 2, Paradox. I can imagine these being absolutely wonderful for casual music lovers who like the mainstream music of today.

Will probably end up keeping these for occasional use when I want a bass kick, and to let those coworkers/friends of mine that like heavy lower end accentuated headphones borrow. At the price I bought them for I feel they were a worthwhile pickup. Didn't even try to EQ them to a more neutral sound, tried a few EQ settings on the J3 and actually ended up coloring them further for a more enjoyable "unnatural" sound.
rolleyes.gif

A fun pair of cans.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #1,212 of 1,588
Interestingly enough, the D600s sound signficantly better out of my iPhone 5 unamped as opposed to Cowon J3. So far, it is the only headphone in my collection that I actually prefer listening to on the 5 as opposed to the J3. I suppose Denon could have used the iPhone as one of their test sources when designing the 600s, because the syngery is significantly superior.

It's nice I suppose. Other than the D600s, I've been rather disappointed with how the iPhone 5 has played with various IEMs and portable headphones.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #1,213 of 1,588
I would like to see a comparison with the AKG K167 TIESTO's as I got a feeling from what I read and have experienced myself, that the TIESTOs can outperform the D600 and cost half the price.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #1,214 of 1,588
I would like to see a comparison with the AKG K167 TIESTO's as I'm pretty sure from what I read and have experienced myself, that the TIESTOs can outperform the D600 and cost half the price.

While they may outperform the D600 on the low end, I doubt they can or are even designed (as DJ cans) to offer the high end extension of the D600.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #1,215 of 1,588
Thats what they do better. Highs. I don't consider the K167s a DJ can at all, but a studio can. A balanced signature with magnificent treble (extension/decay).

You know, Craigster, I'm a treble-head and I wouldn't be praising them so much if treble wasn't this good :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back