KOSS PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition [Photos + Review]
Apr 14, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #61 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Koss USA only for now...I will order mine tomorrow.

I'll be ordering mine this week as well. They will be a nice addition to my Portapro collection.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #62 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I 'spose that could be worth a few bucks extra.
Do we know how the anniversary cable differs from the regular one?

IMHO I don't much trust that black lettering to still be there in time either.

The lettering on the original one is not that bad, I still have a few pairs around intact, about the cable, I could tell you as soon as I get mine, but being just more sturdy and durable, as it seems to be the case, will be good enough for me, and if on top, it looks better, that is a plus...but FYI I'm not one of those bats...er....cable believers myself, so once you reach certain level.....well....I will not go to deep into that...
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #65 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems that non of the headphone companies puts cables in high priority. The only example that I know of a stock cable which is well regarded here is the stock hd600/650 cable. But I suspect this is only because the older version of the hd600 cable was made out of steel or something and got replaced with cooper.

The K400/K500 had good cables and the current K601/k701 with their own star-quadish cables that use good dielectric. If you were thinking of a moderate system, I would suggest keeping them stock. Even switching to a Mogami starquad from the stock on these headphones made very little difference and not something you would notice on moderate equipment. The K401 did not have cables as good as its younger brethern as it used 3 conductors instead of 4 (give each channel its own ground).

If you were looking into the higher scale of things it is something which many people do immediately.

There are headphones that come with not-so-good stock cables (Sony and Ultrasone come to mind). One of the reasons why people don't like single sided is that they usually only use 3 conductors of equal size. That doesn't entirely make sense because each channel is sourcing the size of one conductor and can only sink half the size of the ground. Plus, you see daisy chaining within the headphones of the ground between the drivers which could possibly result in some noise from one channel reaching teh other channel unnaturally.

Portable's don't generally like thick cables and sometimes it can make it sound worse. Over gauged wire is not a good thing, can really mess with balance for one thing. There isn't a cable IMO that is perfect for all headphones anyways, esp. once you account for taste. Then, scaling the headphone cable with the other gear. There is no reason in heck to have a $200 cable on a $200 headphone when the source and amp cost $500 combined. Be logical.

I am a 100% believer in cables, but you have to know what they can do (where and how). IMO, the cables should never be more expensive than the headphone.

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #66 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by discoscience /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being that these are limited edition, I wonder if the old lifetime guarantee still stands?

I have asked two retailers the same question and they both confirm that the 25th Anniv Ed. Still has the same lifetime LIMITED lifetime warranty. Need to read fineprint on what's covered though. They might replace it with another item if not available anymore.
redface.gif

:: KOSS :: Welcome

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #67 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K400/K500 had good cables and the current K601/k701 with their own star-quadish cables that use good dielectric. If you were thinking of a moderate system, I would suggest keeping them stock. Even switching to a Mogami starquad from the stock on these headphones made very little difference and not something you would notice on moderate equipment. The K401 did not have cables as good as its younger brethern as it used 3 conductors instead of 4 (give each channel its own ground).

If you were looking into the higher scale of things it is something which many people do immediately.

There are headphones that come with not-so-good stock cables (Sony and Ultrasone come to mind). One of the reasons why people don't like single sided is that they usually only use 3 conductors of equal size. That doesn't entirely make sense because each channel is sourcing the size of one conductor and can only sink half the size of the ground. Plus, you see daisy chaining within the headphones of the ground between the drivers which could possibly result in some noise from one channel reaching teh other channel unnaturally.

Portable's don't generally like thick cables and sometimes it can make it sound worse. Over gauged wire is not a good thing, can really mess with balance for one thing. There isn't a cable IMO that is perfect for all headphones anyways, esp. once you account for taste. Then, scaling the headphone cable with the other gear. There is no reason in heck to have a $200 cable on a $200 headphone when the source and amp cost $500 combined. Be logical.

I am a 100% believer in cables, but you have to know what they can do (where and how). IMO, the cables should never be more expensive than the headphone.

