KOSS PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition [Photos + Review]
Apr 9, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #32 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nagasaki_Kid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else notice that the portapro cable has been getting thinner and thinner through the years? All my 90's koss 60 ohm have thicker cables.

Yeah I've noticed that aswell. Doesn't bother me much because I recable them all anyway but I wonder what's the deal with those puny wires. Do they really cut costs if they put thinner wire?

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #33 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And a quick question: are the Portapros better than the KOSS KSC75s?

I can safely say PortaPro definitely outperforms the KSC75s in the bass department at least. And I feel its more comfortable than KSC75s clips.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #34 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I've noticed that aswell. Doesn't bother me much because I recable them all anyway but I wonder what's the deal with those puny wires. Do they really cut costs if they put thinner wire?

Well, for starters, thinner wires means lighter cables and more flexibility for the general consumers I believe.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #35 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whenesday /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can safely say PortaPro definitely outperforms the KSC75s in the bass department at least. And I feel its more comfortable than KSC75s clips.

Bear in mind though, the bass differences are due to the clamping force of the headband. If I put the px200 pads on the KSC75's, they beat the porta's in every single regard. And I mean this literally.
The reason I'm saying this is that if some one has the ksc75's and wants to try the porta's for better SQ, I'd advise going the px200 pads route to get better results.
Better SQ and still cheaper then the portapro's.
Unless of course one finds the ksc75's clip ons uncomfortable. Then I dare to say that the porta's px200 pads might outperform some of the 100$ + popular cans here. Or atleast the Grado sr60 for sure.

With all that said, I still want that damn Anniversary Edition on my shelf!
ph34r.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #36 of 174
Quote:

If I put the px200 pads on the KSC75's, they beat the porta's in every single regard. And I mean this literally.
The reason I'm saying this is that if some one has the ksc75's and wants to try the porta's for better SQ, I'd advise going the px200 pads route to get better results.
Better SQ and still cheaper then the portapro's.
Unless of course one finds the ksc75's clip ons uncomfortable. Then I dare to say that the porta's px200 pads might outperform some of the 100$ + popular cans here. Or atleast the Grado sr60 for sure.

That's quite a claim! Has anyone else tried this? I'd be tempted to test that out myself. Is it easy to put the pads on?

Apr 10, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #37 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat King /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's quite a claim! Has anyone else tried this? I'd be tempted to test that out myself. Is it easy to put the pads on?

I'm plannin on purchasing the pads, and while I can't vouch for the mod, I can certainly vouch for the concept behind it. It's the same idea behind the Alessandro MS-1000 mod - more distance = less muddiness, more clarity and soundstage

The same can be said when you transport the drivers from a SportaPro and attach KSC-75 clips onto it. Because there is less clamping pressure which results in placing the drivers too close to the ear, the sound becomes rather dark and muddied. You get more air and soundstage.

I imagine with the PX200 pads specfically, because they are made of pleather (a sealed, non-perforated material like foam), it is able to
a) Create a better seal which should hypothetically retain more of the lower frequency
b) increase distance of driver from ears, thus improve clarity and soundstage.

Again, all hypothetical for this specific application, but using other headphone mods as examples, the mod should at the very least show some signs of sonic improvements. In other words, you shouldn't lose anything sonically.

Pads are easily placed, there are little spike grips on the headphones that just grab the pleather easily.

AND to bring this back to topic..this mod can be applied to the PortaPro as well! And I can't wait to see when this thing will be released

Apr 10, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #38 of 174
The drivers of the KCS-75 are inferior in overall sound quality by far to the ones used in the Portapro, the sound is not the same. IMO there is no way the KCS can perform at the same level the PP in any mod, not in vane the difference in price...About the mods, I have here the pleather pads of the Radio Shack headsets (a classical mod here in head-fi for the PP) that are similar and they create a real bad hollow effect on the sound of the PP, not worth even a try...Just my 2 cetns...

Apr 10, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #39 of 174
That depends on the pads. I have 4 different types of pleather pads that I tried with the porta's and they all sound different.
The px200 are the smallest and the flatest while the inner diameter of the hole is the biggest. They give the tightest fit, too.

