Mikhail (Singlepower) you win...or maybe you're losing...
Mar 16, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #106 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nonetheless, I am embarking on some upgrades of my MPX3 and plan to have it checked through pretty thoroughly, as well,.

Out of curiosity, do you intend to send it to Singlepower to have the work performed?

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #107 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallsroad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, do you intend to send it to Singlepower to have the work performed?

No. I am in Denmark. Nothing i import from NA gets shipped back to the US for repairs, if it breaks or i want to mod it, both of which have happened. I am learning and I have a really great tech here when i screw up or get lost.

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #108 of 297
Quote:

No. I am in Denmark. Nothing i import from NA gets shipped back to the US for repairs, if it breaks or i want to mod it, both of which have happened. I am learning and I have a really great tech here when i screw up or get lost.

A wise approach.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #109 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ciphercomplete, when did you e-mail him, and when did this response come?

I sent this email at 3:01 pm on March 14.

Subject: I would like to order a amp
"Hello,
I would like to order a Maestro ZR amp but I wanted to get a idea of just how long the wait time for the build would be.

Thanks"

I received his response at 5:17 pm on the same day.

He obviously isn't a hard guy to get in contact with if you want to give him money. He is really quite the tool.

Mar 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #110 of 297
Quote:

What a shame to lose both the sound and the $5700. I have not had any such problems, yet. Nonetheless, I am embarking on some upgrades of my MPX3 and plan to have it checked through pretty thoroughly, as well,. I just wish there was someone to come in and fill the vacuum in the PPX3-Supra price range, which is pretty wide.

Does the Eddie Current's Zana Deux fill part of the vacuum? I was searching over the weekend looking for an amp... I've been out of it for the last two years thinking I was going with a Singlepower, any advice on who I should be looking at?

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #111 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeLa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the Eddie Current's Zana Deux fill part of the vacuum? I was searching over the weekend looking for an amp... I've been out of it for the last two years thinking I was going with a Singlepower, any advice on who I should be looking at?

My take on the best dynamic headphone amp currently out there...the TTVJ Millett 307A. Costs about $6000 new. Does balanced, single ended, AKG K1000, and IEM headphones, with switches for low or high impedance. Three balanced and single ended inputs. Stunning sound that is very neutral, detailed, and holographic. Awesome bulid quality and no SP shenanigan's.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #112 of 297
Quote:

Shameless plug. PM me Please.

Thanks.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #113 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My take on the best dynamic headphone amp currently out there...the TTVJ Millett 307A. Costs about $6000 new. Does balanced, single ended, AKG K1000, and IEM headphones, with switches for low or high impedance. Three balanced and single ended inputs. Stunning sound that is very neutral, detailed, and holographic. Awesome bulid quality and no SP shenanigan's.

Thanks 4NS for the input, but after this ordeal, I think I'll be passing on $6K amps for awhile.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #114 of 297
Quote:

Thanks 4NS for the input, but after this ordeal, I think I'll be passing on $6K amps for awhile.

Just get the Zana and wait for the Mikhail to give you a call.

Mar 17, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #115 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get the Zana and wait for the Mikhail to give you a call.

in other worsd, just get the Zana?
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #116 of 297
I am fortunate to have a non-problematic SP amp. My first purchase was a MAD-made amp; then the modded MPX3; then a Blue Circle SBH (SS). Also because i am in DK, I don't get to any of these headphone "roundups" in the US, so I have very little chance to listen to other amps, other than what is available, commercially, from Europe; No Zanas, No 4Ns's.

But, speaking of Peter Millett, I have recently heard a DIY version of the Millett MiniMax hybrid and I must say it sounded quite suburb for the size and money. (I am surprised no one has taken this amp, put the circuitry on a bigger board in a bigger case and sold it for $1,000!).

The vacuum I want filled is for the large tube investment I have made for the MPX3.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #117 of 297
Quote:

MikeLa... Eddie Current Balancing Act is what I'm going with. I've heard the prototype of the 307A variant and enjoyed it more than I did the TTVJ 307A (Though I did enjoy the TTVj amp a lot) or Singlepower SDS-XLRs that I've heard.

And by all accounts from people I trust it's only gotten better (Different way of heating tube, better transformers) from when I heard it and it should be better than when they've heard it (Tube rectified uber power supply).

The initial go is 3200 for 307A/300B/45s tubes and 3700/3725 not sure which for the AD1 tube.

After this build (Not sure if there are spots left... there were 10 and they were all filled but cancellations happen), he is discontinuing this look/name and marketing them as Aficionados with I think only the AD1 option and for 4k.

If he has a spot I definitely suggest checking it out. He said a picture of the fully assembled amp should be available today and then his reference amp will go to the assemblers and they will begin building which is a ~2 week process to finish them all. After that I assume there will be testing and packing and so I estimate ~1 month or so and the amp should be done. Of course he can only guarantee that itll be done by CanJam aka end of May.

See how goes.. anyway I don't want to hype it too much, but this is definitely a contender for the best tube amp I've heard. I think it's a toss up between this and the TTVJ 307A with preferences being the deciding factor.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #118 of 297
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MikeLa... Eddie Current Balancing Act is what I'm going with. I've heard the prototype of the 307A variant and enjoyed it more than I did the TTVJ 307A (Though I did enjoy the TTVj amp a lot) or Singlepower SDS-XLRs that I've heard.

I see the TTJ on his site. Wow. Is there any more technical information on the "Balancing Act"? Also, the TTVj is said to deliver 3W into 32 Ohms, or something like that. Now, it's a transformer coupled amp so i suspect the power does not rise linearly into, say, 8 Ohms, but I wonder what kind of power it produces facing a 4-6 Ohm load? A single 300B can crank out about 9-10 watts; in parallel it can produce double that. But the headphone circuit must not be the same: 3 watts into a pair of K-701s. Ouch!

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #119 of 297
No there isn't. If you want it you'll have to write an email/call Craig. The BA is also transformer coupled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back