Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Jan 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #61 of 762
Quote:
Sir, I have no idea what you just said, but it sounded good.
gs1000.gif

Latin for "silver is best."

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #63 of 762
Can't wait for more impressions!! This thing looks darned impressive... They do need to come out with some type of remote solution, though. (Preferably an Android app). 

Just out of curiosity, anybody planning on ripping any vinyl to digital? That kind of flexibility strikes me as one of the more awesome things about pro-audio gear like this...

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #64 of 762
Can't wait for more impressions!! This thing looks darned impressive... They do need to come out with some type of remote solution, though. (Preferably an Android app). 

Just out of curiosity, anybody planning on ripping any vinyl to digital? That kind of flexibility strikes me as one of the more awesome things about pro-audio gear like this...
I'm impressed that I can go to friend's houses and rip vinyl that wasn't issued on CD.

I was reading that they are coming out with a modest remote but that would mean adding an IR receiver into the case. Something that would let you select inputs and outputs and volume control. I think it was in gearslut. That would mean sending back I guess.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #65 of 762

The quality of the 192/24 rips using the Hilo is much higher than what I was getting using the MacBook Pro's internals, which can only do 96/24. It ain't analog, but it beats the heck out of 44.1/16 CD rips.

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #66 of 762
Really looking forward to auditioning Happy Campers unit when he gets it.  I'm looking to hear how the analog volume control sounds compared to the digital volume control on the M51 and PWD2.

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #67 of 762
I auditioned this unit over the weekend, and many thanks to the great guys over at Pro Audio LA for facilitating the audition. It's a very nice unit and I would consider it if I had a need for ripping vinyl, but I feel the m903 synergizes better with my system and provides a remote which is a necessity for me. I would say both DACs resolve more or less equally, with the Hilo being a little darker (through its own headphone out) which does tame the HD800 treble a little at the expense of it sounding a little veiled. I think the touchscreen is a nice idea and is implemented very well in terms of response time, etc... but after being spoiled with retina displays on my iphone, ipad, and mabcook pro, it's pretty low res. Not a big deal for most I would imagine; I think a remote functionality would also help in this regard. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #68 of 762
Any comment on the DAC outs with the Stratus? My interest lies in the DAC. These both play in the same price range so I expect them to sound more alike than different.

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #69 of 762
Quote:
[...] the Hilo being a little darker (through its own headphone out) which does tame the HD800 treble a little at the expense of it sounding a little veiled. [...]

You surprised me with this statement. So far I believe I've experienced (some) more top/treble (energy) with Lynx Hilo than Grace Design m903, both with Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 650. I haven't had any veil thoughts though.

Sennheiser HD 650 is good with Grace Design m903, but may sometimes lack a bit of top. I therefore tried it with Lynx Hilo to see if it would alleviate this, and it seemed to help. The top might have been bettered at the expense of the bottom though, but I have to investigate this much better to be sure. It's still early stages for me, and I've lately been occupied with other things.

Again as you and I have written about before: Our different loudness levels might be an important factor for several reasons.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #70 of 762
Quote:

You surprised me with this statement. So far I believe I've experienced (some) more top/treble (energy) with Lynx Hilo than Grace Design m903, both with Sennheiser HD 800 and HD 650. I haven't had any veil thoughts though.

Sennheiser HD 650 is good with Grace Design m903, but may sometimes lack a bit of top. I therefore tried it with Lynx Hilo to see if it would alleviate this, and it seemed to help. The top might have been bettered at the expense of the bottom though, but I have to investigate this much better to be sure. It's still early stages for me, and I've lately been occupied with other things.

Again as you and I have written about before: Our different loudness levels might be an important factor for several reasons.

Yes, interesting. I do have to caveat that I was only able to compare via headphone out only on both units since I did not have a suitable cable and I could not get my RCA-TRS adapters to work via the monitor out. So my Stratus amp was not in the equation for this audition, unfortunately. With regards to my comment on "veil", that is not to imply any lack or loss of resolution, it's just that the image is less sharp (or clear, if you will). For many, this would be a good thing and in fact, if I was driving my HD800 exclusively from the headphone out of the DAC, I would probably find the Hilo's sound easier to live with. Again, this may have to do with different volume levels as I listen fairly loud.

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #71 of 762
There's an interesting review (in Greek, unfortunately) that I stumbled upon while looking around, and it seems to have very complimentary things to say: 

Google Translate Link

Of particular note IMO is the breakdown the reviewer does of the actual components used in the Hilo. Looks like they used a Cirrus CS4398, of which I know absolutely nothing, but I figured somebody here would find that info of use :wink:

And I agree, Happy Camper, that having the ability to rip one's vinyl to a HQ digital file is a HUGE plus. I personally have pretty eclectic musical tastes, and as I particularly love a lot of metal music, I've been collecting vinyl copies of albums I love for a few years until I can get a suitable ADC to rip them (and, hopefully, circumvent the horrifically hot mixes that are so common in that genre).

Bring on the reviews!!!!! 
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #73 of 762
Quote:
I have been listening to a Hilo for the past couple of days.  (An engineer friend of mine loaned me his.  It's nice to have generous friends!)  In short, the Hilo is the best-sounding DAC I have heard in my home system.  As points of reference, I just sold my Lavry DA-10 to make room for an Anedio D2, and the Hilo is in another league.  Not to diss the Lavry; it provided me with two years of great sound and listening pleasure. And Lavry support is second to none. But the Hilo is something else again.  I have also had in my system a variety of Musical Fidelity DACs, a Ben Duncan DaX, and compared my Lavry to my friend's Dangerous Dac.  In my opinion, the Hilo trumps them all.  Now it's got more stuff built in than I want or need including an A to D converter and a 32 channel mixer.  And it's more expensive than I intended to spend on my next DAC, but if the Anedio D2 does not match it in sound, I will bite the bullet and buy the Hilo.

Cycler2, may I ask  your thoughts on how the Hilo stacked up against the Anedio D2? That was another device I had a very strong interest in, and I think it would be very illuminating to hear your experiences!! Thank you in advance!!

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #74 of 762
Quote:

Well, I stand corrected. After listening again as a DAC only, through my DNA Stratus, I think I can definitely say that the Hilo sounds a little more energetic and touch brighter than the m903, which sounds a little more laid back and a little warmer. I still think that both DACs are very close in terms of resolution, extension, and soundstage. Are you comparing both with a separate amp or through both units' headphone amp?

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #75 of 762
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I stand corrected. After listening again as a DAC only, through my DNA Stratus, I think I can definitely say that the Hilo sounds a little more energetic and touch brighter than the m903, which sounds a little more laid back and a little warmer. I still think that both DACs are very close in terms of resolution, extension, and soundstage. Are you comparing both with a separate amp or through both units' headphone amp?

So far I've started by using both as DAC + headphone amplifier. My observations are based on that. At some point I'll probably also try to separate the two functions by connecting them to each other or some other equipment. For STAX they can only be used as DACs (and volume control) anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back