Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Dec 21, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #16 of 762
i guess im bumping this thread...

im listening to a Hilo right now, on loan from a local (seattle) pro audio dealer. it really is pretty damn awesome.

the detail and separation are incredible. everything is floating on an infinitely black void - there is just SO MUCH room for any sound that comes out of the device. it actually feels like each instrument is on its own isolated layer of perfect silence. every little detail is there to be experienced and scrutinized as much as you desire. 

It occurred to me that in today's home audio market this box is very dynamic. it does have a phenomenal DAC and very good amp, AND a dead quiet, dynamic, pre-amp (could be used to drive some wicked powered speakers). And if you happen to be a vinyl guy that wants to archive, it has one of the very best a/d converters around. imagine this box, and a pair of dynaudio's or genelecs.. could be a pretty magical and compact setup.. damn..

im dying to try my hd650's on it, and just may need to buy a pair of high end cans. will be very fun to take to the next local meet.

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #17 of 762
I bought one of these about a month ago and have been loving it. It replaced a Anedio D2, which I thought was a great unit. Compared to the Anedio, the Hilo has better extension at both ends and tighter bass. Since I've primarily used this with my headphone amp, I won't comment on soundstage depth or width.  I haven't tried the A/D section, but based on what I hearing now, I'm sure it will be as good or better then my Benchmark. Overall this is a very flexible unit that is hitting all the right buttons sonically in a very small footprint. I look forward to hearing what other members think.

Dec 26, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #18 of 762
Anyone using the Hilo to rip vinyl?  If yes, please post impressions.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #19 of 762
I've been playing with the Hilo since Friday, and I think it's a keeper.

It's at least as good as, and maybe better than, my incumbent DAC and amp (Resonessence Concero/ Bryston BHA-1), and vinyl rips using the Hilo's A/D converter are noticeably better than what I've been getting using the MacBook Pro's internals.

Haven't tried any DSD recordings yet.  Not sure I will until prices for DSD downloads come down significantly.  Nice to know that capability is there.

LOVE the touchscreen.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 762
Thank you guys for saving me some D2 envy. This takes care of a few things in the hobby (converting tape/laser discs, etc) I didn't consider but adds to the value. The headphone amp completes a collection of decent mid fi amps (ss and tube) for dynamic use. It is upgrade friendly and has capabilities I've yet to know I want. Wonder what this will do against the current $2k market champions?

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #21 of 762
I've been playing with the Hilo since Friday, and I think it's a keeper.

It's at least as good as, and maybe better than, my incumbent DAC and amp (Resonessence Concero/ Bryston BHA-1), and vinyl rips using the Hilo's A/D converter are noticeably better than what I've been getting using the MacBook Pro's internals.

Haven't tried any DSD recordings yet.  Not sure I will until prices for DSD downloads come down significantly.  Nice to know that capability is there.

LOVE the touchscreen.

Software upgrade incl. DSD.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #23 of 762
It's definitely a keeper. I hope to try the DSD capability soon.

I bought two DSD downloads from Downloads NOW, the site that's affiliated with Blue Coast Records: "Road Song," by dobro master Rob Ickes, and the San Francisco Symphony recording of Mahler Symphony No. 1 (which I already own as a 88.2/24 PCM download from HDTracks).

The combination of the Hilo and Audirvana 1.4.2 worked flawlessly, with no drama.

On the Mahler the DSD file provided small but noticeable improvements in transient response, air, and faithful reproduction of instrumental timbres. Enough to justify the 2.2x price difference? Tough call.

I hadn't previously heard the Ickes album, but I have heard him play unamplified, from 6-8 feet away, in workshops at bluegrass festivals. What I heard from the DSD file is remarkably close to what I think I remember hearing at those workshops. And the piano accompaniment sounds as lifelike as any recording i can remember hearing.

DSD files cost about as much as 45 rpm, 2x180gm vinyl reissues. When you think about that way, it puts the value proposition in a different context. Availability is the biggest issue. I probably own 25-30 hybrid SACDs. If I could find a ripping solution that didn't require additional hardware, I'd be all over it.

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #26 of 762
Quote:
Does it support DSD 128? Or just 64

Oddlly, the manual supplement for the firmware update doesn't specify that.  If it's important to you, I'd suggest a phone call or an email.  And please post what you find out.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #27 of 762
Quote:
I'd love to hear one of these and wondering if it would be an improvement over my Grace m903. Sure like the look of it.

ProAudioLA, where I bought mine, has a demo program. Email jason at info@proaudiola.com.  Place is hard to find (on a tiny side street off Fletcher Dr. in Atwater Village), but they're cool to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back