MarkL Mod made EASY! D2000 (possibly for D5000) template!
Aug 11, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #17 of 56
Coolchu001,

Awesome template! Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

A couple of minor things:
- The PDF file is 23.61 x 30.56 inches (at least on my computer). I had to print it out scaled to 36% to get the one inch marking the proper size on my printer.
- Correct spelling is "outer", not "outter"

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #18 of 56
Mark usually while things get bigger in the printer, is due to a setting on the printer, sometimes we set it to fit the paper size, or any other setting, if the template is well done, while you set it to "print actual size" or equivalent, that will do the trick...

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #19 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Coolchu001,

Awesome template! Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

A couple of minor things:
- The PDF file is 23.61 x 30.56 inches (at least on my computer). I had to print it out scaled to 36% to get the one inch marking the proper size on my printer.
- Correct spelling is "outer", not "outter"

Yeah I noticed that as well. Anyways, I made a few more revisions and corrected the spelling. Uploaded a new PDF and now it prints to scale without any scaling (100%)

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #21 of 56
Bleh, I completely gave up on the thing where you have to punch like 50 holes... the black stuff just kept getting all over my hole punch and made insertion impossible. (That sounded wrong?)

Anyway, I also found it's pretty easy to remove the grey plastic piece. It's some fairly weak glue. The first time, I actually removed it by using my nail. The second time, I used a small flatnose screwdriver, and with some fairly gentle pressure, I got a bit off, and I used my nail again from there.

Apr 12, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #24 of 56
The template worked great - thank you! I did the partial MarkL mod tonight and I definitely don't think it tamed the bass too much. I'm worried I'm hearing a balance issue, but this has been an issue for me for years. I bet it goes away tomorrow.

Jun 15, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #25 of 56
Huge thanks for this! It'll make my upcoming partial MarkL mod so much easier!
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #27 of 56
Just wanted to say thanks for this, I used it to do the mod last night (did everything except the front side of the drivers with all the holes). Took me about 40 minutes total.

A tip for everyone else, stick the dynamat in the freezer for a while before working with it and its a lot easier to work with.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #29 of 56
There was one post in this thread about ordering a hole puncher that is the "right size". Can anyone point me in the direction of one of these hole punchers?

I'm thinking about doing this, not sure yet. I just got my D2000s about two months ago and they are my first pair of nice headphones. Is there enough of a difference that somebody like me, without a whole lot of experience with higher end audio equipment would benefit from this. 

I originally planned to eventually mod them and didn't expect to do it for a year or so. But that was based on the assumption that it would cost about $140 (http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page17.html). The guide referred to by op is a much more affordable option. 

And for those who have done this, would you recommend doing the optional step 4 (Step 4: Add Fiberloft To The Earcup). I realize the answer probably depends on how I currently view the bass. When I first bought the headphones, I had read a lot of comments from people saying the bass on Denon's was a little overwhelming, which concerned me. But after listening to them for two months, I can't say I really sympathize with this statement. I don't think the bass is too heavy, and sometimes I wish it had a little more punch to it. Opinions?

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #30 of 56

And for those who have done this, would you recommend doing the optional step 4 (Step 4: Add Fiberloft To The Earcup). I realize the answer probably depends on how I currently view the bass. When I first bought the headphones, I had read a lot of comments from people saying the bass on Denon's was a little overwhelming, which concerned me. But after listening to them for two months, I can't say I really sympathize with this statement. I don't think the bass is too heavy, and sometimes I wish it had a little more punch to it. Opinions?

I recommend first doing the mod without the fiberloft. Listen to them that way for a month or two, until you are very familiar with the sound. Then, try adding a small amount of fiberloft and see if you prefer it that way.

If you just stuff the cups at the outset, you'll never know what contribution to the sound was from the fiberloft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back