Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Jan 4, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #31 of 762
As Happy Camper mentioned......

You can use the XLR outputs which are a direct out or you can use the 1/4" output, which follows the volume control. Obviously the XLR is the more pure output, but the 1/4" can have it's advantages too. Pick your poison.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #32 of 762
Quote:
Thanks for this, I'm going to audition it next weekend. Do I need XLR-RCA adapters for this, my amp is RCA only.

Your local Radio Shack might or might not have them (mine didn't).  You need female RCA to male XLR.

Tell Jason you need them.  He might be able to loan them to you.  Or he might just whip up a custom RCA-to-XLR cable for you.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #34 of 762
The XLR output is sending a "balanced" signal, which is very different from a consumer line-out. Pin 1 is ground, pin 2 signal is in phase, pin 3 is phase inverted. Normally what then happens at a balanced input is the phase inverted signal is reversed and summed with the in-phase signal by an op-amp circuit. This effectively neutralises any noise picked up in transmission, which is why it is used in pro systems. Obviously without the phase inversion circuit at the input you loose this benefit. It is possible to take the in-phase signal off pin 2 and use pin 1 as ground and connect them to an RCA connector and the like. As mentioned, there are adaptors for this purpose. This will now be a simple two wire line signal, no cleaner or better in quality than any standard line level signal. The disadvantage is that the voltage will be halved, since in the balanced setup the in-phase and inverted signals are added together, but in this case you are throwing away the inverted half. If your amplifier gain is sufficient and you have a low noise floor it shouldn't be a problem. In general I try to keep everything balanced.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

-J

Jan 5, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #35 of 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1212 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The disadvantage is that the voltage will be halved...

If your amplifier gain is sufficient and you have a low noise floor it shouldn't be a problem.

-J

No, that depends on the topology of the output, e.g., if it uses cross-coupled (often called "servo"), the output delivers exactly the same voltage regardless of running balanced or unbalanced, and the unused pin is referenced to ground (it usually must be when operated unbalanced). You can determine this from the schematic, other info from the manufacturer, or via trivial tests on the output, I don't recall what the Hilo uses (neat unit though when I played with one).

In addition, unless the "pro" gear has a configuration for setting output level to the nominal "consumer" standards, the output is already much higher so even if the output topology results in it halving when unbalanced, you're more likely to have concerns over overloading the input of the target than worrying about having enough gain.

Anyone making a cable/adapter to do this rather than buying one known to be correct (or a proper line-matching amp) should check the schematics / manual / manufacturer site for proper information: using the wrong technique can degrade SQ best-case and damage your equipment worst-case.

Edit - Hilo users can find this information in section 5.3 of the current Hilo manual.

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #36 of 762
Quote:
[...]
I'm going to audition it next weekend. Do I need XLR-RCA adapters for this, my amp is RCA only.

Don't forget that the Lynx Hilo has several functions including:
  1. ADC
  2. DAC
  3. Digital signal switch
  4. Digital signal converter
  5. Pre amplifier with digital and analog inputs
  6. Headphone amplifier with digital and analog inputs

The headphone amplifier (module/section) is good. Don't overlook/pass on it. Some forum users have compared it to the Bryston BHA-1.

As I've written before in an other Lynx Hilo thread called "Lynx Hilo: Any opinions on the Headphone amplifier of the Lynx Hilo?":
So far I like it with Sennheiser HD 800, and it does a better job with this headphone than Grace Design m903. Both were used as DAC + headphone amplifier fed via USB from a PC running foobar2000.

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #37 of 762
Don't forget that the Lynx Hilo has several functions including:
  • ADC
  • DAC
  • Digital signal switch
  • Digital signal converter
  • Pre amplifier with digital and analog inputs
  • Headphone amplifier with digital and analog inputs

The headphone amplifier (module/section) is good. Don't overlook/pass on it. Some forum users have compared it to the Bryston BHA-1.

As I've written before in an other Lynx Hilo thread called "Lynx Hilo: Any opinions on the Headphone amplifier of the Lynx Hilo?":
So far I like it with Sennheiser HD 800, and it does a better job with this headphone than Grace Design m903. Both were used as DAC + headphone amplifier fed via USB from a PC running foobar2000.
Good to know. I use a tube amp for dynamics so this would give me another very good hp amp without firing up the tubes. Do we know what the w output is of the hp amp?

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #38 of 762
"No, that depends on the topology of the output, e.g., if it uses cross-coupled..."

Thanks for the refinement, Heycarnut. I was outlining the simplest scenario to avoid information overload, but good point.

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #39 of 762
Good to know. I use a tube amp for dynamics so this would give me another very good hp amp without firing up the tubes. Do we know what the w output is of the hp amp?

The brochure doesn't specify output power in mw; it simply says "output level at max volume +19dBu." My guess is that it's putting out 150-200 mw max into the nominal 300 ohm load presented by the HD 800. Probably not a good match for the HE-6. :cool:

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #40 of 762

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=228757901&listingid=236134356

There is an internal jumper that you can reset to boost the 1/4" monitor outputs to line level.

The versatility of this unit blows my mind. Every time I go back to the documentation I find something I hadn't previously seen, and it usually causes me to say "wow, that was really well thought out."

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #43 of 762
Quote:
There is an internal jumper that you can reset to boost the 1/4" monitor outputs to line level.
The versatility of this unit blows my mind. Every time I go back to the documentation I find something I hadn't previously seen, and it usually causes me to say "wow, that was really well thought out."

Yeah, it really is a neatly done unit, and being FPGA they can add features, even pretty complex ones, via software/firmware upgrades. Had the Antelope Eclipse not been on the horizon (also very well executed), I probably would have kept the unit I played with.

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #44 of 762
Should you be interested, I've found a vendor pricing this @ $1850 for purchasing two(another member interested). If anyone is interested in joining the purchase, we can see what else we can get (if any) if more are in a group buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back