MarkL Mod made EASY! D2000 (possibly for D5000) template!
Feb 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #46 of 56
Hi there!

Bought my d2000 some 9 months ago, not sure how many hours of burn in. I haven't been quite satisfied with these phones due to the ripping highs and obviously loose bass. A few weeks ago received a HRT Headstreamer DAC/headphone amp to use between my laptop and my headphones. It brought out even more of the jagged sort of shrills or sibilance.

I've been interested in this mod since i first read about it, but very suspicious, trying to understand the different viewpoints and preferences of the people writing here.  I've been sceptic since a lot of this is so hard to define objectively when it comes to sound. But I'm very curious and also very much a DIY person. So i ordered some locally available dampening mat which looked very similar to the dynamat with the foil and all. I't was a brand called Mohawk, not much of it can be found searching in the internet. sticky gooey stuff about maybe 4 mm thick and an aluminium on top. I used the template (thanks coolchu001 ). Don't have printer so i traced it out on a transparent paper from my screen. Worked out well after I zoomed it so the 1" marker was in scale. I did the partial mod with the ear cups around the grey disk and the inner circle for the drivers backside. Not any stuffing of ear pads yet. To avoid any unwanted reflections  (and this is my own theory) punched the surface of the foil full of dents with a sharp knife. just to make the surface very ripply. (read about peolpe using some cloth to cover it). Then i put these now slightly heavier headphones on my head and voilá, it was a noticeable difference.  I'm not an experienced Hi-Fi freak, but still very glad it did this mod. Now i know what you guys mean with the bass having more resolution and tightness. And maybe it's the burn in or getting familiar with the sound signiture too but the highs are sounding smoother as well. Maybe i'll try the stuffing/taper mod to improve the soundstage, but I enjoy these as they are for now. Just wanted to write my experience as a thank you to Markl and all others who contributed.
Cheers from Finland,

-Niko

Mar 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #48 of 56
For those of you that are scared of losing the rumbling bass. Only do the back driver dampening and the cup. Anything else will tighten to bass too much and change the overall nature of the fun sounding signature. A recable will also improve the headphone greatly.

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #49 of 56
Thanks a lot for this Coolchu001. I made a video carrying out this mod and gave you a nice formal thank you at the end. My D2Ks sound a lot better now.

Enjoy the video guys:

Oct 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:
Thanks a lot for this Coolchu001. I made a video carrying out this mod and gave you a nice formal thank you at the end. My D2Ks sound a lot better now.

Enjoy the video guys:

Thanks for the video! This will be handy for first time modders!

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #52 of 56
 I may have put the dynam mat in the wrong side of the driver but I don't think that effected it too much if at all.

Personally, I strongly recommend NOT putting foil-covered Dynamat on the ear-side of the driver grill. I found that it made the treble shrill. I've used other damping material there (without metal foil), but I never tried Dynamat on the back side of the driver like in the video.

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #54 of 56
Bump for a wonderful work.
L3000.gif

Helped me tremendously with modding my D5K. The lining for cups "Earcup"  should be smaller for D5K though, I scaled it down 80% and it was almost perfect fit, you need to scale just "Earcups" piece the rest is okay sizing wise. Also cuts for screw mounts should be larger.

The holes inside "inner driver" should be a touch bigger as well, not sure where Mark gets his hole punchers but standard for paper is way too small, I just cut it with utility knife.
Didn't bother with holed thingy for the front of the driver, the part that is done wrong on the video above, (too much messy work) seems to sound good already w/o it.
Do I miss much by skipping it?

Link to the most up to date MarkL mod
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page55.html

Freeze Dynamat before cutting, makes it much easier to work with.

And big thanks to Mark for this amazing Denon damping discovery.

Mar 27, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #56 of 56
Maybe you should get your ears checked by a doctor. The D2000 are very even sounding headphone and although the highs are not the best they are certainly not as bad as you are describing. The bass is a little on the loose side but they go very deep and some will enjoy that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back