Thanks for the info. And no worries. I'm either using 26/28awg SPC or cooper 26awg from mogami mic cables. I also like to use thinner gauge for signal and thicker for ground. That makes more sense to me. I also like to keep the channels separated (like they do in stock or pro cables) and not intermixed or braided. For example if I use a quad mic cable I strip the jacket and the shielding then heatshrink/techflex the twisted pairs individualy.
Or just make two indivdual 4 conductor litz braids for each channel if I use the navships SPC. Making it a whooping 8 conductor cable
evil_smiley.gif

p.s
Damit Sovkiller! Can I trust you? Any chance I paypal you 80$ for the cans + what's needed for shipping and you order me them damn Porta's?
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: just figured that might turn out as a bit of a hassle. I have a fellow head-fier here who's got a pall from the US. I could ask him if it's ok to use his adress so you'll basicaly won't have to do much, just order the phones and give them the adress I'll give you.
It's just that it'll be sorta stupid if the biggest portapro fanboy (me) won't be the owner of the 25th Anniversary Edition
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #68 of 174
Quote:

Thanks for the info. And no worries. I'm either using 26/28awg SPC or cooper 26awg from mogami mic cables. I also like to use thinner gauge for signal and thicker for ground. That makes more sense to me. I also like to keep the channels separated (like they do in stock or pro cables) and not intermixed or braided. For example if I use a quad mic cable I strip the jacket and the shielding then heatshrink/techflex the twisted pairs individualy.
Or just make two indivdual 4 conductor litz braids for each channel if I use the navships SPC. Making it a whooping 8 conductor cable
evil_smiley.gif

p.s
Damit Sovkiller! Can I trust you? Any chance I paypal you 80$ for the cans + what's needed for shipping and you order me them damn Porta's?
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: just figured that might turn out as a bit of a hassle. I have a fellow head-fier here who's got a pall from the US. I could ask him if it's ok to use his adress so you'll basicaly won't have to do much, just order the phones and give them the adress I'll give you.
It's just that it'll be sorta stupid if the biggest portapro fanboy (me) won't be the owner of the 25th Anniversary Edition
smily_headphones1.gif

If you Paypal me the $80.00 + plus the fees I will order it for you, later on when I receive them I will send you an email with the cost of the shipping...no problems, but has to be right now, as I will order them today before 12:00 noon....

They will no be on the website, that was why I posted the info, I drop them an email asking...

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #69 of 174
As a side note, its already available for sale in retail shops for some time already here in Singapore. Somewhat surprising that other countries still haven't got an official release.

Apr 14, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #72 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryPham /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats the retail on these new 25th anniversary portapros?

$79.99 with free shipping in US....I just ordered mine this afternoon...

Quote:

Merde!! Did I miss the train?
ph34r.gif

Sorry Peyotero but I got nothing from you till late past lunch time, by that time I had just placed the order for mine, will be next time...I did not want to take chances they told me that availability will be limited...for dealers they will honor a better price, and you may need to order a bigger quantities, and wait for months...

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #73 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$79.99 with free shipping in US....I just ordered mine this afternoon...

Sorry Peyotero but I got nothing from you till late past lunch time, by that time I had just placed the order for mine, will be next time...I did not want to take chances they told me that availability will be limited...for dealers they will honor a better price, and you may need to order a bigger quantities, and wait for months...

It's fine mate I'll figure something out. I didn't have your email + I'm on a vacation so I just log in where ever I find a computer
normal_smile .gif

Post some pics when you get yours.

Apr 18, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #74 of 174
Wow, 25th Anniversary Portapros, certainly a tempting collectors piece. I doubt Koss changed the cable, they likely just sleeved the stock wire. I wish there was a little more to justify the doubled price, but they are a couple of steps up in the looks department at least
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #75 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, 25th Anniversary Portapros, certainly a tempting collectors piece. I doubt Koss changed the cable, they likely just sleeved the stock wire. I wish there was a little more to justify the doubled price, but they are a couple of steps up in the looks department at least
wink.gif

To use a different cable in an aniversary limited edition is not big deal for a company like Koss that have been around forever, especially if they increase the price. It is more hassle for them to sleeve the existing cables, rather than to order new ones. If they did it or not, we will know later on as soon as the first "audiophile" here replace it. But nost likely that they did...Anyway to me that is not a relevant point, it looks better, and if on top they sound better, that will be plus...but we like them the way they are now....
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back