KOSS PortaPro 25th Anniversary Edition [Photos + Review]
Apr 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #46 of 174
That's intresting. I'm with you on the bass department but my personal experience with the rest of the spectrum was quite the opposite. It seemed to me that the pads boosted the whole frequencies all together. The highs don't sound as thin and splashy and the vocals are prominent and coherent.
Also they don't sound distant to me at all with the pads. More agressive, even.
But what do I know? All I've done all those years on head-fi is listening to the porta's and modding them without a refference point.
That's why I want other ppl to try the pads. To see if I've done anything "illegal" in the audio world.

Hopefully more impressions will reveal the mystery :p

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #47 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bat King /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It reminds me of when I used HD414 pads on them. The extra distance between the driver and my ear seemed to suck the mids out in that case too. I'd love to get rid of the foam covering the driver, but it looks pretty thin already, I can't imagine it's blocking that much out.

I haven't kramer modded my PPs, so I don't know how much of an effect that would have on the sound with the px200 pads.

I'm not sure how the kramer mod affects the 60 ohm non-titanium koss drivers, but based on the premise, it should definitely free up a lot of mids (actually frees up the entire mids to high spectrum) You should definitely try it out!

Apr 11, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #48 of 174
Yeah, the kramer mod helps with mids and makes the bass even tighter with the non-titanium drivers, too.. But in my experience it's sortta easy to **** up. It makes a difference where you drill the holes and how much. The way I understand it, the outer rim is for bass (will extend lower if you drill there). The middle is for mids and towards the center are the highs.
I'm still experimenting with different combos. Wanna keep the sound as balanced as possible and let the details out without making them fatiguing or distorted.

As for the px200 pads, lucky you Bat King because the pads are damn rare. Dunno how much 1250 yen is but if I get them locally they go for whooping 17$. So I got them from ebay from the only guy selling them (which sucks cause there's no competition).

If anyone wants to buy'em from erikek tell him you're from the head-fi forums. He'll give you a discount. Also don't be shy to negotiate, he's a reasonable guy. Talk to him about headphones and audio before you talk about the price. He used to work for Koss. You'll soften him up
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #50 of 174
Wow, I didn't realise that the px200 pads were rare, nice! 1250 yen is probably about $12.50 US, the exchange rates are pretty even I believe. They actually had three or four pairs at that store, and in different colours.
icon10.gif

I'd been thinking about doing the kramer mod for a while, but had a fear of getting it wrong. I think now's a good time, I haven't had a lot of use out of the PPs in a few months. Couldn't hurt to give it a try.

How can you tell the difference between titanium and non-titanium driver models?

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #51 of 174
they certainly look cool, but for a limited edition you would think they would have put a half decent cable on them. looks like the same old POC cable in a cloth sleeve. but then I suppose they know that many recable them anyway.

Bat King: go for it with the mod man; its really not hard and I highly recommend you put a new cable on while you are at it. the koss models are possibly one of the best example of cables making a difference. I bought a couple pars of KSC75 to practice re-cabling on before attempting anything with my denons and it was easy peazy

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #52 of 174
Thanks for the support qusp, I'm planning to pick up a pair of KSC75 to do practice with kramer and cabling. However, to do the re-cable I'll need to get my hands on some decent cable...can't find any shops in Japan that sell headphone cable. If anyone knows of a place, or an online store that'll ship to Japan for less than an arm and a leg, I'd very much appreciate it.

Just an update on the px200 padded PPs, been using em on my commute for the last two days and I must say the sound sig is growing on me. The bass is perfect, and the soundstage feels much better than before. Guitars sound really great now, quite clear, and they really sing with distorted or overdriven guitar. However, the higs seem muffled, and the mids seem to have the right feel to them only if they're in the correct "position" in the soundstage. If it's too distant, it loses all its punch. I'll definitely be looking into that kramer mod!

Apr 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #53 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they certainly look cool, but for a limited edition you would think they would have put a half decent cable on them. looks like the same old POC cable in a cloth sleeve. but then I suppose they know that many recable them anyway.

Bat King: go for it with the mod man; its really not hard and I highly recommend you put a new cable on while you are at it. the koss models are possibly one of the best example of cables making a difference. I bought a couple pars of KSC75 to practice re-cabling on before attempting anything with my denons and it was easy peazy

It seems that non of the headphone companies puts cables in high priority. The only example that I know of a stock cable which is well regarded here is the stock hd600/650 cable. But I suspect this is only because the older version of the hd600 cable was made out of steel or something and got replaced with cooper.

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #54 of 174
For the ones interested in getting it, the price will be $79.99 the orders will be placed by phone only. Free shipping till May 1st...
wink.gif

To me it is a little pricey, but given that will be a limited edition and a unique item, I will get it....
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #56 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyotero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where from? Is it available worldwide?

p.s
the price is pefectly cool by me simply cause that's exactly the price they sold in my country for, FFSakes! :p

From Koss USA only for now...I will order mine tomorrow.

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #58 of 174
Other than as a collectable to leave on a shelf, I don't much see the point of paying twice the price of the original.
The new styling is pretty dull IMHO and the box, coin etc aren't much use beyond gathering dust on that shelf.
The PortaPro is ripe for a stylistic makeover but that ain't it.

Nice box though.

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #59 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than as a collectable to leave on a shelf, I don't much see the point of paying twice the price of the original.
The new styling is pretty dull IMHO and the box, coin etc aren't much use beyond gathering dust on that shelf.
The PortaPro is ripe for a stylistic makeover but that ain't it.

Nice box though.

People pay more than 100 for a fancy covered cable, sometimes and IMVPO, just for the sake of, as sometimes they do not even know what the upgrade is made of, at least Koss charged only $30.00 extra, and give you a different flavor, removed the ugly blue bottons, and improved a little bit the appereance, I mean if it was only a collectable, with no other value I agree, but I think that somewhat you are getting a better cable as well...

Apr 14, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #60 of 174
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, but I think that somewhat you are getting a better cable as well...

Well I 'spose that could be worth a few bucks extra.
Do we know how the anniversary cable differs from the regular one?

IMHO I don't much trust that black lettering to still be there in time either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back