I'm so confident in this mod that I'm willing to send the pads to anyone (almost anyone that is
regular_smile .gif
few small conditions apply) who's willing to try'em. If he likes them then he can keep them for 6$ (half of what I paid for them). If he doesn't, then he can send them back to me or to the next guy who's willing to try'em (with my approval of course).

p.s
hope you guys don't mind the offtopic-ness. atleast unteal the 25's AE are out in stores. in the worst case you'll have some oftopicness. in the best case you'll get the best looking, best sounding porta's in the world
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #40 of 174
I was so curious I just went out and bought some px200 pads for my Portapros.

Initial thoughts.....

Bass is way improved! Really punchy and less muddy than before. Treble feels clearer too, albeit a little more "far away" (obviously because of the increased distance from the ear). However, the mids seem to have all but disappeared.

It reminds me of when I used HD414 pads on them. The extra distance between the driver and my ear seemed to suck the mids out in that case too. I'd love to get rid of the foam covering the driver, but it looks pretty thin already, I can't imagine it's blocking that much out.

I haven't kramer modded my PPs, so I don't know how much of an effect that would have on the sound with the px200 pads.

Still, it is a pretty fun sound, and it'll definitely get me using my PPs again, at least for a while!
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #42 of 174
Quote:

That depends on the pads. I have 4 different types of pleather pads that I tried with the porta's and they all sound different.
The px200 are the smallest and the flatest while the inner diameter of the hole is the biggest. They give the tightest fit, too.

I'm so confident in this mod that I'm willing to send the pads to anyone (almost anyone that is
regular_smile .gif
few small conditions apply) who's willing to try'em. If he likes them then he can keep them for 6$ (half of what I paid for them). If he doesn't, then he can send them back to me or to the next guy who's willing to try'em (with my approval of course).

p.s
hope you guys don't mind the offtopic-ness. atleast unteal the 25's AE are out in stores. in the worst case you'll have some oftopicness. in the best case you'll get the best looking, best sounding porta's in the world
tongue.gif

Probably that was the problem, on the ones I have, the hole is not that big and partially cover the driver around the edge part, it sounds like when you listen an speaker through a pipe, really disgusting sound...

BTW if you decide to go ahead, include in that list, I will be more than happy to give them a try and report back...and if I like them will keep them...

The Portapros are IMO special headphones, as they offer so much for that little price, that they are really hard to beat for the use they were intended to, unless you want to drop some serious cash (keep in mind that I got my two pairs for around $20.00 each, in a sale....
wink.gif
) not sure why people get some other headohones, paying more than the double, to get worst sound and on top a very limited warranty, and sometimes a horrible customer support...with Koss $6.00 and you get a new pair at the door, no questions asked...

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:06 PM Post #43 of 174
Drop me a pm with your address. I'm on a little vecation right now which will last for about a week. I'll send the pads to you when I get back home. Take a week to audition them and post some impressions. Although it should be apearant slmost right away if there's something wrong with the sound.

Then if (when) you decide to keep the pads, don't forget to reterminate your porta's with balanced
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #44 of 174
Quote:

Drop me a pm with your address. I'm on a little vecation right now which will last for about a week. I'll send the pads to you when I get back home. Take a week to audition them and post some impressions. Although it should be apearant slmost right away if there's something wrong with the sound.

Then if (when) you decide to keep the pads, don't forget to reterminate your porta's with balanced
wink.gif

Balanced OMG!!!, nah the PP are just for protable use...PM sent!!!

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #45 of 174
Quote:

Sucked out mids? hmm.. I'll have check myself when I get back home from my home town.

Where did you get the pads from so fast? And for how much?
Can you post some pics?

There's a great shop in Osaka called "e*Earphone", I was looking for tips for my Monster Turbine IEMs and found them. They were 1250 yen.

I totally agree with Sovkiller, it really is like listening to the highs and mids through a pipe, although I wouldn't say it's 'disgusting'. It's a unique sound signature that will take getting used to, though for bass-heavy music, it's definitely an enjoyable sound.

Obviously, portapros were designed with their stock foam pads in mind. From what I've found from testing various pad combinations is that each will always favour a particular part of the PPs sound, rather than the whole sound signature altogether. In this case, the px200 pads favour the base, at the expense of the mids, and to an extent, the highs. The HD414 pads did basically the same thing, though at the expense of the bass too.

I guess it all depends on what you favour. The px200 combo produces a very dark sound, which I'm personally used to because my primary headphones are Sennhesier HD650. But that's obviously not for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back