New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #1,081 of 1,588
Damn that fumfie price is good.

Bass on these headphones is enjoyable when I compare it to the previous headphones I owned (K701 & HD650).

Sep 25, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #1,083 of 1,588
Quote:
I must ask out of curiosity why you returned the Mad Dogs.

Presumably 'cos it didn't suit him even after burn-in or it didn't isolate well enough in the city??

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/6600#post_8720079

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #1,084 of 1,588
Quote:

Presumably 'cos it didn't suit him even after burn-in or it didn't isolate well enough in the city??

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592389/v-moda-m-100-discussion-feedback-reviews-pics-etc/6600#post_8720079

Perhaps.  When he said not his cup of tea, I was just wondering if it related to their sound as I have the Mad Dogs w/Dog Pads on my short list.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #1,085 of 1,588
There's one thing I find a little peculiar about the D600s, and it's this: some of us have described the bass as a little lacking (presumably this would be a bass head's opinion), while others (and I count myself among this group), hear very extended, deep bass but without the control one would expect from audiophile headphones. I owned both the D2000 and the D600 simultaneously and I did a bunch of A/B testing. And what I heard left no room for doubt: the D600 had a huge amount of bass--both sub bass and mid bass. By comparison the D2000 seemed a little bass shy! (I know this will be a minority opinion here, but that's how I heard it, folks; what's more that's how I heard it again and again, song after song, ad nauseam.) If I had to cram the problems I had with the D600's bass into a nutshell, I would simply say this: the bass lacked control and cast its shadow across the entire frequency response range. I would also add that the bass produced notable, and often disconcerting resonances. Some here have called the bass "artificial" but I think I would simply call it echoey.   

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #1,086 of 1,588
Quote:
There's one thing I find a little peculiar about the D600s, and it's this: some of us have described the bass as a little lacking (presumably this would be a bass head's opinion), while others (and I count myself among this group), hear very extended, deep bass but without the control one would expect from audiophile headphones. I owned both the D2000 and the D600 simultaneously and I did a bunch of A/B testing. And what I heard left no room for doubt: the D600 had a huge amount of bass--both sub bass and mid bass. By comparison the D2000 seemed a little bass shy! (I know this will be a minority opinion here, but that's how I heard it, folks; what's more that's how I heard it again and again, song after song, ad nauseam.) If I had to cram the problems I had with the D600's bass into a nutshell, I would simply say this: the bass lacked control and cast it's shadow across the entire frequency response range. I would also add that the bass produced notable, and often disconcerting resonances. Some here have called the bass artificial but I think I would simply call it echoey.   

I wonder if the difference is more than just perception and if there is a quality control issue related to consistency?

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #1,087 of 1,588
That would explain a lot, but I suppose it would be hard to verify this. Considering all the problems plaguing the new Denon lineup, however, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.  Btw, I thought we were being though on the D600 over here, but the folks on the D7100 thread have ruthlessly eviscerated those poor headphones. Reading all the bad impressions, here and elsewhere, I keep whispering, "What a Denon debacle." 

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #1,088 of 1,588
Quote:
That would explain a lot, but I suppose it would be hard to verify this. Considering all the problems plaguing the new Denon lineup, however, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the case.  Btw, I thought we were being though on the D600 over here, but the folks on the D7100 thread have ruthlessly eviscerated those poor headphones. Reading all the bad impressions, here and elsewhere, I keep whispering, "What Denon debacle." 

I think the issues with the D7100 are magnified since, based on reviews, they are only marginally better than the D600 for about triple the cost.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,089 of 1,588
Quote:
+1
After I receive refund for Mad Dogs I will go to Apple store to see if they have Momentum. As everybody else waiting for M-100

I must ask out of curiosity why you returned the Mad Dogs.

I returned them cause while they isolate as good as D600 they are NOT for people looking for HE-400/D5000/7000 bass and HD650/D5000/7000 highs and details

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #1,090 of 1,588
Yeah, I can only imagine! If I had dropped $1200 clams on substandard headphones (especially considering all the reputable offerings at that price point), I'd feel a little angry too. No, let me revise that: I'd feel as angry as Yosemite Sam.

Sep 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,092 of 1,588
Quote:
I returned them cause while they isolate as good as D600 they are NOT for people looking for HE-400/D5000/7000 bass and HD650/D5000/7000 highs and details

Yep, Mad Dogs are more "mid-centric" to my ears but this just means that you don't really prefer "flat" headphones (which is Ok). Still, I believe the bass of the Mad Dogs is of great quality and although not the same quantity as the D600s, I enjoyed it a bit more... I definitely think you will probably like the Ultrasone Signature Pros though...

Sep 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #1,093 of 1,588
Listen to tracks like Bob Baldwin's Everybody's Beautiful or Till Brönner's Track One and you'll hear that deep sub-bass. I also think these have significantly heavier bass than most headphones I've heard in this price range. Wouldn't say it's awfully well controlled and indeed there are some resonances to be found. But it's not bloated or boomy and doesn't drown out the mids. They are a little bass-boosted but hey they do it in a good way. They are fun sounding hi-fi headphones, who value punch and slam rather than neutrality and naturalism. I will say though, they do manage to get a lot of detail in the music, so they're very clear sounding. 

Tried them with my speaker amp, playing the Blu ray of Avengers. The deeper bass notes really surprised me. You really felt the force and vibrations of the low notes inside the cups. Wouldn't say they lack sub-bass or punch at all. But hey, thats just me :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #1,094 of 1,588
Quote:

Yep, Mad Dogs are more "mid-centric" to my ears but this just means that you don't really prefer "flat" headphones (which is Ok). Still, I believe the bass of the Mad Dogs is of great quality and although not the same quantity as the D600s, I enjoyed it a bit more... I definitely think you will probably like the Ultrasone Signature Pros though...

But they too expensive plus I'm very happy with D7000 especially after i upgraded my setup but interested in Signature DJ

Listen to tracks like Bob Baldwin's Everybody's Beautiful or Till Brönner's Track One and you'll hear that deep sub-bass. I also think these have significantly heavier bass than most headphones I've heard in this price range. Wouldn't say it's awfully well controlled and indeed there are some resonances to be found. But it's not bloated or boomy and doesn't drown out the mids. They are a little bass-boosted but hey they do it in a good way. They are fun sounding hi-fi headphones, who value punch and slam rather than neutrality and naturalism. I will say though, they do manage to get a lot of detail in the music, so they're very clear sounding. 

Tried them with my speaker amp, playing the Blu ray of Avengers. The deeper bass notes really surprised me. You really felt the force and vibrations of the low notes inside the cups. Wouldn't say they lack sub-bass or punch at all. But hey, thats just me :)

While I never heard tracks you listed but completely agree with your description
By the way while playing with EQ settings for Mad Dogs I think I created configuration for D600 which has basshead's bass which not bleeding into mids and not damaging highs and details. I really enjoy listening to KRAFTWERK with it

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,095 of 1,588
Quote:

Thank you for saving me from yet another return :)

But I think you made a mistake returning D600 since you don't have something better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back