New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,218 of 1,588
OK. So I've been burning in my D-600 for about 100 hrs. now.
I must say, as of to date, these cans are becoming one of my favorite, fun, "go-to" headphones. I'm going to ignore the frequency graphs, and let my ears tell me if I like a can or not.

I'll be reaching for my Q701 when I feel like "studying" or analyzing what I'm hearing. But hey, when I want to enjoy my music...you know,  I'm talking about head-bobbing, grinning' from ear-to ear, or "I'm 50 yrs. old, I shouldn't be acting like this", I'm going for my D-600.

Hmm, how do I explain this---  Don't get me wrong, I really like the headphones. But when they're on my head, I'm not thinking how good the cans are, or how good they can hit the highs or lows. I'm not thinking about the cost, or whether I like this Denon or not.

Instead, I'm lost in my music. I find myself going through my older music collection.... Marvin Gaye's Sexual Healing never, ever sounded better. Al Green's Let's Stay Together? D-600 just added that low-end boom it's always been missing. And I'm doing air-guitar when I'm listening to Rush's Red Barchetta, thinking "wow, duuuude, these guy's are awwwwsooooome...I wonder if they're still touring?...".

Oh yeah, they also work great with the current lounge/chill out music. D-600 + fine cigar + mellow lounge/chill music = late night bliss for me. That, my friends, is what I call Chillin'. (it's not about the cans, it's about me enjoying music)

You get the idea. Anyway, I'm very happy with my D-600.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,219 of 1,588
Just got some discomfort with the headband.  Seems it's a little to narrow for the weight of the headphone.  This was after a 2 hour listening session.  I have used the AH-D5000 and HD8000 for a lot longer with no issues.  Hopefully it's a one time thing.

I'm happy with the sound as well.  I can see how no bass heads may find the mid bass bump a bit much though.

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #1,221 of 1,588
I've had mine for a couple of days now. Out of the box, they weren't that bad. Definitely not worth 500.00. But they sounded ok for a closed can that actually isolated unlike the dx000 series. I was pretty impressed with the packaging and accessories. But I decided not to give up on them too quickly and give them a few days of burn in. But if the sound didn't improve, they were going back.

The things I didn't like were: the bass was too boomy for me, and there was a good bit of bloat. The highs were pretty much non existent and the mids too grainy. The sound as a whole was a little too congested for me. The things I liked were: they did have a good level of refinement. I like the tone they produced. Not too cold or too warm. Just the right amount of color. They had a pleasing, musical tone that sounded right to my ears.

Now after 50.00 hours of burining them in, the sound has matured. The bass got tighter, highs are much more prominant, and the sound is more open and clear. They still have a small sound stage without much depth. The mids are still grainy, but to a lessor extent. Are they worth 500.00? Well I can't answer that in absolute terms, but I will say, if the d5000 are then the d600 definitely are. These are an upgrade from the d5000 in my book(won't even mention the d2000). The only advantages the d5000 have is sound stage and bass extention IMO. But I can see fans of the d5000 preferring those, but my preference is for the d600.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #1,222 of 1,588
Quote:
I've had mine for a couple of days now. Out of the box, they weren't that bad. Definitely not worth 500.00. But they sounded ok for a closed can that actually isolated unlike the dx000 series. I was pretty impressed with the packaging and accessories. But I decided not to give up on them too quickly and give them a few days of burn in. But if the sound didn't improve, they were going back.
The things I didn't like were: the bass was too boomy for me, and there was a good bit of bloat. The highs were pretty much non existent and the mids too grainy. The sound as a whole was a little too congested for me. The things I liked were: they did have a good level of refinement. I like the tone they produced. Not too cold or too warm. Just the right amount of color. They had a pleasing, musical tone that sounded right to my ears.
Now after 50.00 hours of burining them in, the sound has matured. The bass got tighter, highs are much more prominant, and the sound is more open and clear. They still have a small sound stage without much depth. The mids are still grainy, but to a lessor extent. Are they worth 500.00? Well I can't answer that in absolute terms, but I will say, if the d5000 are then the d600 definitely are. These are an upgrade from the d5000 in my book(won't even mention the d2000). The only advantages the d5000 have is sound stage and bass extention IMO. But I can see fans of the d5000 preferring those, but my preference is for the d600.

Thanks for your impressions. Seems like you're hearing it very much similarly to me. They're easily on par with the D5000 as far as sound quality goes IMO. I wouldn't even bother comparing it to the D2000 based on what I've heard about D2000 vs D5000. Coming from D5000 I can't really say the D600 is bassy at all though, they have just the right amount for me, but if someone comes from something like HD650 or K/Q701 that would be very noticeable. 

