Mikhail (Singlepower) you win...or maybe you're losing...
Mar 15, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #91 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He may well have a point in this case. I just wanted to make the point that when he shows up, complete thread meltdown often follows...and point out that he's not just any old expert in circuit design.

I understand.

Seems there has already been plenty of meltdown surrounding Singlepower - no need to exacerbate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #92 of 297
Listened to one of SP's older amps last night, the upgraded Supra with the huge Maestro caps (circa 2004, I believe). THAT is what got SP such a great reputation, as the amp sounded terrific. It is very sad how the mighty have fallen, but in the end it looks like SP did it to themselves.

Mar 15, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #93 of 297
Are Singlepower and /or Goldpoint legitimately registered businesses, and if so, has anyone tried notifying the Better Business Bureau? Also, in the other thread I believe someone posted that Mikhail had indicated that the majority of his business now comes from Asia.

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #94 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listened to one of SP's older amps last night, the upgraded Supra with the huge Maestro caps (circa 2004, I believe). THAT is what got SP such a great reputation, as that amp sounded terrific. It is very sad how the mighty have fallen, but in the end it looks like SP did it to themselves.

Yup that's probably one of my old amps. Can't deny that he was able to produce some decentish amps like 4 years ago, but nowadays just garbage.

Mar 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #95 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the whole story? Did your Supra break, or did you want to upgrade?

Frihed89, both, I wanted to upgrade, then it moved to a new amp, then the Supra broke. Below is my post (#1404) from the 'Where is Singlepower" thread.

Where is Singlepower? Where is Mikhail? - Page 94 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Quote:

[size=x-small]I ordered my amp Feb 2007 and received my first "it will be shipped next week" in April 2007. It started as an upgrade to my Supra, but I requested a loaner amp and for whatever reason Mikhail wasn't able to send me the loaner. So he decided to build a new amp and we agreed I would send him my Supra when I received the new amp. In April 2007 I paid Mikhail in full for the amp and in Aug 2007 I paid in full for his Qualia replacement headband.

I purchased my Supra in Feb 2006 and was never happy with the treble frequencies. The issue - for me - became more pronounced when I started using a new pair of Qualia's. The pre-amp channel became flacky a few months after I received it, and eventually stopped working. Then, Aug 08 the headphone left channel went dead, leaving the Supra unusable.

I've lost count of promised shipped dates and he has declined my most recent requests to refund my payment, stating in one of his rare email responses

"... We normally do not offer refunds on any of our amplifiers due to the custom nature of the products we produce...."

Just thought I would share.[/size]

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #96 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup that's probably one of my old amps. Can't deny that he was able to produce some decentish amps like 4 years ago, but nowadays just garbage.

what do you plan to do with your SS-1 XLR?

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #97 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are Singlepower and /or Goldpoint legitimately registered businesses, and if so, has anyone tried notifying the Better Business Bureau? Also, in the other thread I believe someone posted that Mikhail had indicated that the majority of his business now comes from Asia.

Singlepower has not been connected with Goldpoint for atleast a couple years.

Mar 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #98 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to speak for Skylab by saying this, so be clear that what I say is my own opinion:

The poster in question has made similar observations about a number of different vendors. That's fine, he's entitled to his opinion. He's not an MOT per se, and as such not subject to the rules governing MOT's as interested parties commenting on competitive products.

Having said all that, he IS a designer of the open source circuits used by a competing vendor. While he apparently gets no compensation for this venture, it's probably not unreasonable for a casual reader to question whether he's got some personal skin (which is not to say money, so much as personal pride) in this game. I'm not saying that is or isn't the case, but it might make one wonder whether his is the opinion of a completely disinterested party.

It also generally foreshadows a complete thread meltdown, with competing factions of fanboys weighing in with their own "unbiased" opinions. Ultimately, it serves little purpose.

THANK YOU. Perfectly said.

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #99 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Singlepower has not been connected with Goldpoint for atleast a couple years.

and while I'd love to believe this, why do both companies conduct business from the same location, with the same phone number, and the same contact names on the forms?

I realize that internet yellowpages take a while to update, but years is more than enough time

oh yeah, that, and I don't trust a thing SP claims or says
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #100 of 297
ciphercomplete, when did you e-mail him, and when did this response come?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He is still taking orders. I emailed him for kicks and he responded in only two hours.

"We have one very nicely upgraded unit in stock ready to ship, and another that will require 3 to 4 weeks to complete. New builds will require approximately 2 to 3 months to complete due to our current lead times on our custom built units.

The two available include the following:

Maestro ZR with Plitron Transformer
Black Gate NX coupling capacitors
Solid Silver point to point wiring 99.9999% pure.
4 inputs, 3 outputs selectable
Upgraded power supply internals with Black Gate final filters, and Vcap regulator caps
Upgraded output capacitors Large high capacitance, High speed Nichicon caps.
Singlepower Stepped attenuator, Direct Path Model

It's one of nicest units we've built, and is in new condition used only for demo purposes in the last six months.

Price is $5800, Retail is $6900 for a new build.

The second model we have is in process and is currently without modifications, and is a standard build from stock. Total time to completion is approximately 4 weeks. Stock models are $5200 delivered.

Let me know if you have any questions. Here are some attached pictures of the many models we've built around the Maestro ZR model type.

-
Thank You,
Mikhail Rotenberg
Singlepower Audio Inc.
Tel: 303-340-2544
Main: 303-523-0581
Hours: M - F 9:00 AM to 6:30 PM MST.
Mikhail@singlepower.com
"

This dude is something else.

Mar 16, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #101 of 297
Absolutely unbelieveable! Off the reality scale!
eek.gif

I tell ya though, i never liked the messy look of the inside of his amps anyway.
I heard them before, but at the time i didnt like ultrasones, and thats all he had on the amps that day, and it was a noisy meet Bayshore,NY, (2007?) so i dont know if they sounded better than the insides looked anyway. In this case, that other amp designer may be right about the safety of his amps, no matter how good they sound, or not.

I hope someone gets everyone paid back and this guy is put out of business finally, cuz all this stinks.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #102 of 297
Cipher if that is true, I cannot imagine the rage clients who have been waiting for months and years for their product.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #103 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe you are right that the amp used to belong to you. Great amp. It was fun comparing it to the TTVJ Millett 307A. I'll let you guess which one I liked better!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #104 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ciphercomplete, when did you e-mail him, and when did this response come?

It was just a couple days ago Jude.

Peete.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #105 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Frihed89, both, I wanted to upgrade, then it moved to a new amp, then the Supra broke. Below is my post (#1404) from the 'Where is Singlepower" thread.[/url]

What a shame to lose both the sound and the $5700. I have not had any such problems, yet. Nonetheless, I am embarking on some upgrades of my MPX3 and plan to have it checked through pretty thoroughly, as well,. I just wish there was someone to come in and fill the vacuum in the PPX3-Supra price range, which is pretty wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back