I want to try the D7100 as well, unfortunately I can't justify owning both the 600 and 7100. My 5000 is gone and my 7000 is now in its box, I don't use it much so might as well keep them as new as possible. Right now the only cans serving me at home is the 600 and I don't really miss the 5000 or 7000 that much at all. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #1,223 of 1,588
Quote:

My 5000 is gone and my 7000 is now in its box, I don't use it much so might as well keep them as new as possible. Right now the only cans serving me at home is the 600 and I don't really miss the 5000 or 7000 that much at all. 

I'm glad you are the one who went there.
biggrin.gif
 I didn't bother mentioning the d7000 in comparison because I don't feel like suffering through the level of venom the dx000 fanatics have been throwing out since the new denons came out lol. I've owned the d7000 a couple of times. Both times I modded the heck out of them too try to get more out of them. My second pair even had markl cups. Now I'm not saying I didn't enjoy them. I enjoyed them a lot and would have kept them if they actually isolated like a closed can. They leak like a semi open can, and for their price(modded or unmodded), you can get much better performance out of a true open can if that's all the isolation you're going to get anyway.

I'm also not saying the d600s are better or even just as good. But they're good enough not to miss the d7000, and you actually get the bonus of actually having good isolation which is what I really wanted. I also wanted something to use outside a lot, and their more rugged build quality was a plus as well. The d7000s are just too nice for outdoor use. They still have their flaws, but their flaws are acceptable for me. If I want audio nirvana, I have a few other options I can reach for.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #1,225 of 1,588
Quote:
I'm glad you are the one who went there.
biggrin.gif
 I didn't bother mentioning the d7000 in comparison because I don't feel like suffering through the level of venom the dx000 fanatics have been throwing out since the new denons came out lol. I've owned the d7000 a couple of times. Both times I modded the heck out of them too try to get more out of them. My second pair even had markl cups. Now I'm not saying I didn't enjoy them. I enjoyed them a lot and would have kept them if they actually isolated like a closed can. They leak like a semi open can, and for their price(modded or unmodded), you can get much better performance out of a true open can if that's all the isolation you're going to get anyway.

I'm also not saying the d600s are better or even just as good. But they're good enough not to miss the d7000, and you actually get the bonus of actually having good isolation which is what I really wanted. I also wanted something to use outside a lot, and their more rugged build quality was a plus as well. The d7000s are just too nice for outdoor use. They still have their flaws, but their flaws are acceptable for me. If I want audio nirvana, I have a few other options I can reach for.

I'm glad I'm not the only hipster around here who actually finds the D600 enjoyable 
beerchug.gif
. At least Denon attempted to fix the problems with the old line (bloated bass, recessed mids, fragile build, poor isolation etc.) and now everyone is like, "OMG these look terrible therefore they must sound bad" blah blah blah. I can't say for the D7100 vs D7000 case, but the D600 is certainly not worse than the D5000, considering that their MSRP are 200 bucks apart (D5000 retailed for 699) and street prices are also about 100-150 apart.   

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #1,227 of 1,588
I owned the D600 for awhile and now own the M-100.  IMO, anyone who likes the D600 (which I did, but not enough to keep), will love the M-100.  In comparison, the M-100 bass is much deeper, tighter, punchier with no bleed; highs are smoother than D600 yet also extend nearly as high.  The only area where I would give the D600 a slight edge is midrange detail.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #1,228 of 1,588
Quote:
Hey guys, Denon ah-d600 are listed in www.fumfie.com for 338$. Is this website legit or are they selling any fake ones?

They are legit.
Lots of people have bought them from there.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #1,229 of 1,588
Quote:
I owned the D600 for awhile and now own the M-100.  IMO, anyone who likes the D600 (which I did, but not enough to keep), will love the M-100.  In comparison, the M-100 bass is much deeper, tighter, punchier with no bleed; highs are smoother than D600 yet also extend nearly as high.  The only area where I would give the D600 a slight edge is midrange detail.

Very hard to believe the depth thing as the D600 extends ultra-deep (deeper than the HD 800, deeper than the T1, deeper than the D7000). Of course, things may vary between units.. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #1,230 of 1,588
To my ears, the M100 seems to extend the same but they have so much better quality than the D600s... If the M100s had the level of comfort of the D600s, they would have been great!!!

Still, the D600s are Ok headphones.
Are they great sounding headphones (better than the D600s) at better prices? Yes... So if someone is looking for Denon because they plainly like Denon, I can see the D600s being a good option! Other than that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back